Building an AR Puppy

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Building an AR Puppy

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:09 pm

We might want to vacuum seal our unopened long term metal mags to prevent slow plasticizer loss from the polymer. Then store in a cool, dark place: next to the Scotch.  

Doc?  Suggestions for long term (multi-decade) storage of plastics?  

Of course, in the future we might well be able to scan the part and then print out a fresh one in our 3-D printer.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Just got some stuff from BAD. I like their ambi safety and they have the neatest swivel & take-down pins. So I also got one of their handgrips. First blush it looks pretty nice.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Well, I got the lower built - mostly. It appears that the Vltor tube requires a special spring and buffer, and that won't be in stock until end of July. Something to do with the longer tube needing a special buffer and spring. Beats me.

So Mag-Tech lower. First of all, I have to say that comments that were on the website are true to an extent - at least in the one I got. I didn't have to file anything, but things were tight. It appears (to me) to be related to the Cerakote coat. Like I needed to work the hammer pin through the hole a number of times to get the hole loose enough to get a Geissele pin through. It took some time. I was afraid of using a drill for fear of opening the hole too large. I also had some trouble getting the BAD safety to turn easily. Still not easy but at least acceptable. I found using some of the grease that comes with the Geissele triggers made things move/turn a whole lot better.

The rear spring hole doesn't seem as large as it ought to be. It doesn't hold the rear pin really solidly, as I don't believe the detent comes through enough. But nothing to do there either. It does hold the pin.

But the thing is LIGHT. It seems it weighs about half the usual AR lower weight.

Those BAD pins are the nads! They go in so easily, and they are trick. I am replacing all my other pins with them too.

So. No particularly difficult things, no swear words, no lost springs, no chasing parts. But some "fitting".

That's 3.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Nice!

How well does the Mag-Tec lower mate to your uppers?  And that ambi safety looks really interesting. The wifey will need one for her pink AR: hurry up and test it! Wink  Can't find any info on the BAD pins -- a link please and what makes 'em The Nads?

Thanks!
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:47 am

The company is Battle Arms Development. I just went to their website and they don't seem to have the pins there, but Brownell's does.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=battle+arms/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=battle_arms/

My VLTOR upper mated perfectly to the lower - no work needed. But some of the comments said that some guys had a problem. I would suspect that it's part to part. So if I got one that didn't mate, I would send it back to Brownell's (I think that's where I got it) and have them send me another. I am not interested in adjustment work - I want things to simply fit and all I have to do is assemble. But others that handled the lower all noticed that it's lighter but a notable amount. Indeed, at the gun shop where I picked it up, the guy who signed it in immediately noted that it's a lot lighter than a normal one.

One other thing I forgot to mention. The trigger and hammer holes are "guarded", that is, have extra material. Thus standard pins don't come to the edges. I had to figure out how much was on either side to figure out that the pins were centered in the frame. The frame comes with pins that work for it, so you have the full sized pins available. I just used the Geissele pins as I thought they would be better. If you're using a regular trigger, I guess these pins would work fine. But once you've used a Geissele trigger, you won't go back. I sold the Timney one I got. The guy who bought it likes it, so it isn't bad. I just like these triggers. And so does everyone who shoots my rifles.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

Hmm.. those pins do look pretty cool. And they'll help with my knockwurst sized fingers. Bookmarked for the next build! And thanks for the report on the Mag-Tec lightweights.

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Which Geissele triggers did you go with? I've been thinking about swapping out my standard triggers.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:27 am

I seem to have a different trigger each gun. But it seems to me that the new cheaper $165 one (Geissele 2 stage GS2) is good enough for just about anyone. There are others but they don't seem all that different. I have the SSA & SSA-E and I don't find a lot of difference. The GS2 is basically a SSA but without a serial number and all the quality assurance checks. Still, it's a Geissele, and if it's bad I'm sure they will make good. I got my last one from Brownell's. Didn't look at the model on the bag so I can't tell you for sure, but I believe it was most likey a GS2. I paid $185 to Brownell's. Geissele is out of stock on that model on their website. If you are thinking of upgrading, I would wait for Geissele to have them in stock - cheaper.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:51 pm

CORN, i looked at the Brownells order confirmation and it was listed as the GS2-E. That would make it a cheaper version of the SSA-E, which lists for $230. That would imply that I have both the expensive and cheap versions of that trigger.

I've seen at least one review of the GS2 on Modern Service Weapons, and they liked it. They claimed they couldn't feel any difference between the GS2 and the SSA, despite the cost difference.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Range report.

I tried to post this from my iPad but for some reason it wouldn't post. So here it is.

First, kudos to MidwayUSA. I had ordered the spring kit I needed for the VLTOR buffer tube that I got and had it sent to the hotel that I was staying at. Then I left - and forgot to bring the ammo can that had my 300BLK ammo in it. A quick check of the local places showed no one had any. Talking to another guy here who is an avid shooter, HIS comment was that my best bet was on-line. I found ammo again at Midway and ordered it. It was suppose to arrive the day I was going to the range. But the delivery was quicker! Came Friday instead of Monday, along with the spring kit. So I was good to go.

The 300BLK initial outing was fun. I found the round to shoot easily, and seemed accurate. I only had iron sights, and it was apparent that these old eyes would do better with something with magnification. But the actual functioning of the gun was flawless. For some reason it shot low and to the left, but applying Kentucky windage I actually got great groups. And the GC2-E Geissele trigger was wonderful - as all their triggers seem to be.

The YHM DI gun was likewise great. It shot well, and I found the Eotech sight,which doesn't have magnification still was easy to shoot, at least at 100 yds. I created targets that would be great infantry targets - anyone who stuck his head up would be in trouble. AND it was easy.

The Sig piston gun continues to give me fits. I had a stuck case, a double feed (old case wouldn't shoot, then stuck up in the upper part of the receiver while the new round fed in from the bottom jamming the whole thing. Interesting little tidbit I picked up. Stuck cases in AR will often come out if you simply thump the rifle on its butt on something hard (careful as always of where the muzzle faces. This one wouldn't come out with a rod, nor with some oil down the barrel, but came right out with about 2 thumps on the ground. Keep that little tidbit in your heads.

Interestingly, I also had a number of FTF's with the Sig. But not much with the other guns. I wonder if the Sig has a tighter chamber or other parameters. OR perhaps I don't have the piston set to the right setting. I would have expected it was properly set from the factory, but maybe not.

So there it is, boys and girls. A good day at the range. AND I wore my vest from 0930 to about 1400 - in weather where both the temp and humidity were in the 90's.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Very cool, Dev.  

An Afghan hand showed us the tapping on the ground trick. However the stock must be fully retracted and if you've touched your forward assist - fugettaboutit. He wasn't a fan of the forward assist at all. He'd press the bolt forward with his thumb - if it didn't go, he'd chamber another.

Here's hoping you tame the SIG.

My eyes are taking early retirement, and I'm thinking about a low power scope. The AR Illuminaughty are high on the Burris MTAC FF. The FF combines a scope and a center red dot: theoretically the best of both worlds. I've played with a similar Leupy scope with a green center dot. A bit more money, but with that amazing Leupold sharpness and contrast. Thoughts?

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm generally a big fan of Leupold stuff. I like the fact I can spend all day with tired eyes and not get a headache nor debilitate my vision. I know there are other fine scopes, but I have kind of set my mind on Leupolds. This fact has kind of been demonstrated to me when hunting dogs, where you spend a goodly amount of time on the scope. Glass quality IS important.

?So which one are you thinking about.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:06 pm

BTW, I did hit the forward assist. It took a couple hits on the ground to get the case out. I expect that was due to the FA. But I have heard from others that energetic use of the FA can be bad. So I gently use it, and only once. It doesn't want to go, something is in the way.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I've always been really impressed by Leupold.

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-110683-VXR-1-25-4x20mm-Scope/dp/B004K9WUWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404431052&sr=8-3&keywords=leupold+1.25

It's a 1.25x4 scope, with a 20mm objective v the Burris' 24mm. For about a hundy more. I need to try them side by side. Another go with the 6.8 confirmed that it is a slightly sub-MOA rifle with handloads. I'll need some glass to take advantage of that accuracy.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the range report. Very curious as to why the Sig upper is having all those issues. Have you contacted Sig about it? I wonder how it works when you buy a Sig upper and not a complete gun when it comes to warranty purposes. Anyways, with the .300 blk, now you need to jump into the wonderful world of reloading for that cartridge. If you enjoy reloading, .300 blk can be very fun. You can go with super light varmint bullets like the 110 gr noslers and send them flying fast, or you can go all the way up to the 245 gr cast lead missouri bullets and slow them down to sub speeds. Fun stuff. Next is the suppressor... Smile
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Cornmastah wrote:...  Fun stuff.  Next is the suppressor... Smile

IF ONLY! You forget I live in the Soviet State of Illinois, where things like suppressors, autos, SBR's are not allowed.

I was looking at Midway for possibly buying some brass to reload. I have about 200 rounds now, of which only part are brass (after firing). I think I need more.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm

As far as brass is concerned, there are several options for buying converted brass. Unless you are loading for target accuracy, the converted brass options should be something to take a look at. There are several places online that sell converted lake city brass for very reasonable prices. Who knows, maybe you could load super accurate loads with the converted brass. Personally, I have yet to shoot factory ammo or even commercial brass through any of my .300 blk rifles. All my .300 blk ammo has .223 or 5.56 head stamps.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:39 pm

?So where do you find this converted brass. ?Has it been shot as 300BLK.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 am

You can usually find it on the classifieds of 300blktalk.com. That website is a great reference too for load data or all things 300 blk. The brass is usually once fired (as 5.56/.223) and then chopped, sized as 300 blk, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, primer pockets reamed to remove crimps, and then tumbled. Usually it is ready to load. A lot of guys set up Dillons with all the stuff and crank out the 300 blk brass. I am currently emailing a guy to try out 500 of his cases for about $87 shipped. My current cases I am using were converted by me using a mini chop saw from harbor freight and hornady dies. But, now that other people are doing them and doing them cheap, I figure I will save time and try out some of theirs. Some buddies have purchased some online and they have worked fine for them. Here is the link to the guy I am going to buy some from: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=89180
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:35 am

Looked at the site you put in. The cases LOOK good. I will await you getting some and speaking to their quality.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am

I just ordered 500, so I will let you know how they are when they arrive and when I load them up.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 am

Got the cases and they look pretty good. Going to load some up this weekend and test them out on monday morning.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Great! ?Where do you get your bullets.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:29 pm

I got the 245 gr subsonic cast lead bullets from here http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=182&category=6&secondary=&keywords=.

I got my 110 gr nosler's locally as well as my 125 gr hornady's.

As for my 150 gr bullets, I bought a large bulk pack at midway here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165163765/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-150-grain-full-metal-jacket-boat-tail-with-cannelure

I have also used some 147 gr pulls that I bought a long time ago.  I also load up those 150's in .308 as well as .30-06.

The hornady 150's are kind of my go to bullet for plinking and even shooting out to about 400-500 yards with the .300 blk.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks, Corn. I just bought 800 Hornady bullets from Midway. They seemed to have a decent price. I got 700 of the FMJ's - just to load for M1's and FAL's, and 100 Spire Point to load in the BLK for hunting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 pm