Socom 16

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Socom 16

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm

The current issue of Guns Magazine has a nice little article on the Socom-16, a 16" barrelled M14.

I have always been a fan of the Garand. One of the BIG reasons is that it balances so nicely when you shoot it. Some of that must come from the furniture, and some from the limited ammo load (8 rounds). It tends to leave you with a rifle that has some front end weight, which generally makes repeat shots easier.

This rifle may or may not have similar characteristics. The 5-shot magazine that it comes with is closer to the Garand load, so perhaps it makes the rifle easier to shoot similarly.

The short barrel apparently does cause some sound issues, although they didn't seem to mind it with ear protection. I have long ago taken on shooting with muffs, even when hunting. Indeed, I have found the muffs an improvement when hunting over my generally poor hearing.

Here is the link:  http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0814/?page=44   Hope it works, as I get the electronic mag as part of my American Handgunner subscription.

?Anyone have any experience or opinion.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Socom 16

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:27 pm

What kind of purpose would you buy it for?  The reason I ask is because for the last 5-6 years, I go through spurts of wanting to buy one.  I debate it over and over in my head--then I go to the gun shop and hold all of the various M1A models (socom II, socom 16, scout, regular, and match).  After holding them and debating them, I decide that for my purposes, I would be better served with the scout model.  Then, after choosing the scout model, I think about how my other firearms serve my purposes better (m1 garand for open sights longer range, AR10 for longer range precision semi auto, and AK in .308 for lightweight easy to carry shorter range .30 cal rifle).  Then, about a few months after deciding I don't really have a purpose for one, I start the process over again.  For some reason, I like M1A's and I want to buy one some day--but I keep talking myself out of it.  

The issues I have with M1A's: I like optics, especially on a gun that is so accurate, but M1A's don't have the best options out-of-the-box for mounting optics, and mounting them low enough to get a good cheek weld instead of chin weld.  Also, M1A's are a little tricky to suppress--you have to do some gas work so you don't break stuff.  Breaking it down for cleaning is a little more work than other options--I know, it isn't very difficult to do after doing it a few times, but other options are faster and simpler.

Overall, I think they are awesome guns, and I will own one or more some day.  However, for now, I still don't have one in the collection.  And every few months or so, I go and hold one and start the whole debating process over again.  Sorry about the low experience + high opinion post.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:00 pm

You might want to read the article.

Loss of velocity over a standard 22' barrel: 130fps. That's all. When you consider that the barrel is cut 6", that's not much. More to the point, it may just be able to shoot the distance.

Operating system. Even in the sandpile the M14 has proven reliable, durable, and functions as advertised. You can certainly accurize one, but this one gave 1-2 MOA out of the box. My (limited) experience is that rifles take a while to break in, so one could expect better performance down the road.

Optics. This particular model has a place to mount a forward scope. Not what you are accustomed to, but it works. The electronic optic apparently gave really good performance on fast acquisition of targets.

Take-down. I learned in the Marine Corps on an M14. It is somewhat second nature to take that puppy down. In review, if you can teach Marines to take them down easily and quickly, I really don't think you would have an issue, Corn. You DO have to clean from the muzzle end, an advantage to the AR. But the overall system is more robust and (I think) better designed than the AR. I really like the roller on the bolt.

I guess ultimately it's what you want. I can hardly claim to owning all guns that are "practical" or fill a specific niche. I just think it's a kool rifle. BUT it might be a touch loud.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:59 pm

I read the article, and it has some very interesting points. 130 fps loss for a 6" chop is not much at all--do you think it is cartridge based or firearm design based. I wonder, if you did the same thing out of a similar .308 semi-auto like an AR-10 or FAL, if you would get similar fps loss or not. Anyways, cool article and cool gun--think you will ever get one?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:06 am

Mebbe. I think I would rather have a Tavor. I already have one M14, but it's an accurized one that weighs a ton. Nice to shoot but not something you would want to drag around anywhere.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:30 am