You know you're a Gun Nut when (or maybe just getting old)

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

You know you're a Gun Nut when (or maybe just getting old)

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 pm

It has been a very trying and difficult week, the kind that use to end for me drinking a large amount of beer and sleeping late on Saturday.

Yet, I find myself instead in the last few years looking forward to getting home and spending part of Friday night at the handloading bench, followed by Saturday morning at the range. There's nothing like doing some handloading while listening to The Grand Ole Opry live on an AM radio, and firing off the ammo in the morning, to make the cares of the week disappear.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: You know you're a Gun Nut when (or maybe just getting old)

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:08 am

Gotta love the recoil therapy.

Whatcha reloading/ shooting?
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 am

Primary focus right now is on 357 magnum 158 lswc. I have realized that my usual load shoots a little low out of my S&W 65, so I am trying to find the right increased velocity so POI = POA. Once I get the right load, am going to try it in IDPA.

Also trying to find the right, but still safe, combo to propel 10mm 165 jhp at 1300 fps. My current load is close, but not quite there.

At the range. I am introducing a colleague to shooting. I have a 9mm load that is juuuuuust enough to reliably work the slide of a Glock 17, but no more than that. Very low recoil and perfect for new shooters. My kids love it. It looks a little pathetic though, because the empties just barely clear the gun.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm

What is your current .357 load you are testing? I'm also doing some load testing with some 158 gr lswc. This weekend I tested some using about 5.5 gr Unique, but I forgot to bring the chrono to see how fast they were moving.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I am testing AA9 with small pistol magnum primers. I was very pleased with 11.7 grains. No leading at all in any gun. However, I need to crank it up a bit for my fixed sight S&W 65. The 11.7 load was just a tad low at 13 yards.

Tested 12.4 grains yesterday (max listed load for AA9). I could not be more pleased. Didn't chronograph it yet, but I am pretty sure it will be around 1200 fps. It is dead on for my sights, and pretty close to my carry load in this gun (145 grain Winchester Silvertips). Zero leading at all.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:42 pm

I have not tried Unique for 357 mag yet. I would if I could find it. I am hoarding the Unique I have now for 45 Colt and 44 Special.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Hey Corn, if you need 357 mag cases, check out Starline. They're taking orders right now on new 357 mag brass. I buy 500 cases at a time from them every chance I get. 357 mag cases are getting harder and harder to find.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:34 pm

I got a 500 pack of starline nickel brass a few months back, so I think that will keep me busy for a little while, but thanks for the heads up.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 am

Been reading this thread and found your experience with loads interesting, TJ. I had always understood that the faster the bullet goes the lower the bullet strike on the target at any given distance. It was explained to me that if the bullet is faster, it spends less time in the barrle, so the recoil has less effect.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:51 am

Interestingly, I had been at the range in Evansville back > a week ago. At the time I was shooting 5.56 and the 300BLK. But John, my friend whose membership at the range allows me to shoot, just swept up the brass on the ground and put it all in a bag. Tonight I sorted it.

Kind of nifty to go through a bag of stuff and get all kind of cases. I found .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm, .357 Sig (quite a bit of that interestingly), then 5.56 and .300BLK. And a few .308 cases. Kind of like getting a surprise box.

2 days ago I got my shipment of Critical Duty .380 from TargetSportsUSA. They seem to have good deals on ammo often.

Still waiting for the AR mags from Palmetto Armory. I may have to call tomorrow.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:04 am

I had heard that too, but that theory never worked with any fixed sight handgun I have owned. Finally a cowboy shooter told me try heavier bullets to raise the impact and it worked. I think that because recoil starts while the bullet is still in the barrel, the heavier bullets raise the barrel a tiny bit. I have found the same effect if using the same bullet but increasing the velocity, although it doesn't raise POI as much as increasing the bullet weight.

However, this is only working with fixed sight handguns at 10 - 25 yards. The effect might be different with other types of guns.

I love the range brass bingo story. Guess you never know what you will get.

Tonight and tomorrow morning I will be experimenting with a beloved Winchester 94 and 30-30 handloads. I am looking for ability to consistently hit 3 inch dots free standing at 50 yards with iron sights.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Range Chicken Bingo:

My cowboy range sells unsorted brass at scrap metal prices. Most cases are the welcome 5.56, 9, 40 and 45, occasionally someone dumps out their 38 Special. Then, sometimes there's gold: .308, reloadable 7.62x39, 300 Win Mag, and once .30-06 cases with an 06 head stamp(!) including several Garand en bloc clips.  

Dev: My wife's Palmetto order arrived last week.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:20 pm

My range does the same thing. The RO's pick up brass all day long, they resemble guinea hens pecking in a yard. Then they'll sort it out and sell it for $4.00 a pound. Best deal in the firearms world.

Of course, most of it is 9mm, 40 S&W and 5.56. Sometimes though, there's enough for a pound of 357 mag or 44 mag. I got lucky a month ago, one of the RO's held back a fair amount of 44 mag brass for me.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I forgot to post the follow up to the above referenced IDPA match. So, where I left off was, the increase of powder was pushing the bullet a little faster, with slightly increased recoil, which raised the POI to POA. I'm shooting this load out of a 3 inch barrel S&W 65. Wasn't sure how the increased recoil would affect my typically unnoteworthy performance.

It worked very well. Once I settled into a rhythm, I was getting mostly "down-zero" or "down-one" shots. Most of the shots were on either moving targets, stationary targets while I was moving, or targets behind non-shoots or varying levels of cover.

Am very pleased with the ammo performance and thrilled with the gun. I, of course, need a lot more practice, but I did just fine with magnum level ammo, out of a real-world carry gun, carried in a real-world IWB concealment holster hidden under a real world untucked shirt (instead of the never-worn-outside-a-match standard IDPA vest).

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I went and shot with a local Marine Reserve Detachment a couple months ago. We shot about 50 rounds each that night.

BUT the fun part was that we didn't pick up our brass until the match was over. THEN the guy who ran the range gave me a BIG plastic zip-lock and I got to fill it as much as I wanted from the brass bucket. Apparently the range allows him to do that, since it was military guys that were shooting.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Dang, that sounds like a lot of fun.

My definition of a good night at IDPA is going home without leaving any 357 mag brass on the floor of the range. At my usual local match, there are usually only 2 revolver shooters. Another gentleman and me. We always pick up the brass and speedloaders for each other, because most of the semi-auto shooters have no appreciation for the difficulty in finding revolver caliber brass these days.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Went shooting with a friend today. He ended up sweeping up the floor of brass. So I got 9mm, some .40, some 5.56 - and a passle of .44 Mag! HA!
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Oh, yeeah. And I got all of my .357 Sig brass back!
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

One of these days, I need to start handloading 357 Sig. I like the caliber, and have a 357 barrel for my Glock 23. It's just the whole non-carbide die thing that keeps scaring me off.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Just lube the cases with One Shot. I put the brass in a smaller box, give it about a 1 sec spray, then shake the brass up. It all ends up lubed, so you just load it. I do this with all my brass, as I load mostly with a Dillon and it makes it easier to pull the handle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:01 am