1911 or Glock?

    Share

    Poll

    1911 or Glock (Poly Pistol)

    [ 1 ]
    10% [10%] 
    [ 4 ]
    40% [40%] 
    [ 3 ]
    30% [30%] 
    [ 2 ]
    20% [20%] 

    Total Votes: 10
    avatar
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 678
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    1911 or Glock?

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

    Go ahead -- choose!



    Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

    haskovez
    .17 HMR
    .17 HMR

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2014-03-06

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by haskovez on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 am

    Glock obviously. I want a gun that works, and it works at half the price or less...
    avatar
    LHUSBY
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Age : 53
    Location : Matthews_NC

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by LHUSBY on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am

    Uh Oh! I would go with Glock. But only because of capacity. Being an old school "steel" guy I tend to see myself inclined to it. But if you ask me Glock 17 or Berertta M9 I would say the M9. reason? It was my sidearm for 8 years in the Military.
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 751
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 am

    I own Glocks, and respect the 1911, but had to go with "neither". Too big a wheelgun fan to choose either option.
    avatar
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

    Posts : 107
    Join date : 2014-02-25

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Doc Wesson on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm

    Esquire, I wish we had a LIKE button on the fourms!


    _________________
    Host of the show
    http://gunnation.us
    avatar
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

    Posts : 44
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Age : 50
    Location : Arizona

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by AChristianMarksman on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 pm

    I enjoy both of my 1911's and I respect Glock, but I really love the Sig 226/9 and the Walther PPQ M2...
    avatar
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 678
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

    Both!

    This topic stems from Doc Wesson's 05Mar14 Gun Nation "1911s for Self Defense" podcast. Doc's, Grant's and AJ's poder is well worth a listen.

    I own Glocks and a SW1911. The Smidt is by far my favorite fun gun. I use it in SASS Wild Bunch competitions as well as informal target shooting and big noise plinking. With close to 2k rounds fired, it has never faltered, except for two instances that were clearly mag and ammo related faults *I* caused. It runs like a house afire in the demanding Wild Bunch competitions.

    That being said; when I get home the 1911 goes into the safe and the Glocks come out. To me, the Glocks are clearly better for the role of self-defense than my 1911; larger capacity, lighter, better combat sights, hollow-point friendly design, ease of reloading, and a proven reputation for reliability.

    IMNSHO, the 1911 is an expert's gun, requiring higher levels of maintenance and a knowledgeable, attentive user.
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1266
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:51 am

    haskovez wrote:Glock obviously.  I want a gun that works, and it works at half the price or less...

    Oh Hask! ?Why do you have to introduce emotion into this.

    I have (oops! wait!) let's just say >2 1911's, and "dis, dis, and dis, da bod a dem" work just fine. I once had a Gen 1 Glock 17, but foolishly sold it. It didn't fit me well, but it shot well when you got around to lining up the sights.

    The difference here is that a Glock will never be anything but a tool from a plumber's tool chest, while a 1911 can be a true work of art.
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 751
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:14 pm

    Those 17's are hard to overlook. Bought one about a year ago, as well as a G19 so that I'll be able to pass solid 9mm's on to my kids. It sure is easy to shoot well. It's as boring as a snow shovel, but sure is accurate, reliable and easy to shoot.


    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1266
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:54 pm

    Like I said, I once owned a G17 and wish I hadn't sold it. But then, I once owned a M15 S&W and wish I hadn't sold that also. Sometimes our brains turn to mush and flow in our earmuffs.

    All that said, I have a CZ in the nightstand, and if I ever decide to give Illinois all the blood money they are currently demanding for a CCW, I will probably carry a Sig 229. I have an old one. It has no rail - which I rather like. I put E2's on it and an SRT trigger and it is just the cat's meow. Still shoots SO well, plus I have a .357 Sig barrel for serious combat and a .40 for range time. While I understand Glocks, and feel they have real value (except Gen 4's) I just wouldn't carry one. It is too hard for me to make it shoot easily. I own wheel guns too, but wouldn't carry them either - for the same reason.

    The caveat, of course, is that I have an Airweight .38 Spl and DID carry it. But it was for prairie rattlers. Never did have to shoot one, but I had the pellet rounds in there ready. Nice little gun. I even have a pocket holster for it.
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 751
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:54 pm

    I gotta say, the volume of anti-1911 talk I'm hearing lately is a bit surprising. Not just here, or on the podcast, but elsewhere, too. Such statements would've been considered heresy a few years ago. Not that I'm a big 1911 fan.

    Wonder what the next Big Revelation will be?

    My prediction is that some tacticool-operator-dood with a huge YouTube follower base will come out to say that the current low-recoil, multi-shot, bullet-hose defensive strategy isn't as good as one or two really hard-hitting rounds.

    The 357 magnum will make a resounding comeback, Colt will reissue the Python, S&W will issue the 686 with 5 inch barrels, SL Variant speedloaders will fill the shelves of gun stores, and all will be well with the world.

    Okay, so I got a little carried away there...







    haskovez
    .17 HMR
    .17 HMR

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2014-03-06

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by haskovez on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:58 pm

    Devereaux wrote:
    The difference here is that a Glock will never be anything but a tool from a plumber's tool chest, while a 1911 can be a true work of art.

    I think you nailed it here. I don't want the work of art, I just want a tool. I want a purpose built device that works. So I like my Glocks, I like my Garand. Sure there are prettier rifles out there but the Garand gets the job done.
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1266
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:25 pm

    Tennessee Jed wrote:I gotta say, the volume of anti-1911 talk I'm hearing lately is a bit surprising.  Not just here, or on the podcast, but elsewhere, too.  Such statements would've been considered heresy a few years ago.  Not that I'm a big 1911 fan.  

    Wonder what the next Big Revelation will be?  

    My prediction is that some tacticool-operator-dood with a huge YouTube follower base will come out to say that the current low-recoil, multi-shot, bullet-hose defensive strategy isn't as good as one or two really hard-hitting rounds.

    The 357 magnum will make a resounding comeback, Colt will reissue the Python, S&W will issue the 686 with 5 inch barrels, SL Variant speedloaders will fill the shelves of gun stores, and all will be well with the world.  

    Okay, so I got a little carried away there...

    A little! Next we're going to be strapping on SAA's. That .45 Colt round DOES hit hard - if you load it well.
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 751
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:50 pm

    Now we're talking!

    I think I should start a poll, "S&W M&P or Colt SAA"
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1266
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 pm

    haskovez wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:
    The difference here is that a Glock will never be anything but a tool from a plumber's tool chest, while a 1911 can be a true work of art.

    I think you nailed it here.  I don't want the work of art, I just want a tool.  I want a purpose built device that works.  So I like my Glocks, I like my Garand.  Sure there are prettier rifles out there but the Garand gets the job done.

    Personally I kind of want both. I have Sig's and HK's as general purpose guns, but I have 1911's that have also served me well over the years. Went deployed with me, and they were fine with what they were.

    Combat tupperware is just, well, combat tupperware. The M&P is a very reliable weapon, has a different grip angle than a Glock, can be fixed with parts to change some of it's characteristics to better mimic 1911's. But they're still combat tupperware.
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1266
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm

    Tennessee Jed wrote:Now we're talking!

    I think I should start a poll, "S&W M&P or Colt SAA"

    That would be a kind of fun poll. You don't have to be truthful! Just fun to talk about.
    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1019
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 pm

    Love both--but for different purposes. I wear the glock daily but would glady open carry the 1911 at a BBQ.

    Sponsored content

    Re: 1911 or Glock?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 am