Gun Rags

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Gun Rags

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:09 pm

I once got a whole passel of magazines. Didn't seem to find them all the useful pretty much all the time. Once in a while there would be something useful, but overall, it didn't seem they were worth the money. So I cancelled them all.

Except American Handgunner. That has seemed to be a relatively useful magazine over time. They have great pics and often good articles.

My other mag is American Rifleman. I like that, but sometimes I think I am reading propaganda. I am not convinced of the truth of their commentary always. Seems they don't want to irritate any of the manufacturers.

So today I am wasting time in Noble & Greenough. Usual stuff - best sellers, none of which I am interested in reading, low cost books, which appear to have gone up in price from what they once were (was you could find the most bargain books for $2-3; now they're $6-7).

So I stop by the magazine racks and look at the various gun magazines. First, I was surprised they even had them. I thought they were too lefty. But there were a bunch of them. SO I perused them. Couldn't find anything I wanted to buy.

?You guys have any regular rags you find worth the time.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Gun Rags

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 pm

I subscribe to Gun Tests which isn't as fancy of a magazine (print quality wise), but I find the reviews to be somewhat refreshing. They don't seem to be afraid to fail crappy guns or give bad reviews where deserved. I have canceled all my others due to tons of ads and non-honest reviews.

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Handloader magazine

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

I also subscribe to Gun Tests, and am about to subscribe to Handloader. Also a big fan of American Handgunner. Those are my favorites by far. Handloader's sister publication, Rifle Magazine, is usually worth looking over.

Not a big fan of American Rifleman, it's just too much sometimes in the context of legislative issues. If I really believed all the hype, I'd go live in an off the grid cabin in rural Montana.

I also like Guns (sister publication of American Handgunner).

I refuse to even look at Guns & Ammo or Handguns anymore. The level to which those magazines have fallen since the glory days of Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfried is depressing.

I usually pick up Guns of the Old West, if for no other reason that I'm a cretin and I like the big colorful pictures of Cowboy Action Shooting guns.

Groan...I STILL miss Pistolero Magazine and Handgun Reviews. It's been decades since those went defunct, but I still miss them.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I will have to take a look at the Handloader magazine. What kind of articles do they have?

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Handloader has a surprising level of content. Usually an article or two on handloading a particular caliber that goes in depth, as well as a gun review or two, but the gun reviews always include tests of certain handloads through that gun.

One writer in particular, Brian Pearce, writes amazingly detailed articles on handloads in his gun tests. I learned a lot about handloading for my Ruger Blackhawk and snub nosed 38's from his articles.

Mike Venturino is another regular contributor.

Their Q&A columns by themselves are usually worth the cost of the magazine.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:00 am

So, handloader magazine... How much do you guys pay for it, and do you do the online subscription or traditional?

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 am

I originally had an online subscription and didn't like it. I prefer actual paper. Right now I'm buying them issue by issue at the grocery store, but need to fill out one of the subscription cards. Don't recall the price, but it's cheaper than most.

BTW, in the latest issue of Rifle (Handloader's sister mag), they have a column on the 7.62x39 caliber and use in bolt action rifles. Even have some info on reloading it. I think you'll like it based on your new CZ. I'll try to figure out how to get a copy sent to you.

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 pm

This is the most recent Handloader contents page:

I paid $USD19 for 12 months subscription via electronic pdf for all three of Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter.  The pdf is a good deal cheaper for me being outside of the USA.
    Back issues as pdfs are $USD10

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Heh, heh!

So I get the electronic versions of American Handgunner and Guns along with it (for some reason) and the latest Guns (Sept) has this big article about how good the Remington 51 pistol is. I just smiled. Catering to the manufacturer I guess.

I once got Gun Tests. It came on plain paper, and some of the tests were valid, but some were BS I thought. I felt I couldn't count on them so I quit them.

Just ordered the Concealed Carry mag, but it hasn't come through yet. And some time or other I will have to redo my subscription to AH.

I subscribe to something called LoadData which I can look at for loads when I don't want to bother looking in my (old) books.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm

You know, the whole question of obtaining accurate and informative stuff on weapons is difficult. The rags just don't seem to be inclined to pan stuff that needs panning. Some of the other sources are very narrow. Forums are often dangerous to even look at, considering the yahoo's there.

I go read what is posted on Modern Service Weapons (Hamilton Yam's stuff) but he tends to be limited to certain guns, and even then it's fighting guns. He will talk about drills from time to time, and some of the others will come up with something different from time to time, but mostly it's Glock, M&P, and AR's.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Oh, wow! Just went to the Handloader site and found LoadData was part of the conglomerate. How interesting! Guess I look at the back end of this stuff.

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Devereaux wrote:Oh, wow! Just went to the Handloader site and found LoadData was part of the conglomerate. How interesting! Guess I look at the back end of this stuff.
    However a subscription to handloader does not equate to access to loaddata as well unfortunately.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:07 am

Current date/time is Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:07 am