In a Funk

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

In a Funk

Post by Devereaux on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 pm

?You guys ever get in a funk where you don't have any interest in buying another gun.

I just don't see what I would want to spend money on right now to acquire. Nothing I think of is interesting enough to purchase.

I DID start cleaning cases. Indeed, I have cleaned about 10# of .45 ACP cases so far, and will probably start reloading them Monday. Meanwhile I need to set up a 9mm reloading head, and a 300BLK head.

OTOH I had an opportunity to go shoot with some Marines last Thursday evening and just didn't have the energy to pack my stuff and go out there. I was going to shoot my IPSC Super but then thought about having to clean it afterward and lost interest.

Maybe what I need is a butler to clean my guns!

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: In a Funk

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:23 pm

I find variety is the spice o' life.

But I've learned that if you don't want to do it - don't do it. You never want to make an avocation something you have to do - a hated job. That'll sour you for life.

Best, Dev.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I know exactly what you mean. It's been a while since there's been a new model I'm interested in. Those new models in which I do have some interest already bear a striking similarity to something else I already own (e.g., I was thrilled when S&W released the new model 66, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I couldn't see any advantage over the other 357 magnums I already own).

I find the latest offerings from firearms manufacturers are for the most part pretty boring.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm

This may just be time to stop buying guns and just go about shooting them.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 am

That's what I'm spending my time doing.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:52 am

Funk -- My wife's in St Louis, 10 miles from Ferguson, doing a well-justified Level 3 freakout, and I'm here in LA trying to get this @#$%^&* house sold.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Dang CF. Hope she's ok there and has a couple of effective "get-off-my-lawn" tools.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Yeah, she's got her CCW, cowboy guns, a case of .38 Special +P, some of my mil-surps and sardine cans. She also lives in a great little neighborhood, well stocked with deer hunters. She's as safe as anyone in St Louis. Trouble is, she has to drive toward the unrest to go to work. And company rules do not allow firearms, ammunition, or tobacco <shudder> on company property.  

And, she misses her bullet sponge.  

And, I'm frustrated I can't be there.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Must be tough not being there. Hope you get out there soon.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am

I think I am almost there? I've been shooting a lot lately, especially with the family reunions I've been at the last two weeks. There are some guns that I still kind of want, like the Uberti Schofield in 45 colt and a Savage LRPV in .223, but I don't have anything that is screaming out to me. When I get into the shooting funk, I usually just start reloading like a mad man or focusing on a different aspect like optics or suppressors. I also might change up the style of guns I am shooting, like going from handguns to long range guns. Lately I have really been getting into the longer range shooting and really enjoying that.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:02 am

Interesting approach Corn. I may have to do that. I have actually started cleaning cases, as I mentioned. Problem is, I have TONS of cases, so I could be cleaning for months. But I DO need some calibres as I am out of practice ammo.

DID get an interesting possible lead yesterday. Supposedly there is someone who is importing guns and ammo from Australia. Usually they deal with agencies, but supposedly they would be willing to sell to a civilian. The kicker is that it requires that they drop a CONEX box here. The would be -- wait for it -- 496,000 rounds of milsurp 5.56. A half million rounds. For $0.02/round. So for a mere $10,000 you get a half million rounds. Don't know if I believe this or not. But it sure would beat reloading. Imagine. 10,000 rounds for $200!

Probably isn't real.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:50 am

ha ha, well usually when something sounds too good to be true it tends to be so... but occasionally you can find real good deals. Heh, that would be a sweet deal though.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah, I know. But I would like it to be real. We will have to see how this shakes out.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Put me down for a thousand rounds at $0.03 per.

Rolling Eyes 

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Put me down for a thousand rounds at $0.03 per.

Rolling Eyes 

So let's assume this deal comes through. You realize it will probably cost more for the shipping than the ammo.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am

I assume you got out of the funk?

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Sort of. Otis got me into the 228 parts kit - for all of $170 including shipping. That was a steal. The barrel alone is more than that usually, and the slide, springs, etc are just an added bonus.

Almost bought the VP9, but like TJ at the last minute I decided that it's just a striker-fired P30, and I have a P30. I even changed the sights to some I like better. Now I would have to do all that all over again. Doesn't seem worth it.

I was bumming about at some gunstores a week or two ago (prompted the knife thread) and got a price on a Nighthawk. Merely $3k. Chump change. Like six VP9's! But it sure is nice. Be really nice to have a really custom 1911. I have some IPSC guns, and one that was modified which I carried to Honduras deployments, but not anything in the Nighthawk league. At least not that well known. I would put up my single stack IPSC 1911 against a Nighthawk for quality, etc, but the guy who built it doesn't have a national rep.

Trying some new .45 loads. I am using 200gr instead of 250gr. Same shape but shorter. I will have to see how they work.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Dev, you NEED that Nighthawk. You might as well come to grips with that.

And then, after hearing from you that it's a terrific pistol, I will need a Nighthawk.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Thank you, TJ. Just what I need is encouragement to spend a couple grand for a pistol. My wife would kill me.

But then, she'll outlive me anyway, and I would really LIKE that 1911. I mean REALLY LIKE it. Have to start working on her.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Devereaux wrote:...Trying some new .45 loads. I am using 200gr instead of 250gr. Same shape but shorter. I will have to see how they work.

Are these your 45 Colt loads? If so, I have mostly used 200 gr for mine, but have been thinking of trying some 250's.

Devereaux wrote:Thank you, TJ. Just what I need is encouragement to spend a couple grand for a pistol. My wife would kill me.

But then, she'll outlive me anyway, and I would really LIKE that 1911. I mean REALLY LIKE it. Have to start working on her.

Time to start the "money shuffle?"

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:17 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:...Trying some new .45 loads. I am using 200gr instead of 250gr. Same shape but shorter. I will have to see how they work.

Are these your 45 Colt loads?  If so, I have mostly used 200 gr for mine, but have been thinking of trying some 250's.

Devereaux wrote:Thank you, TJ. Just what I need is encouragement to spend a couple grand for a pistol. My wife would kill me.

Time to start the "money shuffle?"

No, they are .45 ACP. I have used bullets from Kemp in TX for a long time. They make a 250gr rounded lead bullet that I like. I have used that in my .45 Colt loads, but have now run out. I also used them in the .45 ACP, but have had problems with feed in the HK. That USP is really finicky on what it eats. I have ended up shortening the OAL to get it to feed. Now with the lighter bullet and same powder, it might fly a bit better with less pressure, since there is less bullet in the case. Although there has never been that much powder. I use about 4.6gr of Titegroup. I have about half a canister of it left. I have used it for .45 Colt too, but will be switching to Trail Boss for the Colt round. It is much more in keeping for a black powder round. Indeed, I am probably going to start reloading .45-70 and will try using Trail Boss for that too.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 pm

Trailboss is a fun and unique kind of powder.  If you know what its intended purposes are, and try to use it as such, it will make you a very happy customer.  Too many people buy it and are disappointed with the 'performance' they get out of it, ie: low velocity etc...  If you want lower pressure, lower velocity, lower recoil, 'safer'--more forgiving powder, etc... Trailboss is awesome!  I love using Trailboss with subsonic rifle loads with the smaller bullets as well as lots of the cowboy cartridges.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:23 am

Well, you are clearly aware that Trail Boss was originally designed to be loaded in old black powder cartridges, where old black took up a lot of space. Modern smokeless is much more powerful by volume. So the max load for a .45 Colt in 6.3 gr of Titegroup, and that barely takes up a quarter of the case. You could double and probably even triple charge the case and not notice it.

I think it is notable that the same canister that holds 8# of regular smokeless only holds 5# of Trail Boss.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:39 am

Devereaux wrote:Well, you are clearly aware that Trail Boss was originally designed to be loaded in old black powder cartridges, where old black took up a lot of space. Modern smokeless is much more powerful by volume. So the max load for a .45 Colt in 6.3 gr of Titegroup, and that barely takes up a quarter of the case. You could double and probably even triple charge the case and not notice it.

I think it is notable that the same canister that holds 8# of regular smokeless only holds 5# of Trail Boss.

Yeah, when I first bought the keg, I thought something was wrong--5 lbs instead of 8, and the price was cheaper than a typical 8 lb keg. At the time I bought it, I didn't know what Trailboss was about, but I knew that I had seen it used in a lot of loads for a lot of calibers in my books. I bought it for that reason, but later was SUPER glad I did when I read more about it and what it could do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:51 pm

Current date/time is Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:51 pm