It's SORT of like riding a bicycle

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

It's SORT of like riding a bicycle

Post by Devereaux on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, today I finally got off my duff and began reloading .45 ACP. It's been a while.

First of all, I seem to have issues with not getting all the media out of the cases. One such case I actually had power in, and noticed that it looked a whole lot higher than it ought. So I dumped it onto my scale, expecting to find a double dose. But no - it was media mixed in with the power, making the overall load appear a lot bigger. IIRC, that would NOT have been a good round to fire. Over pressure would have been real.

Then there were other little things. Despite the fact the press was still set up for .45 ACP I still had problems with case feeding, and some with primers jamming. Indeed, I think one of my tasks for tomorrow is to disassemble the press and clean it and relube it. Got one case with a 9mm stuck INSIDE it. I noted it wouldn't go through the powder drop properly, and on inspection found the case inside.

Then there were the small primer cases. I must have had at least a dozen, probably more like 2 dozen. I could feel that the primer was not going in, so would take the case off and look at it. Sure enough, small primer. It got tossed. Don't know who invented this combination, but he ought to be trashed.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: It's SORT of like riding a bicycle

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Devereaux wrote:

Then there were the small primer cases..... Don't know who invented this combination, but he ought to be trashed.

This.  It indeed was a stupid idea.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:03 pm

The further adventures of reloading - again.

Today I continued to reload .45 ACP - until I ran out of bullets (about 250 rounds). In the process I believe I tossed at least 50 small primer cases. I also found a split cast, and a couple cases that didn't seem to have sized correctly.

I case check each round before putting it in a box. I DON'T sift through the empties before reloading, checking each for this or that. You guys may be that anal, but I view reloading as basically manufacturing. There are glitches in the manufacturing line, but continued running is the aim, so you remove the malfunctions as they come and continue to turn out rounds. That means I toss all the cleaned cases in the case feeder, and have at it.

One small note. I have discovered that the Dillon case feeder has a practical limit to how many cases it will take. I went beyond that. That meant that I had to help the disc turn for a while, and a number of cases spilled out over the top. I am not sure just how many cases are the max, but whatever it is that I put in there (?500. ?800) it was too many.

One other note is that if you use a progressive it behoves you to watch the whole turret as you make each round. I have caught a number of cases that had a smaller calibre case stuck in it. If you get to it right at the beginning, you keep going. Else you have a problem. Occasionally it is hard to see the extra case, and you only find it when you get to the powder drop station.

Lastly, I have started wearing latex gloves (or whatever the plastic things are) some time ago. I am forever amazed at the amount of crud that accumulates on the fingers. I assume a portion of that is lead - which is not a good thing to have.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 am

Once I started wet tumbling with stainless steel media, I noticed that the cases are tons cleaner. There isn't any of that dark dusty crap that gunks up the dies. I hardly have to clean my dies now.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:33 pm

I've seen some of the wet tumbling set-ups, but it would mean investing in yet another set of tumbling machines, and figuring out how to dry the things. ?And then where to put the old tumbling stuff.

I know guys like you who do tumble wet think it's the best. And it may be. But it just isn't in the cards - for now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 am