Blade-Tech

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Blade-Tech

Post by Devereaux on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:46 am

Well, Blade-Tech recently had a sale, so I bought an OWB holster for the Shield & 229. They are OK. Some of my problem may well be that I don't really have a good gunbelt. Using my regular belt doesn't seem to give good support for the holster, so the draw is difficult. The end result is that I end up not being very happy with how the holster behaves.

Now, I fully admit that I am overweight. I note some of that is retained water, due to some medications that I have had to take. I am now off of that one. I have also been drinking more fluids than usual, and that leads to weight gain as I get edema. But I still need to lose weight.

But that being the case, I am still somewhat at a loss on what to use. I have long thought about getting a Mitch Rosen rig for the 229. I would consider a pocket holster for the Shield, as it seems about the right size, but don't know which one makes sense. I have a nifty little one made by De Santis for the PPK; perhaps that would be a good choice.

?Anyone have any ideas. I brought both the PPK & the Shield, but couldn't find a good way to carry the Shield, so I ended up bringing the PPK.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Blade-Tech

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Dev; on a friend's recommendation, I tried the Uncle Mikes (I'll wait till the regurgitation event ends) Instructors Belt.

I use it for my Blade-Tech OWB comp rig. However, it could certainly be used for everyday carry. The belt is very stiff and supportive and a great value for the money. Go one size greater that Amazon recommends.

Just saw that Blade-Tech makes a dress belt for $65.

Aaaaand... Raven has a new minimalist Vanguard 2 IWB that only covers the trigger guard - interesting.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks, CF. I looked at your link and think the belt is a bit too "casual". I wear street clothes in Evansville, sometimes cargo pants, but I think the belt a bit "rough".

Saw an ad for a gunbelt in CC mag, but it's $75, more than I want to invest at the moment. Got a new OWB slide-like holster for the Shield (great price - friend made it for me for free!) and after I fit the gun a bit more (water and plastic bag with gun in it into the holster) I may try that. It has buckles to hold the belt, you clip it on and off, and if I get it to fit the gun a touch looser it may be perfect for the Shield.

ALSO saw a neat idea called http://armsband.com. It fits on your upper arm under your shirt sleeve. Made in the USA and relatively cheap.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:01 pm

I updated the original post with some additional thoughts.

Very interested in your choices for carrying the Shield, as it will likely be my carry when I emigrate to America. Unless Remington gets their R51 act together.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:37 pm

I have an Uncle Mike (I think) pocket holster and an IWB holster. Neither works very well. Friend of mine (skinnier) uses the IWB for his Shield and seems OK with it.

The Blade-Tech seems hard to thread onto a belt - at least the ones I usually wear. Once you have it on, the draw is not exactly smooth - seems to drag a lot. The 229 was the worst, but it is a little better since I loosened the screw. Still not what I would want. I haven't really played with the Shield one, although I sense that I will need to loosen that screw too.

Some of this may be that I don't particularly like holsters that drag. I have a De Santis for my PPK and IT works just fine - comes out of the pocket easily without drag.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Just bought a De Santis Nemesis, which is the model that I have for the PPK and my airweight S&W 5-shot. Should be here when get back from work. I will test it out and report.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 pm

I am also a large mammal, and have spent a lot of time and money working on CCW rigs.

I used to regularly use that Uncle Mike's belt CF mentioned.  Liked it a LOT.

After trying a lot of options, I ended up going with IWB permanently.  It means I have to order my pants a size larger, but that's ok.  I've never been a tight-pants sort of guy anyway.  

After a LOT of experimentation, I have found the hybrid IWB type holster (specifically, the model made by Theis Holsters (http://theisholsters.com/) to be perfect for me.  I have one of their holsters for k-frame, L-frame, n-frame, and compact Glock handguns.  I will soon get another for my Glock 20.  However, I have the luxury of wearing untucked shirts most days.  I could tuck the shirt with this holster, although the clips on the belt will still show.  This holster hides even my 4 inch 629 very very well.  The leather backing makes the holster very comfortable, but the kydex shell reduces the overall width of the holster and doesn't collapse in the way leather does after a while.

OWB is tough to hide for me, although I think the Shield or the PPK would certainly be a candidate for OWB.  For me, the only OWB holsters that ever gave reasonable concealment were the pancake types.  I sometimes use an OWB with a j-frame, and it's the Silver Dollar Pancake Holster from Simply Rugged (http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Silver-Dollar-Pancake™-.cfm?item_id=152&parent=669).  It works well, but if the gun was any thicker I'd have a printing problem.

The big issue for me with OWB was always that my excess...uh..."mass" always pushed the grip of the gun out at an angle which printed horribly.  So, to bring that grip in snug against my side, IWB works best.  If I'm going to use an OWB holster, I find pancake holsters to bring the grip in best out of the bunch.

Leather pancake holsters certainly won't provide the ultra quick draw that kydex will.  There is a drag, but after the holster breaks in the drag becomes less of an issue.

For belts, I have tried many, and settled on the Real Man's Belt from Simply Rugged (http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Real-Man-s-Belt-single-layer-of-leather.cfm?item_id=171&parent=670).  It's very reasonably priced ($50.00, depending on options you want) and stone age simple.  Just a handsome thick leather belt that's tough as nails.  The one I wear daily has been in use for around 4 years, and most of those days it's been supporting a medium or large handgun in an IWB holster.

In the end, however, I think that OWB will never conceal as well as IWB.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Any suggestions for an OWB holster for a mid-sized revolver like the gp100? With winter coming on, I think I would like to try OWB carrying. Utah has open carry, so if it were to become visible at some point, I wouldn't be breaking any laws.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50 pm

I have the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for my GP100 and like it a lot.

I don't mean to sound like a Simply Rugged fanboy. But they do make some quality products at very reasonable prices.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Well, nice to know your Theis holsters is on my listing in this section (I just checked).

My problem is probably like yours. I currently mostly carry a PPK with a loose extra mag in the other pocket. It is small enough to easily carry and Critical Defense ammo is decent. I don't intend to have any long range gunfights.

BUT I want to carry a 229. I may soon be taking the IL CCW, and when (eventually - I am going to make them jump through hoops by not sending in my fingerprints) I get it, I expect to carry the 229. I just don't see that as a IWB weapon. Although you DO note you carry wheel guns that way. Maybe I'm just too big in the waist for that. I wear 44-46 pants these days, although I have 48's about, left over from somewhat bigger days.

I have been looking at Mitch Rosen stuff. It's really nice! I am strongly tempted to get the holster first, then consider a belt as it is a nice, dress-looking belt. You can even get it narrowed in front if you buy a wide enough belt (I think it begins with 1-1/4" belts). Since I rarely go with my shirt untucked (I see guys like that I automatically assume they are carrying and probably ex-cops), I guess I need an over garment. Which I usually have - either a light jacket or even just a light vest in the summer (easy way to get stuff through TSA).

But I will have to look at your belt TJ.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 am