300 blk penetration...

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

300 blk penetration...

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:24 am

So, I was doing a test with a 245 gr hard cast 300 blk load. With about 10.1 gr A1680 powder and that hard cast missouri 245 gr bullet, I shot a 5 gallon bucket full of moist sand tipped on its side with a lid on with 2 boards and a cinder block as a backstop. This backstop was stopping various .357 mag loads and lighter bullet 300 blk loads successfully. However, when I fired my subsonic (about 1000 fps) load into it, I was surprised when the bullet penetrated the entire bucket of sand, the two boards, and stopped sideways against the cinder block. When I pulled the bullet out, it was scratched up from all the sand but almost maintained the original shape. I did NOT think that that particular subsonic load would have that much penetration capability.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: 300 blk penetration...

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Just came on this.

I gather your assumptions were based on bullet weight and speed, comparing them to .357 Mag or .45 ACP. Wonder what a .45 Colt would do in the same circumstances. It, too, shoots a 250 gr bullet at about 900 FPS (+/- depending on how you load it).

?Perhaps this had more to do with the bullet than anything else.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:03 pm

It would be interesting to make some hard cast bullets for those other calibers and do penetration tests. I would think, however, that a long, heavy, smaller diameter bullet, would penetrate easier than a large diameter bullet of the same weight. Doc would probably know more about this stuff than the rest of us. I wish you could "tag" users in forum posts.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:20 pm

I suspect bullet hardness is the first criteria and weight the (close) second. My .375 H&H shoot, among its several choices, solids, which appear to be something like brass or something. But they are intended to puncture African big game hides, which are notoriously THICK - and resistent to "normal" bullets. Great story of a guy shooting a Cape Buffalo and finding a .303 embedded in the front horn about his eyes. Would have been a great shot - IF it had penetrated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm