Tis' the season... for pumpkin water balloons!

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Tis' the season... for pumpkin water balloons!

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Now that pumpkins are pretty much everywhere...

One of the things I like to do each year is gather up a bunch of pumpkins after halloween. You can usually buy them super cheap or get them free from the right places. Then, I like to drill a hole in the top of them and fill them up with water. After they are full of water, I dry the top and put a little duct tape patch over the hole. Try to have as little air as possible in the pumpkin. Next step, choose your favorite large caliber firearm and shoot the water-filled pumpkins for a nice little water explosion (my preferred calibers for this would be 12g slugs, 45-70, 460 mag, 500 mag, etc...) Fun times!
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Tis' the season... for pumpkin water balloons!

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:18 pm

That sounds awesome!
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 pm

?Don't your hands hurt from those monsters. I was in an Academy store that just opened in Evansville and they had 3 Smiths, all 460 or bigger. Short little barrels on those puppies, but those were BIG guns@ Looked like either there was a BIG flame out the front, or a BIG kick to the back. Or maybe both.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:09 pm

I have long barrels on all of my large caliber magnum revolvers. The extra weight helps a lot--makes it more like a big push than a painful snap. I would much rather shoot the 500 mag than an airweight .357 with full power loads.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:06 am

Ended up doing this today!  My 6 year old really wanted to go shooting and asked if we could go.  I told him we could go shooting and take the 20+ leftover pumpkins we grew in the garden and didn't end up using.  He was excited when he saw that I had drilled the tops and filled them with water.  My friend and I brought out the big guns this morning--Marlin 45-70, S&W 500 magnum, 12 gauge, some soft point .308's, and a few others.  Sadly, however, my .460 mag could not make it due to the barrel being re-tightened at the Smith shop.  My friend took a few video clips, so I will try to throw them in a youtube video or something and post it here.  My son really enjoyed using the suppressed .357 mag Handi Rifle.  It did more damage to the pumpkins and water jugs than his .22 rifle.  He was all giggles--actually, even the grown men were laughing pretty hard.  

I tested out some stout 450 gr powder coated cast bullets (gas checked) made from a semi-soft lead alloy in the 500 magnum.  These seemed to do a bigger number on the things filled with water.  It was nice to be able to shoot some cheap cast bullets instead of the expensive fmj bullets.  Anyways, it was a good, fun, safe, bonding time with father and son.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:38 am

Sounds like you had a good day. Me, I have been stuck "in the bunker". I work in a place with no windows, so you never see outdoors.

The big rounds. ?Why did you feel you needed to gas check them. ?What calibre were they. ?How did the powder coating work. ?Any barrel residue from the paint.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:22 am

Devereaux wrote: The big rounds. ?Why did you feel you needed to gas check them. ?What calibre were they. ?How did the powder coating work. ?Any barrel residue from the paint.

The ones I gas checked were 500 magnum bullets. The reason I gas checked them was because I was running them pretty hot, but still using a softer alloy. I wanted the lead to go fast and then expand fast too. The powder coating seemed to work pretty good--I didn't notice any paint residue in the barrel of the 500 magnum. My other powder coated bullets have worked great without gas checks, but I have been running them at lower velocities. I shot about 100 rounds of powder coated 9mm today also--barrel wasn't much dirtier than normal (when using Unique).
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:45 pm

I have in the past held the usual view that "hot" bullets needed a gas check. So .357 mag bullets should be gas checked. But lately I wonder.

It doesn't seem to me that there is any real scientific basis for deciding what should and what shouldn't have a gas check. Now, I admit this is a philosophical discussion, as I don't cast. So I have no real dog in the hunt.

Still, if you simply think that powder burns - rather hotly - in the case and hot gases follow the bullet all the way out the barrel, then shouldn't pretty much every bullet need a gas check. ?What makes one need it and another not.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:49 am

Not sure on the exact "when to use a gas check and when not to." What I do know is that it is a balance of alloy hardness, velocity, accuracy, and whether or not the mold is cut for gas checks. I have read in multiple places that if you have a mold cut for gas checks and you use them without, your accuracy will suffer. For me, I bought my 45-70 mold without a gas check cut, because I don't need it. The 500 mag mold I bought came with the gas check cuts. I saw some gas checks on sale on midway and said "why not?" I am also using a softer alloy but running it at a higher velocity. I think the rifle bullets gain the most from the gas checks though.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Hokay, made a little video... Fun stuff!

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:04 pm

That was fun! Nice job editing. Good to see you like AC/DC - one of my favorites, too. And Doc Wesson too.
    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks, AC/DC is classic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 pm