SKS - Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova or Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

SKS - Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova or Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

One of the under-appreciated gems of the surplus firearm world. Stout, handy, hard-hitting, reasonably accurate, quick to reload and cheap to own and shoot. Most versions conform to the Progressive's demands for 10 rounds or less firearms. They accept 10 round stripper clips for quick and easy reloads. For the above reasons, it was my Cali SHTF carbine.

I've got a 1953 Tula, which (based on its gold filled star) may -- or may not -- have been used by the Kremlin Regiment. Now owned by a filthy, dirty, rotten, bourgeois, *and victorious*, capitalist pig-dog. Smile

Discuss.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: SKS - Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova or Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова

Post by Devereaux on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 am

OK. Just like your avatar, you proceed to stick the screwdriver in the socket.

SKS. They were not liked even back in the jungle as you could only possibly trade one off to an Air Force guy who pretty much knew nothing. They were either Russian or Chinese. IOW not Czech. And Czech stuff was the only good stuff.

For goodness sake, ?couldn't you find yourself a decent American carbine. Heck, I'd take any number of levers first.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: SKS - Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova or Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Yup, I've always poked at things. That's how I got my wife; you'd think I'd learn.

Interested that the SKS is not an acceptable carbine in your experience. Could you expand on that? What were the failure modes? I've put probably a little less than 100 rounds through various SKSs without a problem. Of course, they weren't in the jungle and mud found in the SE Asia Intramurals. I honor your antipathy toward the platform, I'd probably feel the same if the damn things had been pointed my way with evil intent. For myself, I relish possessing a weapon formerly owned by our once and future enemy.

My choice of the SKS is largely the result of the SoCal environment. Its cost is roughly about half of a 30/30 lever, and the surplus ammo is less than a quarter of the cost of commercial lever loads. Its 10 round capacity (California max) is greater than the six rounds of the Marlin 336. With the SKS' stripper clips it's much faster to reload than a lever or an AR with the California bullet-button kludge. It's more than accurate enough for the close urban conditions of LA and powerful enough for an assured stop. In addition, the SKS' rate of aimed fire is also superior to a lever's.

As always: you pays your money and takes your choices.

When I move back to St Louie, I have a hunch my SHTF choice will be much different in the new environment. Perhaps an AR in 5.56 or 300BLK with lots of 30 round mags.

In the meantime, I'll continue to poke at the problem/possibilities. Wink
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 pm

SKS's made a lot more sense to me back when you could get them for less than $100. Now that they are approaching or exceeding the price of a decent lever action, I'd prefer the lever action. Better accuracy, better ammo selection, and ability to have a good scope.

Not to mention, I simply can't get past my own personal observation that when most SKS shooters in my area show up at the range, they run their greasy fingers through their greasy mullets while complaining with a Marlboro dangling from their lips that they can't crank Foghat out of the open windows of their El Caminos while shooting their SKS's into the dirt as fast as they and their large girlfriends can pull the triggers.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Ok. So let's look at a jury. They see an American protecting his prop with an American lever. Looks good. 

They see a guy with a Rooskie gun that looks like an "assault rifle" - not so good. And the SoCal juries will clearly be among the less informed.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 pm

TJ, how *DARE* you besmirch the El Camino. I'll have you know I had a fine '73 El Camino, just like Bill uh... Clinton... err... nevermind.

Dev, I long ago decided that if I ever have to employ a self-defense weapon, things have likely gone so far down the bunny hole that I'll need as much as possible to be in my favor. As Mas says; "You have to survive in order to get to the courtroom." The wood stock, lack of pistol grip, and general unblackness will help with the jury - the bayonet: not so much.

If I may: What's your SHTF rifle/carbine?
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

I rely on a '73 El Camino to get me out of Dodge.

Ha ha ha...actually, my go to rifle in the event of a bad situation is an AK. Have a Polish folding stock on it for portability and a red dot on an Ultimak gas tube mount. As reliable as a hammer, and accurate enough for whatever purposes I may need. Also ugly as sin so I don't care about banging it up.

However, I am very seriously re-thinking that proposition. We had the mother of all floods here in Music City USA several years ago, and while most home-owners had no law enforcement issues with carrying AR's and AK's on their property to deter potential looters, an AK scares the bejeezus out of ordinary sheeple in my area of town. (At the time, I hung out on the porch, "cleaning" an M1 Garand. Looked dangerous enough, but not so much as to freak out the neighbors.)

So, I'm looking into the lever action as an alernative. Right now, I am getting comfortable with a Winchester 94 30-30 with a Williams peep sight for better, quicker accuracy. I think it would do fine, but am interested in something on which I can mount an optic, so am hoping Marlin comes out with a good version of the 1894C soon, and if not maybe going with a Rossi 92 and a scout scope mount.

My thought is, keep the AK around in case all hell really busts loose and I may WANT to scare the bejeezus out of everyone. But also have a more friendly looking lever action available for times which might be a little twitchy, but not necessarily end of the world as we know it.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am

I have a Garand in the closet. I have a sling of en-blocs loaded with military ball. I figure there's only me and the wife, and the house is brick, so neighbors are relatively safe. And unlike the SKS or AK, you CAN  "reach out and touch someone" - a long way off if needed.

TJ, ?why in the world would you want a scope on a lever. Have a brass bead on the front, buckhorn rear, and you can hit pretty much anything you can reach with that puppy. And it's a whole lot faster onto and changing targets. CF - back this up. SASS shoots levers at 40 yds about. You can race through 10 targets and not miss one - in no time. Even with full load .45 Colt rounds. We don't usually shoot .30-30, but it isn't a whole lot different.

Take a Model 1895 in .30-'06 and perhaps you can make some case for a scope. But generally you aren't shooting >80 yards. At least not until you get to the wide open spaces of N/S Dakota, Kansas, etc.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I agree that irons are just fine on a lever, but considering the purpose of the rifle, I'm looking for a higher level of quick precision than I can obtain with iron sights.

I'm thinking low power scope with an illuminated reticle or red dot. Considering the purpose of this rifle, I want the ability to put a round into a 3 inch circle at 50 yards as quickly as possible, and I can do that best with an illuminated optic. I can do it with irons, just don't think I can do it as quickly and reliably under unhappy circumstances.

Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Ghost ring sights.
    Check XS sites
    https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8243

Last edited by Doc Wesson on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Devereaux wrote:TJ, ?why in the world would you want a scope on a lever. Have a brass bead on the front, buckhorn rear, and you can hit pretty much anything you can reach with that puppy. And it's a whole lot faster onto and changing targets. CF - back this up. SASS shoots levers at 40 yds about. You can race through 10 targets and not miss one - in no time. Even with full load .45 Colt rounds. We don't usually shoot .30-30, but it isn't a whole lot different.

Yep, Dev, for the pistol caliber levers that we're most familiar with, a scope is largely superfluous. Especially, those high magnification scopes that find their way atop a whole host of rifles. (I believe we habitually over-magnify our optics.) Irons are robust and fast to use.

That being said, I've played with a Marlin 336 with a very nice 1x2.5(?) bright, wide-field scope. The 30/30 has the potential to be stretched to an effective range of 180-200 yards, making a scope a viable choice, especially for those of us with bad eyes. And there are certainly levers with more powerful, long range cartridges. A friend shot a lever with an unmagnified red dot and found it very handy. For a lark, I put a red dot on my BuckMark .22LR pistol - and liked it so much I haven't taken it off.

We dinosaurs have to make room for the young bucks with their fancy-schmancy electro-optics.   Cool
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:48 pm

I spent an afternoon in the backyard of a friend who has a range set up there. It is 186 yds to the hanging iron targets. I fired a Model 92 in .357 Mag, a 94 in .30-30, a 95 in .30-'06, and a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. I can tell you the .30-30 had a hard time reaching those 186 yd targets.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I've heard very good things about Tech-Sights on the SKS. Converts the screwy commie sights to a Garand or AR-15 type. Longer sighting radius, too. Mounts without tools and holds its zero very well.

Doc isn't letting me post links for seven days. I'll add it when able.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Devereaux wrote:I spent an afternoon in the backyard of a friend who has a range set up there. It is 186 yds to the hanging iron targets. I fired a Model 92 in .357 Mag, a 94 in .30-30, a 95 in .30-'06, and a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. I can tell you the .30-30 had a hard time reaching those 186 yd targets.

It's true. My 30/30 guru says you need a stout hunting load with a heavy bullet to reach out that far. I've also heard the LeveRevolution may get you there, but the bullet may not expand too much.  

How'd you like the Guide Gun in .45 By God 70? Isn't that a hoot?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:I spent an afternoon in the backyard of a friend who has a range set up there. It is 186 yds to the hanging iron targets. I fired a Model 92 in .357 Mag, a 94 in .30-30, a 95 in .30-'06, and a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. I can tell you the .30-30 had a hard time reaching those 186 yd targets.

It's true. My 30/30 guru says you need a stout hunting load with a heavy bullet to reach out that far. I've also heard the LeveRevolution may get you there, but the bullet may not expand too much.  

Oh, I've had that beauty since it first came out. Mine is blue, and has the vent at the end of the barrel; I understand they no longer put those in.

For my money, it may be THE brush deer gun. It isn't really all that long ranged, but where I hunt, usually I don't get long shots anyway. When I get to stand in the "big stand" out in the long field (400 yds to one end, 275 to the other) I generally take my Model 70 in .300 WinMag. It will reach that long. When I am trapseing about in the woods, it's the Guide Gun. I just shoot the standard Remington load (that can be shot in a Trapdoor) since I bought a bunch of them at a sale of a gunshop, but they work fine. Nothing like a 400gr bullet.

And BTW, it's a lot easier on the shoulder than my 1886, also in .45-70.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:

I have some of those new Hornady cartridges in .30-30, but haven't yet shot anything but paper with them, and haven't tried to get them out to the 200 yd distance. No real opinion.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Devereaux wrote:I have a Garand in the closet... and the house is brick

Ha ha, just in case there are 3 bad guys in a row.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Throughout the years, I've had a couple Chinese, Russian, Yugoslavian, and currently one Romanian SKS.  I've had minimal problems with them.  Once I put an adult sized stock on them, they actually handled pretty well for all the ugliness they extrude.  I've made some of my best shots on moving targets with one.  I've only had a couple problems.  One was the typical problem of a young dumb kid running chintzy 40 round mags through them and having some other mods that I....should not have had.  That was 100 percent my fault.  The second one was my sons Yugoslavian SKS well into my adulthood.  We took it out to the rifle range after letting it sit in the safe unused for a very long time.  It would not cycle at all.  barely even tried.  Had to work the gun manually, which was a huge disappointment for the poor young fella.  I got home, and deployed my best "Google-Fu" on the matter and read that the SKS rifles like to be run wet-lots of lube.  I slathered it in as much Tetra-Gun as I could stand to, took it to the range, and sure enough...it performed flawlessly until I got bored shooting, which in all fairness was only 100 rounds or so.  We eventually traded it off, but..it was in fine working order.

I now own a Romanian SKS that my brother gave me for Christmas last year.  Had it and a case of ammo for a year now, and haven't put a single round through it.  It's not that I dislike it, just that I have so many other guns that capture my interest.  One day I'll put a new stock on it, and see what it can do.  Hopefully it won't be all insistent on being oiled, cause frankly, I've got no idea hot that's supposed to work out in an Arctic climate.

As far as preparedness rifles, I guess I'm pretty content with my Rossi 92 chambered for .454 Casull.  It has a factory 18" ported bbl., fiber optic sights, and a slightly slicked up action.  I have a wide array of bullet selections for it, appropriate for everything from bunnies to bears.  If I truly need to utilize it in a meaningful form, I feel that a 300 grain bullet at 2K FPS should be pretty effective at discouraging any creature on this continent that bears ill intent.

One thing the SKS and lever gun have in common for me, is that they are both much more comfortable and sleek handling than most other battle rifle type weapons, ie; the typical AR with lights, lasers, red dot sight, vertical foregrips, etc.  Maybe if I was a door kicking tough guy I would feel differently, but for an overweight, uneducated small town, average fella like myself, they both seem to work just fine.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:20 am

NotThe10thMan wrote:...As far as preparedness rifles, I guess I'm pretty content with my Rossi 92 chambered for .454 Casull.  It has a factory 18" ported bbl., fiber optic sights, and a slightly slicked up action.

Ahhhhhhhh, I have seen one of those at the local gun shop. They do look fun.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:40 am

Cornmastah wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:I have a Garand in the closet... and the house is brick

Ha ha, just in case there are 3 bad guys in a row.

?Don't they always come in 3's.  Laughing
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:43 am

NotThe10thMan wrote:Throughout the years, I've had a couple Chinese, Russian, Yugoslavian, and currently one Romanian SKS.  I've had minimal problems with them.  Once I put an adult sized stock on them, they actually handled pretty well for all the ugliness they extrude.  I've made some of my best shots on moving targets with one.  I've only had a couple problems.  One was the typical problem of a young dumb kid running chintzy 40 round mags through them and having some other mods that I....should not have had.  That was 100 percent my fault.  The second one was my sons Yugoslavian SKS well into my adulthood.  We took it out to the rifle range after letting it sit in the safe unused for a very long time.  It would not cycle at all.  barely even tried.  Had to work the gun manually, which was a huge disappointment for the poor young fella.  I got home, and deployed my best "Google-Fu" on the matter and read that the SKS rifles like to be run wet-lots of lube.  I slathered it in as much Tetra-Gun as I could stand to, took it to the range, and sure enough...it performed flawlessly until I got bored shooting, which in all fairness was only 100 rounds or so.  We eventually traded it off, but..it was in fine working order.

I now own a Romanian SKS that my brother gave me for Christmas last year.  Had it and a case of ammo for a year now, and haven't put a single round through it.  It's not that I dislike it, just that I have so many other guns that capture my interest.  One day I'll put a new stock on it, and see what it can do.  Hopefully it won't be all insistent on being oiled, cause frankly, I've got no idea hot that's supposed to work out in an Arctic climate.

As far as preparedness rifles, I guess I'm pretty content with my Rossi 92 chambered for .454 Casull.  It has a factory 18" ported bbl., fiber optic sights, and a slightly slicked up action.  I have a wide array of bullet selections for it, appropriate for everything from bunnies to bears.  If I truly need to utilize it in a meaningful form, I feel that a 300 grain bullet at 2K FPS should be pretty effective at discouraging any creature on this continent that bears ill intent.

One thing the SKS and lever gun have in common for me, is that they are both much more comfortable and sleek handling than most other battle rifle type weapons, ie; the typical AR with lights, lasers, red dot sight, vertical foregrips, etc.  Maybe if I was a door kicking tough guy I would feel differently, but for an overweight, uneducated small town, average fella like myself, they both seem to work just fine.

You Alaska guys just look at guns differently. Biggest thing I own is a .375 H&H. That is big enough to take care of most anything I am likely to see down here in the lower 48.

But you guys go for those really large guns - big calibres, big bullets, etc. My shoulder just wouldn't take that kind of hammering on any regular basis.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 am

[quote="Devereaux"

You Alaska guys just look at guns differently. Biggest thing I own is a .375 H&H. That is big enough to take care of most anything I am likely to see down here in the lower 48.

But you guys go for those really large guns - big calibres, big bullets, etc. My shoulder just wouldn't take that kind of hammering on any regular basis.[/quote]

I guess this would be a great time to feign toughness and all, but...that just ain't the case. Largest rifle I own myself is a .338 Win. Mag, but it's never been pointed at an animal that wasn't mighty tasty. Lots of folks here are madly in love with .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag, 45/70, or the ubiquitous slug loaded 12 ga. as far as big critters. Every summer at the range I get to see people trying to sight in .458 Win. Mags and the like, fire three shots, and call it a day even though the rifle is still 18" off target.

I'll be polite and refrain from speaking of the shenanigans at the pistol range for now....

In any case, most of us with a sense of judgment and discretion call it quits by .375 H&H. For that matter, most of the meat on my table has been harvested with the humble 30-06, and oddly with more blood shot than with a .338.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 am