• Reply to topic

New Aimpoint Reddot

Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

New Aimpoint Reddot

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:43 pm

From guns.com

Aimpoint Carbine Optic. Expected street price of about $300. Etched reticle, one year constant run 2 MOA red dot. Pretty cool.   In store RealSoonNow.

There's also rumors of a new Leupold optic with performance and price points that has everyone drooling.

HT: Tamera Keel
Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Re: New Aimpoint Reddot

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 pm

I love variety! The more options at the various price points the better!
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks, CF.

Note the knob. It is that Knob-Torque that Aimpoint uses. Makes tightening correctly a breeze.

?Wonder what will replace the Comp4s
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 pm

I'd certainly feel much better about an Aimpoint red dot on top of my duty carbine. Especially one I could leave activated for a year.

Which knob, Dev? The rail attachment nut, battery compartment knob, or the elevation knob?
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am

That big knob down by the mounting rail. Sticks out on the right. It is set up so you tighten until you get 2 clicks, and you are done. Neat.
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:00 pm

For my birthday, I gave myself an Aimpoint PRO. I was tired of waiting for all the wiz-bang optics due RealSoonNow and felt I needed some optic on my duty carbine, given that my eyes are taking early retirement.

So far, I'm really impressed. The mount is super cool and the manufacturer say the optic is delivered "centered". Turning the dot on, I found it to be just kissing the front post. Probably good enough for a duty zero, but I'm still going to the range soonest to dial it in.

While I've got you on the line: This Sunday is the 1st anniversary of Michael Brown's death in Ferguson. A neighbor is dialed in to the North County PDs; they're expecting a lot of trouble from outside agitators. It should be limited to the professional aggrieved. However, you never know what may happen or where it may happen.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Optics from Aimpoint are absolutely first class. I believe the one you got is the small one - or at least smaller (than my Comp4S). ?Does it still have the many-year battery life.

Otis2
.32 S&W
.32 S&W

Post by Otis2 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:19 am

Be safe over the weekend, CF! I'm sure it will be interesting, to say the least!
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:55 pm

It's larger than the small Micro.  Very well built - solid and heavy. The optic is noticeably clearer with more contrast than my Bushnells. The dot is also sharper and a true round dot. The PRO does indeed have the multi-year run time - However, I'll be replacing the battery every year at this time.

As for Michael Brown III, the move has us out and about. However, I'll have my full EDC. All of you also take care - insanity can be anywhere.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Aha! So this is the replacement for the Comp4. Very nice. You will love it - I do mine and kind of wish I had more instead of the Eotechs (which aren't bad or anything but don't have reliability rep of Aimpoint).
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 pm

From our local PD: Monday (09Aug15) is slated to be a "Day of Civil Disobedience". Their advice: if you hear gunshots - get the hell out. Fine advice any day.

I've got to be on the road, and I'll have my full-up EDC. If anything is looking hinkey when I have to leave, the carbine might just come with me.

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm

So I see there is a "state of emergency" declared for St. Louis. ?You close enough in to be included. IIRC, your neighborhood seemed relatively safe looking. Don't know about your work issues though.
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:02 am

Dev, all of St Louis County is under the state of emergency.  That's where our current house is. Things have been relatively quite, except for a very minor fare-up in our nearby Section 8 condos.

The new house you saw is across the river from the insanity, in a different county. It's telling the bridges between our two domiciles were the ones that the professional protesters shut down. "White Flight" (of all races) is draining St Louis County - and we're using those bridges.    

BTW: I was on the bridges for 30-40 minutes yesterday when 4 or 5 morons managed to spread their cars across 5 lanes of traffic. <Sigh>
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 pm

All this stuff is disheartening. But under it all, I think there is a slow burn happening, where the rednecks may be just about fed up with all the BS. It could get ugly. Those dummies don't understand just HOW violent it could be. And they won't be on the winning side.
Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:39 pm

CF, do you have an update on this optic?  You ended up buying the pro, correct?  Have you used it?  Do you like it?  Do you leave the battery on all the time?  I might have the opportunity to get a couple of the ACO's at a highly discounted price later on this year--so I was wondering how you liked your Aimpoint.  I don't have any experience with Aimpoints yet, but I know they are top notch optics.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Yes. I'm curious too. I have the Comp4S and like it a lot. But it is on the big side and a tad heavy. Battery last until, like, the dinosaurs are resurrected.
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Cornmastah wrote:CF, do you have an update on this optic?  You ended up buying the pro, correct?  Have you used it?  Do you like it?  Do you leave the battery on all the time?  I might have the opportunity to get a couple of the ACO's at a highly discounted price later on this year--so I was wondering how you liked your Aimpoint.  I don't have any experience with Aimpoints yet, but I know they are top notch optics.

Yep, I'm very pleased with the Aimpoint Pro. It came from the factory just a click or two away from being perfectly aligned with the point of aim. No problems with firing the gun. It's ridden on top of my duty AR for 6 months while continuously on. The dot seems as bright as ever. Only one small issue keeps it from being absolutely perfect - the sight co-witnesses perfectly with the iron sights - but I prefer the irons to be in the  bottom third of the sight picture. I could add some height to the mount - but I'm no way annoyed enough to do that. There's been a review written by the owner of a Las Vegas machine gun shop, who found the PRO to be the next  thing to bulletproof - so much so they've standardized on it for all their full auto weapons.

However, I've been playing with the Vortex line of red dots at Yea Olde Gonne Shoppe. The SPARC II and Strikefire II are really interesting for a great price. Our optics guy is very high on them. Plus, they've got a no-questons-asked lifetime warranty (the only thing they don't cover is lost or stolen.) We're promised the new Spitfire prismatic magnified red dot soon; it looks very interesting.  

BTW: I've ordered a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 for my coming DMR build. Sweet scope. But backordered.  @#$%^&*!
Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am

I've used the Vortex Sparcs and Strikefires with a lot of success, but I am not sure I would put them on any of my SHTF firearms.  I guess I have no reason to assume that they wouldn't be good for that, but I have mostly bought them due to the fact that they are inexpensive (relatively speaking), they work, and they are backed up with an unconditional lifetime warranty.  I like to put them on my magnum type firearms, so that if they break, I can get them replaced/repaired for free.  They have withstood the shock from .458 socom, .50 beowulf, 500S&W on a handi rifle, 45-70 on a handi rifle, and keep on ticking.  I've also used them on guns like my Ruger MK3 and my kids' 22 rifles.

The Aimpoint warranty is pretty decent itself, I think it is a 10 year warranty?  I have never purchased an Aimpoint before--but the ACO looked like a good starting point with the discounted price I could get it at.

Dev, have you put your Aimpoint through the ringer?  Do you think it has been worth the cost?
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:34 am

I have it on my 300 BLk, which I take hunting. It has been on for several hunting cycles, but I turn it off when it goes in the closet.

As far as I am concerned, Aimpoint is the Mercedes of red dots. I have two Eotechs and a Vortex, but I still like the Comp4 best.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 am