Knives

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Knives

Post by Devereaux on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

?So any of you into knives.

I have a friend who is a retired CPD who is an avid knife collector. He has some absolutely ridiculous number of knives. Some (?many) are kind of mundane. But he also have a goodly number of custom pieces. His particular passion seems to be smaller folders that are custom made. Some of the craftsmanship is really exceptional.

I am more into fighting knives. I have a number of folders like a Cold Steel Tanto folder with about a 4" blade. Nice piece that is inexpensive. I carry it in my vest at work regularly. This particularly because generally I am not allowed to carry a firearm.

I have long been a fan of automatics. I bought my first ones in Italy in the summer of '64. Unfortunately they were stolen; I would dearly love to have at least one of them - a chrom spear point 6" blade with stag bolsters. It opened with a most satisfying "thunk!"

I have via my friend been introduced to the world of knife collectors. In the process I have acquired a number of autos. I love the pop-up type. Switchblades are OK, but the push=buttons are really kool!

Yesterday I wandered about Evansville and vicinity with a friend. Our last stop was a smaller shop north by about 20 miles. Nothing too intriguing other than a Sig 239 in .357 Sig, which I was actually sorely tempted to purchase, if my wife wouldn't have killed me over it. But as we were about to leave I saw a display of knives - and they were autos. Benchmade. Ended up buying a push-button called Infidel. About 3-1/2" or so long, black. Comes out with authority, pulls in with the switch. So I have another addition to my collection.

?Any of you guys have neat knives. Don't have to be autos, or even folders. Fixed blades are kool, too. Describe what floats your boat vis a vis a knife.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Knives

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 am

I used to collect knives before I collected guns.  I have a few cool ones but not any of the spendy collector kinds.  I have a WWII nazi knife which I inherited from my grandpa-in-law who collected it during his service in WWII.  It is cool to have a piece of history such as that.  My father-in-law has that grandpa-in-law's GI issue knife--which I might get when he chooses to pass it down (he has 5 daughters and no sons).  Another cool knife I inherited was my great grandfather's pocket knife which is just an ordinary pocket knife--but has sentimental value and is still razor sharp.  

I have this Buck boot knife which I love and take camping.  It feels perfectly balanced and would be a great wilderness knife or combat knife if needed.  I have a couple Kershaw spring assisted knives that I wear on my belt as daily carry knives.  I find that I use those daily for common everyday stuff.  I have a few large knives with very large blades (like a foot to a foot and a half long or so), which are nice when I go camping, but not useful for normal use.  I have one cheapy auto push button knife which is fun.  Once I started collecting guns, however, I stopped buying non-practical knives. I might have to go pull out the knife box out of the safe and look at what I have.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 am

Family knives are neat, especially those picked up somewhere in combat. I do not have anything like that. I guess I will be creating that from here on in.

My EDC knife is a Benchmade 154 CM or a Camillus folder I brought home from Nam. The former is an Osborne-designed folder, with a slide lock on the side. It is really easy to open. There is a serated section at the heel of the blade, which I kind of dislike as it is almost impossible to sharpen, but it is handy as a saw to cut through some of the tape restrains the EMS people package with. The Camillus has 4 blades, including an awl, a can opener, and a bottle opener/screw driver. It has been handy over the years for this or that. Once had to repair a retainer strap up on the hill skiing.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 pm

I've heard good things about benchmade knives. How much did it cost you? I would feel real bad abusing a benchmade knife by using it the same way I sometimes use my edc knives. But I hear they are pretty durable and keep an edge longer.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Got the Benchmade EDC as a gift from a friend. Not sure what they run out in the stores. But they are, or should be, discounted from MSRP.

I got the push-up for $375, including tax, so $350. But I wouldn't use that as an EDC. It is a spear point, and those don't seem as useful in every day situations. Wicked looking, though.

?Do you free-hand sharpen, or use a guide. I have always free-handed on a stone, but am thinking of getting a guide. I understand from others that you get REALLY sharp edges that way.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 pm

I know you can get a better edge with a stone, but to be honest, I just use a quick sharpener like this: sharpener link
    I just run it through the ceramic side 3-4 times whenever the knife feels like it isn't cutting like I want it to. It only takes about 10 seconds and works for my EDC.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:40 am

I took a picture of some of my knives.  Not many fancy ones, but I started collecting them when I was about 12.

Last edited by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:10 am

About 10 - 12 years ago I was pretty involved in the study of knife fighting and worked with a couple of different instructors.  Back then, I was a regular customer at knifeoutlet.com.  I went through a lot of knives.

My favorite EDC knife, with an eye towards both utility and last-ditch defense, will always be the Spyderco Wayne Goddard Clipit.  Here's a picture:  

It's perfect.  Light, strong, scary sharp, very smooth action to open, 4 inch blade, and not so incredibly expensive to draw tears if lost (which is a completely different story I have regarding a Benchmade 940...sniff...sniff).

However, the Great State of Tennessee this past summer removed all restrictions on knives that can be legally carried.  To celebrate, I bought this almost stupidly large Cold Steel XL Voyager:

Has a 5.5 inch blade, but man oh man, it is quite a pocket-filler.  Never thought I'd say this, it's really too much and I'm going back to the Spyderco.

I'm a big fan of Spyderco knives and have a lot.  I prefer their plastic handles, simplicity, and edge geometry that make it very very easy to resharpen to a razor edge.

However, now that autos are legal to carry in the Volunteer State, I'd REALLY like to get a nice, well made, old-fashioned Italian-style stiletto.  

For heavy work purposes (like clearing brush, hunting, etc.), there's no substitute for my trusty Buck 110:

Mine has a small bar added to the top of the blade to aid with one-hand opening.  If I had to carry a folding knife into an apocalypse, this would be my choice.  Tough, sharp and close to indestructible.

For sharpening, I'm a huge fan of the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  I wish I hold could a steady angle free hand on a regular stone, but I've never been able to make that work.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am

However, I think the coolest knife I own was a gift. I think I've told this story here before.

In the early 90's, I had a neighbor who during WW II was MacArthur's bodyguard. He's in the "I have returned" picture from Life magazine when MacArthur walked onto the beach in the Phillipines. This neighbor was a crusty, tough old ex-Marine. Hard as nails, hard worker, and a good man.

When I bought an M1 Garand, the neighbor (who was then dying of cancer), gave me his M1 Garand bayonet from the war. He wanted me to have it because he was sure his grandkids would pawn it or lose it.

The bayonet is well oiled and rust-free, but has a lot of dings and chips in the blade. My neighbor would never talk about the war, but I'll bet this bayonet could tell a story or two. It now lives in its sheath, always near my Garand. I think my neighbor would approve.
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am

I have been carrying Cold Steel Knives recently myself.
    Good knives for the $.
    I prefer the Tanto blade.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:02 am

TJ -- I carry a Voyager in the pocket of my vest. Only it has a tanto blade. REALLY solid blade, and sharp. But as you say, "manly sized".
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 am

I must have 3 or 4 of the Buck 110's. There is one in my hunting pack, and one in the safe with the other knives, and I think I may have one somewhere eles. Like you say, a solid working knife. I have gutted all the deer I have killed with one.

I ALSO have one that has been modified by a company that I think is no longer in business - something like Smokey Mt something or other. It is a 110, but it's an automatic. The button is a round brass spot that it flat in the bolster. Your clue that it isn't a regular 110 is that you can't open the blade.

I have seen auto's that have the switch in the bolster, where you slide the bolster toward the blade. It is hinged, so it swivels a little, and that opens the knife. Nothing about the outside indicates it's an auto other than you can't open the blade manually.

I think someone also makes an auto that you CAN open manually PLUS with a switch. Don't have one of those, though.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am

NOW we're talking. I've looked into those 110 autos and have always wanted one. As I recall, they were going for around $120 or so. Sure makes a lot more sense than an Italian stilleto.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:41 pm