First Experience with a Bad Primer

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

First Experience with a Bad Primer

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Was shooting my own 357 mag handloads over the weekend with my beloved S&W 65. One shot string went "BOOM" "BOOM" "BOOM" "Pssssht".

Dang, what the heck? Opened up the cylinder, and powder sprinkled all over the place. Bullet was stuck in the barrel, about 1/2 way down.

It certainly wasn't an issue of no powder in the case, because there was a lot of powder (that went all over, including into my beloved S&W's action...but getting that all out is a separate and nauseating story). So, the only thing I can think of that caused this squib must have been a bad primer. It was a Remington 5 1/2 magnum primer, from a new box of primers. It hadn't been loaded for long.

Have you guys ever run into a bad primer? This is my first, and frankly I find the whole experience very unnerving. There wasn't any danger of shooting a second time, because it was very very obvious that something was wrong. It's just the notion that no matter how careful you are, you can still have a bad primer pop up, and have a bullet lodge in your barrel, rendering your gun useless until you get that bullet out.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: First Experience with a Bad Primer

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Funny you should mention that... I had the same thing happen with my S&W 500 mag this weekend. The one that was bad for me was one I had loaded about a year and a half ago. All the rest of that batch went BOOM! just fine except that one. The bad primer was a CCI large rifle magnum. I guess it can happen with any brand and any caliber. With mine, the bullet came out just far enough to lock the cylinder--so we HAD to tap it back. Luckily we had some squib rods and tapped it back after waiting a few min just to be safe. A few light taps and we were able to open the cylinder and clean out all the unburnt powder and get back in business.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:04 pm

That IS weird. Must have been a Doc Wesson Jedi-trick, or something, going on this weekend.

Did you have to take off the sideplate of your 500 to get all the powder out? I had to take it off my 65, and I hope I never have to do that again. Taking apart and reassembling an S&W revolver is a difficult task.

And it has me eyeing my Glocks again, thinking that if I had to disassemble one of those completely, it's a much easier task.

BUT, there was one really good thing that happened at the range. I got to try out some new Titegroup handloads with 9mm 115 fmj's and wow! Am I impressed! Somehow, Titegroup in the range published by Hogdon gave more velocity, but less recoil and noise than Power Pistol. I have a new favorite 9mm handload now.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 am

Interestingly I had a squib as the LAST round of a bunch I was firing in a 9mm. The ammo was reloaded stuff I had bought, and I had not had any issues until this. The way I figured out it was a problem was that the NEXT time I went to the range The first round wouldn't chamber. When I looked in, there was he bullet!

Years ago I had a squib in IPSC, but it was a legit squib. The gun went pop instead of bang, and the round was up the barrel. I stopped and the range officer simultaneously reached over to keep me from shooting any further. I had never had a squib before, so it was a new experience.

Now, back to the primer issue. ?Any chance the primer was loose in the pocket. Some primers load more loosely while others are tight. I recollect back with my Dakota I would get different feel with different primers loading into the cases. Some went in more easily, others less so.

The other question might be whether a piece of media got lodged in the case, blocking the flame from hitting the powder.

?Still have the case, TJ.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I do have the case and looked it over closely. It's a brand new Starline case. I'm picky about primer seating, so I'm pretty confident the primer was seated deeply, and while it's possible some meda might have clogged the flash hole I would be surprised.

I've fired primers by themselves before, and this one didn't sound the same. It didn't have the same "pop" to it. It was more of a sound like air being let out of a tire for just a half second.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Well, nothing is 100%. You don't see a lot of primer misfires though. Sometimes you get fouled primers from exposure to oil. Still, that isn't the issue here.

Guess you have to just chalk it up to the odds getting you.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Yeah, I think if you reload/shoot enough, you are bound to see a bad primer or two.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:06 pm

I expect that even commercial ammo gets a dud now and then. You just can't be 100%.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:26 pm

I have had multiple blazers with primer duds. Funny thing is though, that they didn't ignite at all--just a dud round.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah, when I think of how many thousands of rounds I've loaded and fired, I'm actually a little surprised that I haven't run into a bad primer before now.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I have had multiple blazers with primer duds.  Funny thing is though, that they didn't ignite at all--just a dud round.

?Isn't Blazer like crud ammo.

I bought 1k of 5.56 reloads. I have been having issues with primers falling out, with failures to feed, with double feed (which may be partially my fault not clearing properly). I am just waiting to get rid of all the stuff so I have the cases. BUT I have also been buying rather cheap 5.56 so it may be a while before I reload any 5.56. At $345 for 1k including shipping it just doesn't seem worth the time to reload - yet.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I had a primer partially come out of a Tula 9mm round once. It came out from the case about 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch, completely locking up the slide on a Glock 17. It was a bear getting the slide opened.

That was the last time I ever bought Tula ammo.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh, this garbage has been havingf primers drop out of the cases into the lower. SUCH fun. I found ONE totally by accident when I took off the grip to put on a MagPul grip and found the primer in the spring channel! I've had it lock up the lower, lock up the BCG - just all MANNER of immediate actions to perform. Not the stuff you want if you are solo fighting for your life.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 am