M1 Garand: The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

M1 Garand: The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:03 am

In his "American Gun", Chris Kyle devoted a chapter to the M1 Garand. He showed how revolutionary the semi-automatic brainchild of John Garand was where the majority of the WWII combatants were fielding bolt actions.

We're fortunate that we can still buy Garands from the CMP. I did, a "Special Grade" rebuild of a 1938 Springfield receiver. Now, I've got to learn all about this wonderful Mil-Surp. This is the place to share M1 lore and info.

PING!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: M1 Garand: The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 am

Consider this. German WWII infantry tactics were based around the machinegun. Those K98's were there to protect the machinegun.

But M1's are arguably an infantryman's machine gun. NOT that you can chatter out a belt of 100. But you CAN pump out 8 VERY quickly - then reload quickly and do it again. And EVERY infantryman had one. Just to keep things honest there were BAR's in there to mess with the other side, but just based on the firepower of M1's, the American infantry was the deadliest on the field.

The other factor was the .30-'06 round. The Mauser was good, but the '06 was easier to shoot quickly, accurately, and it went through things like trees. Friend of mine's stepdad was in Europe as a grunt. He talked about how the Germans would stroll across open fields about 1,000 yds away, calm as get out. His squad leader would get them to crank up their sights, then the whole squad would aim at, say the 3rd guy and shoot 3 or 4 rounds. Guy ALWAYS went down. Pretty soon the Krauts didn't stroll across the fields.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Dev, outstanding. Simply outstanding.

Yeah, I've been a Garand fan for most of my life. Now that I can actually afford to shoot mine, I'm trying to see how accurate I can be with one.

Someday, I want to take mine to an Appleseed event. Been there with a .22, but it doesn't take long to see that those guys can make a Garand sing and dance. Pretty cool to see people be able to consistently make hits at long distances with the rifle intended to do so, and with iron sights.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Dev, outstanding.  Simply outstanding.

Yeah, I've been a Garand fan for most of my life.  Now that I can actually afford to shoot mine, I'm trying to see how accurate I can be with one.  

Someday, I want to take mine to an Appleseed event.  Been there with a .22, but it doesn't take long to see that those guys can make a Garand sing and dance.  Pretty cool to see people be able to consistently make hits at long distances with the rifle intended to do so, and with iron sights.    

I have yet to go. I know I once could hit things at 500 yds as I qual'd with an M14. But eyes get old, and hands get shakey. I was shooting varmints from a rest, and I could hit stuff a LONG way out, but that was in part thanks to a Leupold 4-20 scope, set, of course, to 20x.

I love those old battle rifles. I have an FAL and a match M14 (actually the civilian version, but there's too many letters to write it all, and it is ALMOST like a real M14 - just no slot for the selector), and a couple Garands. Still like the Garand best, even with no magazine. Just seems to fall where you want it. Guy up here has about a dozen M14's in their various formats. He swears by them. So does Walt Kuleck of Fulton Armory. Guess we each have the guns we love.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Appleseeds are worth the time. Instead of shooting at long distances, you shoot at scaled down targets at 25 yards. The bullseye on the smallest targets is about the diameter of a pencil eraser. Took my then 11 year old son. One of the best weekends we ever had.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 pm

I did not know you could take a Garand to an appleseed event. I thought those were for .22's only. I might have to look for an appleseed to attend locally.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 am