6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:44 pm

I've long been an advocate here of the 6.8 SPC cartridge. I still believe it is a great, accurate, hard hitting round, but...

In order to celebrate my Escape From LA, I went on Brownells' website to buy some standard capacity 6.8 SPC mags. The normal broad range of 6.8 mag choices was now only 2 off-brand offerings, both at significant expense. I IM'd with a Brownells magazine technician, and asked what the heck had happened? .His response: "Pretty much the 300 Black."

Looks like the AR up-gun caliber war has been won. I need to withdraw my 6.8 recommendation.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: 6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Post by Devereaux on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Told you. None of the 6.somethings are going to make it.

IF you have enough stuff, no sense in getting rid of it. But you have the magazine issue, which is not present with the 300BLK. So you got what you got, and I presume you can reload your ammo so you will have availability. I would suggest, however, that you procure a supply of cases while you may still be able to get them relatively cheaply.

Else you can just buy a .300BLK barrel and convert your upper to that. Save the 6.8 for a rainy day. Or build a new upper in .300Blk and use that mostly.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Yup. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I'm going to keep shooting, reloading, and developing the 6.8 for my use. I'll be scrounging for the mags I prefer and laying aside a lifetime of brass. Didn't want any one else to join me in what seems to be an evolutionary dead-end.

I'll probably also be trying 300 BLK sometime soon: so keep us appraised, Dev.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Since you are already "invested" it only makes sense that you gather what you can for resources. Remember that in a pinch you CAN fire 6.8SPC from 5.56 magazines - just not the other way. So give that a whirl and see if you get a reasonable feed. I am not sure any of the other 6's do that, though.

The other serious question, in my mind, is the .308 AR platform. It requires a different lower (unlike yours) and different magazines TOTALLY, and obviously different uppers - and different springs and buffers. I know that except for lately, when I suspect the market for them has dropped, getting M14 mags was a problem - like $50+/mag. I think Service Rifle, and all the other rifle competitions, are all going to some version of the AR - IN 5.56. You can shoot 500yds accurately with a long barrel, 1:7 twist, and 77+gr bullets. Makes all the work of accurizing a 14 of Garand not worth the effort, especially since you no longer need any special skills. There will always be a group that loves the .308 battle rifles, so I don't think they are going away. But they will wane in popularity some.

So just buy some upper parts and put together a .300 BLK. You can shoot that on your current lower. All your 5.56 mags will work. Seems a good add to your collection. And if you absolutely, positively MUST have a dedicated lower for it (I FULLY understand such madness), Brownell's is still selling Bushmaster lowers for $50.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm

LOL. I might just buy 3 of those lowers... you know, for efficiency's sake. And I've also been looking at the .308. It makes a lot of sense to have one. The S&W M&P-10 is the current leader, but I've got to get a good look at a SCAR Heavy.

But before that, it's a CCW firearm. Shield, CCP, G27, who knows?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 am

I found a local guy who does transfers for only $15 per transfer, not per firearm. I also found a deal on some Anderson Manf. stripped lowers for $200 shipped for 5. Figured at that price I should pick up a bundle of 5. I am seriously looking into building up a 6.5 Grendel rifle. From what I read, it looks really nice.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Corn, you keep that up, you will be a manufacturer, with all the government paperwork that entails.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Further along in the 6.8 saga: I ordered 4 6.8 25 round Palmetto State Armory mags. Not a damn one fit my lower. Returned the bunch. Palmetto did refund my money, but I'm out $20 for shipping (both ways.) More than just a bit miffed at Palmetto - apparently this is a long-standing problem. Ordered 2 PRI mags from Brownells - they fit!

Corn - got targeted builds for the rest of the lowers? I'm putting together a parts list for a 300 Pistol. It will have olive drab furniture and mags - to hopefully keep the 300 out of the 5.56 guns.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Well, I figure I might use one or two as gifts... Nothing says "I care about you" more than a stripped AR-15 lower, eh? I plan on one as a Grendel build, one as a tactical solutions .22 build for a short suppressed rifle, and maybe a 458 socom or large bore AR? I have thought about maybe SBR'ing one of the lowers--so I can use a full stock with my pistol upper. Possibilities are endless.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:54 pm

I bought a lifetime supply of lowers, or so I thought. I've already got missions for all of them -- and more. In no specific order:

- 300 Pistol (suppressed) for home defense
    - 300 Rifle (suppressed, SBR, whatevah)
    - Wife's lightweight pink AR
    - 18" Dissipator / 3-Gun AR / Race Gun
    - Long Range AR-15. Probably 6.8 with a 20, 22 or 24" barrel
    - AR-15 Battle rifle
    - Friend wants a lower. Bastich, buy your own!
    - Justin Case

To the good, the wife says that if I buy her a house, she'll let me buy another safe.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I am coming to the opinion that most "regular guys" need at least 2 safes, maybe 3. Perhaps spreading them around the house...
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Yeah... I wish I could build a vault room. Gun racks in the middle and guns hanging on the walls... Awesome.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:47 am

Well -- it's official: WallyMart now stocks Remington .300 BLK (Supersonic).
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 am

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:  
    Well -- it's official: WallyMart now stocks Remington .300 BLK (Supersonic).

In today's world, that's the ultimate sign of approval.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:52 am

How much does 300 blk ammo run for at Wally's?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:09 am

Cornmastah wrote:How much does 300 blk ammo run for at Wally's?

It was so new at WallyMart that there was no yellow sticky with the price.

Went back today -- no 22 dammit! -- and the 5 or 6 300 BLK boxes were gone.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Hmmm....That's pretty disappointing. I myself have finally, as of a month or two ago jumped onto the AR bandwagon, and I'm having a heckuva lot of fun with it. So much fun that I'm thinking I would like to take my AR hunting. Well....5.56 is pretty controversial even for white tail deer. So...I get to thinking .300 Blackout. Issue there is that the .300 Blackout falls flat on it's face after 200 yards (Though I have met plenty of folks with good luck killing caribou with that cartridge. So...then I look at the 6.5 Grendel, and the 6.8 SPC. For my shaky hands and fading eyesight, the performance is pretty much a wash, with the 6.8 pulling slightly ahead due to slightly better availability and durability of weapon.

I don't know that I need a world of brass for a hunting/ accuracy rifle...300 rounds maybe? Definitely just a few mags for it. I've looked at the .300 Blackout, but...comparing to the 6.8, there's 300 FPS difference in the 110 grain bullet. That's fairly significant to me.

Maybe I oughta just leave my AR what it is, and keep hunting with my trusty old .338 WM. Using that rifle, there is no question it's up to anything I may desire to shoot on the North American Continent. Of course, then the AR gets a little harder to justify, but...still fun as hell.

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:07 pm

NotThe10thMan wrote:I've looked at the .300 Blackout, but...comparing to the 6.8, there's 300 FPS difference in the 110 grain bullet.  That's fairly significant to me.

Maybe I oughta just leave my AR what it is, and keep hunting with my trusty old .338 WM.  Using that rifle, there is no question it's up to anything I may desire to shoot on the North American Continent.  Of course, then the AR gets a little harder to justify, but...still fun as hell.

Just curious what animals you would be hunting.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Typically just caribou, black bear, and there's always the possibility of moose slipping onto the menu.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Hunting in the Midwest, one rarely takes a shot >100 yds. But I have hunted prairie dogs out in South Dakota, and there a shot of 1,000 yds is certainly within reason. Indeed, I have seen deer at 3-400 yds on many occasions.

I now hunt with my .300BLK. But my "back up" is a .300 WinMag. That will reach to any distance I would rationally shoot at and carries enough wallop to do the job. I hunted one season with a .338 WinMag, but it just kicked too much, and deer around here don't need that kind of power.

I believe that if you think AR, you need to remember just what they are - light weight carbines. Yes you can push them to a longer distance, but they don't go quietly in the night. Note that NO snipers in the service use an AR. None. And none shoot smaller than .30 cal. And they could shoot whatever they wanted.

I have serious questions about whether our military should be armed with AR's. I am aware of the German study that said that firefights were <=300 yds, but I am still unimpressed. There are too many circumstances where a longer shot is called for, and the AR in military form just falls on its face. I have no experience with the AR-10, so can't speak to the .308 ability of that platform, but question whether it is truly a lasting solution. I suspect in a military situation the rifle would not hold up.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:31 pm

It's unusual in the areas I hunt. most shots are within 100-200 yards. But....a few seasons back, I took my friend back there for the first time that was hell bent on scoping and practicing for long range. I kept telling him over, and over again that it was most likely to be a quick shot at 100 yards or so. 'lo and behold, all the shots he saw that year were at 500 yards or more. He went home empty handed, and I felt I'd given bad advice. As soon as my friend left to go home my son got his first caribou on the run from a rocking boat at 75 yards.

The following year, my friend took a VERY nice bull-perfect lung shot at 440 yards. dropped him where he stood with a single shot. I also took a very nice bull. Mine was shot at 25 yards.

My general way of thinking is still to plan for 100 yards or so, but don't forget how to shoot the longer ranges too.

Incidentally, I just yesterday found my AR set up. It's the .277 Wolverine. 5.56 brass shortened, necked up to 6.8, uses standard bolt, mags, etc. Only change is a barrel. It's bumping right up against the 6.8 SPC in velocity, though not quite there. One company is selling pre-formed brass for ridiculously cheap. My buddy bought a barrel for his Savage last night. I'm putting in an order for my barrel some time in the next couple days. We hope to be the first kids in Alaska to play with this one! Very Happy It'll be a fun caliber to play with, nice for wolves, coyote, black bear, etc. Can't justify it for the likely longer range scenarios, but should be a dandy short to mid range carbine for larger critters. These are the basic numbers from a 16" bbl.

85 grain MPG - 2750fps
    90 grain TNT - 2700fps
    95 grain TTSX - 2600fps
    100 grain Accubond - 2600fps
    110 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter - 2500fps
    110 grain Hornady V-Max - 2500fps

Even if I goof off with it for a year or two and then sell it or let it collect dust, I still look forward to the project.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:06 pm

AND then there are the totally disregarded .17 & .20 calibres. Barrels would be harder to come by. But out in SD most of the wolf hunters use .17 centerfire (like .17 Remington). Takes out the wolf/coyote with one shot and he drops right there. And the pelt is undamaged, the hole going in being so small, and generally no hole coming out as the bullet bounces about inside, tearing up his organs. One reason he drops. They are fast and even the .17's can reach 500, although you do have more wind to hold for.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Alright CF, I found something that I thought was really cool.  Probably not too practical for anybody, but since you already have a 6.8spc bolt and mags...  338 SPECTRE!!!  It is a cartridge designed by the same guy who did the 458 socom.  It is basically a biggie sized 300 blk.  10mm magnum pistol brass (not regular 10mm pistol brass) necked down to 338.  Brass is cheap and easy to form.  Bullets are plentiful (but a bit on the expensive side) and can be loaded supersonic or subsonic.  300 gr bullets for subsonic use & 200+ gr bullets for supersonic use.  It is a low pressure cartridge, so 9mm pistol suppressors can be used for the subsonic rounds. It just looks fun!

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 am

Interesting.

Our Gun Hipster at work was telling me about a new round based on a necked down .458 SOCOM cartridge. A 7 sumthin' caliber. Supposed to do everything including cooking you breakfast in the morning. Did not get to hear the whole story as I had to go pee on a fire one of our "special" salesmen kindled.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:33 am

a lot of cool gun stuff available these days...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:23 pm