Here's A Surprise

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Here's A Surprise

Post by Devereaux on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 pm

A while ago the Sharps Rifle Company had a sale on some new AR bolts that they were producing, called the Relia-Bolt. They had bevels on the front of the star rather than the usual full square teeth. It was suppose to make entering the star=locking area easier for the bolt. They were still square on the back, where the actual locking occurs.

Sharps was having a sale, half price or $50 each. I bought 2 - ?how could one possibly go wrong. I have been thinking of putting one on the .300BLK, just to see how it works, but haven't gotten around to it.

So I get in from work today and find in my pile of mail a larger envelope. In it are 2 Relia-Bolts. My first thought was that they goofed up and thought I had not gotten mine. But then I read the letter that came with it.

Seems that some of the bolts had an insufficient hardening process on the locking lugs, causing a couple somewhere to chip. Some had fired >10,000 rounds with no issue, but some issue had come up.

So they fixed the issue, tracked down all the people who got the bolts that might have an insufficiently hardened set of lugs, and sent them replacement bolts, with instructions to remove the old ones and install the new.

How refreshing to find a company that (a) keeps track of what people but, and (b) fixes their problems without being told to.

So you guys think you might want to look at something different, give Sharps Rifle Co.'s Relia-Bolt a look. They come with instructions on installation, but I figure no one here doesn't know how to remove the bolt from the BCG of an AR.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Here's A Surprise

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 am

I use the regular old fashioned mil-spec bolts, but I must agree that some of the best customer service comes from gun companies or gun related companies.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:13 am

Sharps has come up with something different. I admit it is "interesting". I am not claiming it is "necessary". Sometimes these kinds of "little things" make for a bigger picture. So, eg, full length guide rods in 1911. There is really no reason to have them, they DO produce a PITA to take down the weapon, and the old system may arguably be better. But you won't find a custom 1911 without one of some kind.

Perhaps these bolts should be looked at in the same vein. If you NEED to have the "very latest thing", then this is your ticket.

And, yes, you are right. Some of the gun companies DO give the best service.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:43 am

You'll have to let us know how they work after a few k's of rounds through the guns.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 pm