.25 ACP in a single shot sporting pistol?

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

.25 ACP in a single shot sporting pistol?

Post by NotThe10thMan on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:40 pm

I’ve got an idea I’ve been kicking around lately, and was wondering your thoughts on it…
    I’m considering having a custom barrel made for a Thompson Contender, chambered in .25 ACP. Yes. You read that correctly, the notorious 25 ACP of pimps, whores, drug dealers, “If anyone ever shoots me with one and I found out I’m gonna be really mad” infamy.

At its heart, no matter which way you slice it, the 25 ACP is a 35-50 grain slug, slightly larger than a .22 that is travelling out of a short barreled pistol at 800-1000 FPS. That sounds to me, like a fantastic small game and plinking round, if fired from a respectable weapon. A person could get a few hundred .25 ACP brass, a cheap mold (Maybe even #4 Buckshot?) and have a blast plinking, without having to sacrifice your first born for .22 rimfire ammo.

A powder charge for the 25 ACP is 1-2 grains, thereby yielding approximately 3500-7000 loads per pound of powder. Heck, for that matter, I wonder what it would do with just a straight up small rifle primer? Surely, 25 ACP brass can’t be hard to re-size and prime?

A person could easily change from quieter subsonic loads to full charges with a bit more potential, no sleeping in the Cabelas Parking Lot or meeting with strange people who posted classified ads necessary.

I think it’s an absolutely brilliant concept. Problem is, sometimes I get ideas that are so incredibly brilliant that on the gauge of intelligence, they spin the needle right past “brilliant” all the way to “utterly retarded” What do y’all think of the idea?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: .25 ACP in a single shot sporting pistol?

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 am

There are definitely other calibers which I would pick over a .25 acp, but I guess it all depends on what you are going for. I'm not really one to say that another's "odd project" isn't worth it, but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. I am curious though, how much would the custom barrel cost? A few things to consider:

1. How small and nimble are your fingers? Reloading a case that small and short might be a tad tricky.
    2. Are there any other calibers which are more "main stream" which might be able to achieve the same goal and come out less expensive(ie: regular barrel instead of custom)?
    3. Do you have any other guns that would fire the same round?
    4. What is brass availability like for that cartridge?
    5. Is there any other firearm that costs the same or less than the total project cost (including new dies, molds, and such) which you might want more?

When all is said and done, if you really want to do it, go ahead and let us know how it goes!
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 am

I have a friend, retired CPD, with whom I shot on a Marine Pistol team for a lot of years. He recounts a story when he was working vice. He picked up a prostitute and went back to her place. She had a room in the basement with dirt floor. So he's taking his clothes off, as one of the required aspects of making the pinch was that you had unrobed, and just then her 300lb boyfriend steps into the room. My friend, is jumping over the bed and fumbling with his clothes to get his .25 ACP Browning out - it was all he was carrying - and proceeds to shoot the guy. Who just stands there. And looks down. And plucks this round out of his sternum.

At which point my friend is yelling at his to get on the ground or he'll shoot him in the eye! Guy actually believed him (I would too, knowing my friend).

?Does this say anything about the .25 ACP round. ?What is wrong with some of the .17 calibres. You can get .17 HMR or .17 Mach II for not a whole lot of money. They shoot really flat, reach a fair way, shoot in light weapons, are a gas to shoot. I even have a Kimber 1911 in .17 Mach II. Wonderful gun to shoot. I use to hunt prairie dogs in SD and always took it along for grins. Had a great time just shooting it.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:26 am

As far as the practicality of the .25....long story short, very little to be gained. The few existing benefits would be:

It would be a project, cause...you know...God forbid I settle down and knock out the other thirty or forty gun projects I've got going.

It would be a great twist in irony which would sense my odd sense of irony and humor. Something about teaching my daughter to shoot on a .25 ACP and using it to shoot small game just appeals to me.

I would be the only kid in the neighborhood who had one, and in these days when every gun owning household in existence has a Glock, 1911, 10-22, or an AR-15 I think that'd be purty cool!

In further introspection though, I have to admit, I could accomplish the same goal in a number of other ways. I have a truck load of .38 Special brass I could download just fine to regulate recoil, noise, and power. I could also do a .327 Mag, and run .32 Special out of it. I could even do a .22 Hornet or a .223 with reduced Trail Boss loads. Many of those options wouldn't be as niggardly with regards to powder consumption as the .25 ACP, but on the other hand, that custom barrel would run me $400, brass another $150, dies, molds, etc. I’d be into it for a quick $700-$800, and that could buy a heckuva lot of powder and wheel weights.

Very cool story, regarding the awesome stopping power of the 25 ACP. My Father has quite a few of those himself from the LEO days, including a woman who pulled a .38 Wadcutter out of her afro, threw it on the ground, and stomped out of the police station.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Right now….it’s a maybe. I’m honest enough to admit it’s probably a stupid idea…but there’s plenty of times that’s failed to stop me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 am

Once upon a time I shot CAS. I shot a .45 Colt the first couple years, using a couple USFA six-guns and an Uberti 73. Later I got a couple Uberti Navy 36's, which I had converted to cartridge. Long story short I also got an Uberti 66 in .38 Spl.

Because the conversion kit was for .38 Long Colt, I loaded .38 Spl cases with a 105 gr lead bullet on 3.2 gr of Trail Boss. Pretty much a wimp load, which is fine since the old cap 'n ball guns are hardly up to shooting any serious power loads. In the 66 you hardly know that you shot anything.

Might want to think on something like that.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:55 am

Yeah, I bought a Handi-Rifle chambered in .357 Mag, cut the barrel to 16" and threaded it for a suppressor. I've been having fun experimenting with different loads for that gun. Although it takes more powder and lead than the 25acp, it is quite versatile. My 7 year old boy loves shooting it with a red-dot on it suppressed--don't even have to wear hearing protection.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:15 pm

That's something I considered last night- for $1K, a fella could easily do an NFA Trust, and be well on the way to owning a decent suppressor. In the past I've considered a .22 Suppressor, but subsonic ammo is still such a serious pain and darn expensive to locate. But, a 9mm/.38 Suppressor....that would have serious advantages. Pretty versatile in loads, plentiful brass, bullets, components, straight walled case, carbide dies...

I've never run a suppressor before (Except on PCP airguns) but I'm guessing a fella could just unthread it, check that you didn't create some bizarre, key holing monstrostity of a load, then thread it back on?

That's be darn fun, and I could even build it off a Contender frame, although I don't know why I would want to, when a H&R is much less idiosyncratic. Heck...I could even run a Ruger .357 Bolt gun with the suppressor, or do a typical 9mm pistol....

Or maybe smaller Suppressor on an 1895 Nagant.....??

My hitch up North is just starting, and I'm already getting a bubble off plum...This could end badly...

Thanks for the voices of sense and reason....
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 pm

If you decide to go the suppressor route, I would encourage you to take a serious look at the liberty mystic suppressor. It would be a great first suppressor (you could use it on various calibers).
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Well, I can see value in a project like that. I'd look at it like a 22 Short or Long you can reload. If you could find cast bullets for it, they'd have to be dirt cheap.

For something to shoot holes in cans, taking care of the occasional snake or rat, or anything else you'd do with a 22 short (which I like quite a bit and always keep one handy at the house), I think it's a pretty darn good idea.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:32 pm

I've never actually seen a 25 acp round in real life. I should go check it out at the local gun shop and see how small they really are.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:41 pm

I've played with a 25 acp Raven before. (Stop laughing...it was a very long time ago and "Pistolero Magazine" recommended it.) Wasn't bad to shoot, actually. Worthless as a defensive gun, but still fun.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I appreciate the suppressor suggestion. I'll have to look into that. Thankfully, there's no snakes and darn few rats to shoot at here, but I do have a few wayward squirrels every now and then, small game hunting, tin can rolling, etc...

I once had an FIE .25 auto I paid $5 for at a garage sale. Darn that guy ripped me off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:34 am