Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Share

    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 am

    I know I have several, but was wondering about yours. What gun purchases of yours were influenced by Movies or TV shows?

    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 718
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

    I mentioned this in another thread but will add it here. The first centerfire handgun I purchased was a beautiful 6 inch barrel S&W 29, because "Dirty Harry" has always been a favorite movie of mine.



    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 pm

    The TV show 'Jericho' made me want to buy a few 33 round Glock mags for my G19 as well as influenced the purchase of my Beretta 92. I think that was the first time I had ever seen a Glock with 33 round mags on TV. After watching that show, I NEEDED a Beretta 92.

    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 718
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:30 pm

    "Big Jake" with John Wayne greatly influenced my self-perceived need for a coach gun and a Winchester 92 type of rifle.

    Interesting bit of trivia, "Big Jake" (which came out in, I believe, 1973) was written by the same duo that wrote "Dirty Harry".

    Hey, wait a second. I might see a trend here in my gun collection!

    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

    Also, the double barrel scene in 'Open Range' where he blows the guy away through the wall... Had to get a coach gun.

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 pm

    Being a tad older than you guys, I grew up on westerns. While I can't speak to any direct influence, one has to note that the first gun I ever had was a Single Six with extra cylinder, and I bought a cowboy gunbelt for it. My second gun was a 3-screw Blackhawk in .357 with gunfighter length barrel. Got a MUCH nicer gun rig from out in Southern Cal for that (still have the gunbelt but no even vague hopes of ever being able to wear anything that small).

    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 627
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:52 pm

    I assume my love of lever ('scuse me) leeever actions stems from my misspent youth watching TV oaters. Other than that... not really; I already wanted all the guns.

    Well... there is Jesse Ventura's <spit> minigun in Predator...

    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 718
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:22 pm

    Charlie Foxtrot wrote: Well... there is Jesse Ventura's <spit> minigun in Predator...  

    Ah, yes. "Old Painless." Absolutely classic. "I ain't got time to bleed."

    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

    Posts : 67
    Join date : 2014-11-21

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by betafu2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:28 pm

    Taurus M85UL .38 Special snubnosed revolver. I didn't know at the time how hard it would be to shoot, but the .38 snub is what detectives wore for so long and it was very film-noir'y for me and appealed to the kid in me that wanted to chase after gangsters!

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 pm

    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Well... there is Jesse Ventura's <spit> minigun in Predator...  

    I heard somewhere a story, not necessarily true, that the first modern gatling gun was "invented" by a couple cadets at West Point.

    The story goes that cadets have access to the whole collection of weaponry that the Point has and a couple enterprising ones took a read Gatling Gun out and then hooked it to a washing machine motor to spin the handle.

    Don't know if any of you have been around Gatlings, old or new, but the old ones seem to basically chug, while the new ones purr - not at all what you would expect of a firearm. The motor combined, I suppose, with the noise of the firing make a distinctive sound nothing like firearms. Think of a coffee grinder amplified a bunch. They also VIBRATE! We had 5.56 ones in the A-37 and a range ride generally included a couple runs at the targets with the gun. Shook the filings out of you when the gun was firing.

    So kool as it is, I would suspect Jesse Ventura's <spit> weapon is more than a bit impractical. But it is rather kool to contemplate.

    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 627
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 pm

    According to the intrawebz, the ammo pack on Ventura's <spit> back would enable about a 4 second minigun burst.

    Followed by a VERY loud minigun silence. Wink

    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2014-12-14
    Location : Alaska

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by NotThe10thMan on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

    For most of my adult life, I've always avoided "running with the herd" and doing what's popular. The quickest way to hear me ramble on about the virtues of a flintlock, knife, and tomahawk is to put me in a room surrounded with the "Tacti-kool" Fan Boy types. Having said that, I must admit a long held desire for a very short barreled, sawed off 12 ga. Mad Max special.

    Thinking back on watching "Rambo First Blood Part II" as a kid I remember trying so hard to emulate that I had a recurve, some M-70s, and one of those hollow handled survival knives I'd walked five miles and back to the flea market to get. Remember, Red Dawn was right about this time also...I was READY for them dirty Russians to drop paratroopers into hicktown Georgia.

    Thinking a little harder, I also remember "Legends of The Fall" when the old father shot the gummint agent with a Sharps rifle and blew him back like....twenty feet or something. I loved that scene, and had a falling block 45/70 within a year or so after that.

    In retrospect, perhaps I'm not as immune as I like to pretend.

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 pm

    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:According to the intrawebz, the ammo pack on Ventura's <spit> back would enable about a 4 second minigun burst.  

    Followed by a VERY loud minigun silence.  Wink

    It's 6,000 rounds per minute from those beauties. So even for 4 seconds, you would have to have 400 rounds. Now, up in the jungle we carried 6 bandoliers of 7 mags each, so 42 mags with 17 rounds per, or 714 rounds. That comes out about 7 seconds. AND Jesse Ventura <spit> should have been able to carry a somewhat larger load - say 1,000 rounds - or 10 seconds.

    But then, you're right. After 10 seconds, a VERY LOUD - silence.

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:52 pm

    NotThe10thMan wrote:For most of my adult life, I've always avoided "running with the herd" and doing what's popular.  The quickest way to hear me ramble on about the virtues of a flintlock, knife, and tomahawk is to put me in a room surrounded with the "Tacti-kool" Fan Boy types.  Having said that, I must admit a long held desire for a very short barreled, sawed off 12 ga. Mad Max special.

    Thinking back on watching "Rambo First Blood Part II" as a kid I remember trying so hard to emulate that  I had a recurve, some M-70s, and one of those hollow handled survival knives I'd walked five miles and back to the flea market to get.  Remember, Red Dawn was right about this time also...I was READY for them dirty Russians to drop paratroopers into hicktown Georgia.

    Thinking a little harder, I also remember "Legends of The Fall" when the old father shot the gummint agent with a Sharps rifle and blew him back like....twenty feet or something.  I loved that scene, and had a falling block 45/70 within a year or so after that.

    In retrospect, perhaps I'm not as immune as I like to pretend.

    I don't believe any of us are immune, nt10. All of us see movies that we think are neat, and all of us get impressed by certain weapons. Not necessarily the same for each, but some impression. If you're a gun guy, you are bound to notice guns. If you are a western guy, like I was brought up to be, then you notice when things are period correct (Tom Selleck's TV movies are quite good at that). So his Sharps is neat, and his 1876 musket wooded rifle in Crossfire Creek is also notable, as was his S&W Schofield. And who among the cowboy guys could forget his Colt open-top '72 in Showdown at Saber River (although admittedly the period was a bit earlier than the gun came out). I don't necessarily have all those, but I notice them. I have a bird-grip 3" Ruger SAA in part because Kilmer's Doc Holiday had one. Kind of fun little gun but I don't shoot it worth a darn. Wouldn't trade it, though.

    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2014-12-14
    Location : Alaska

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by NotThe10thMan on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:28 pm

    Yeah, true 'nuff. I grew up kinda in between Dirty Harry, a few westerns, and a heap of Vietnam movies. Between the influence of my Father and the Vietnam movies I spent many years of my life believing I would have a totally complete arsenal if I could just own an M-14, 1911, and an 870 shotgun. I've had the 870 for.....27 years or so now, I've swapped a ton of 1911s back and forth, and foolishly traded off the one M1A I had.

    The 870 is an undying love, the M1A, is a strong affection, and the 1911....I can generally take or leave.

    My affection for double action revolvers is a different thing altogether...hard to piece that one together, especially the fact that I yearn for S&W revolvers, even though in my heart of hearts I believe Rugers are better.

    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:45 pm

    NotThe10thMan wrote:The 870 is an undying love, the M1A, is a strong affection, and the 1911....I can generally take or leave.

    Interesting... those options are valued differently by me. I would put the 1911 on top, then the m1a, and then the 870 (at least when it comes to emotional attachment). My 870 I view the same as my Glock--it is a tool that I rely on but have no emotional attachment to. I could sell either the 870 or glock now and buy another one later without shedding a single tear. Smile

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 pm

    NotThe10thMan wrote:Yeah, true 'nuff.  I grew up kinda in between Dirty Harry, a few westerns, and a heap of Vietnam movies.  Between the influence of my Father and the Vietnam movies I spent many years of my life believing I would have a totally complete arsenal if I could just own an M-14, 1911, and an 870 shotgun.  I've had the 870 for.....27 years or so now, I've swapped a ton of 1911s back and forth, and foolishly traded off the one M1A I had.  

    The 870 is an undying love, the M1A, is a strong affection, and the 1911....I can generally take or leave.

    My affection for double action revolvers is a different thing altogether...hard to piece that one together, especially the fact that I yearn for S&W revolvers, even though in my heart of hearts I believe Rugers are better.

    I would not care much about any 870. I am into auto's or O/U's for shotguns, although I have 3 1897's which I do dearly love. I started in the Marine Corps with an M-14, and never liked it all that much. It is a solid rifle, and it has good features but I find it kind of "unloveable". I am far more attached to my FAL, which I think is lots kooler looking, even when it doesn't shoot quite as well. I DO have an accurized M1A. It weighs a ton, but shoots one-holers. Now you want to talk about Garands!

    The 1911, OTOH, is to me THE autopistol. I have lots of others, and even carry something else, but I have the most 1911's, in all manner of forms and types. Of all the guns out there that I don't have, about the ONLY one I really, really, really want is a Nighthawk T4 in 9mm. It would be a legacy gun. And I have neat other 1911's.

    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2014-12-14
    Location : Alaska

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by NotThe10thMan on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:28 pm

    Devereaux wrote:[quote

    I would not care much about any 870. I am into auto's or O/U's for shotguns, although I have 3 1897's which I do dearly love. I started in the Marine Corps with an M-14, and never liked it all that much. It is a solid rifle, and it has good features but I find it kind of "unloveable". I am far more attached to my FAL, which I think is lots kooler looking, even when it doesn't shoot quite as well. I DO have an accurized M1A. It weighs a ton, but shoots one-holers. Now you want to talk about Garands!

    The 1911, OTOH, is to me THE autopistol. I have lots of others, and even carry something else, but I have the most 1911's, in all manner of forms and types. Of all the guns out there that I don't have, about the ONLY one I really, really, really want is a Nighthawk T4 in 9mm. It would be a legacy gun. And I have neat other 1911's.

    The 870 for me morphed into a different type of attachment. Before I left Georgia, I'd killed darn near everything that ever walked, crawled, slithered, or flew with that thing. I had a pretty good start here in Alaska before I discovered girls all that killer instinct started to fade. I've made many impressive shot with mine, and got to show off with it a lot for my wife when we were young kids dating. Even if I wanted out of the 870, I just don't think my wife would let that happen. To her it would be akin to Thor ditching Mjolnir or Odin pawning off Gungnir. It just makes her feel a grand level of protected. Though it's a massive over rating of my abilities and all, it makes her feel good, and who am I to argue with her charitable perception? As I've aged, I have come to consider that more time at the trap range or walking the woods with a nice over under would indeed be time very well spent.

    The M1A....If money were no object, I'd probably have one, but as I know myself....I'm pretty sure I would buy one, get it all zooted up properly, go to the range once in awhile, beat on the 300 yard gong for awhile and feel like a real tough man. Then if I ever took it out in the woods, I would likely curse every moment of its existence and replace it with my beat down old turn bolt or lever gun first chance I got. It would certainly fulfill my joys and dreams from a nostalgia perspective, but for my mundane realities...meh, give me a lever or bolt rifle.

    I think on the 1911 I'd fallen under the evil influence of Grant Cunningham for awhile. I'd sold off my last one, played with my various revolvers and all, but...in a year or so of hindsight, I have learned some things in its absence. Things like there just ain't much out there that has the sweet, light, crisp trigger pull of a well tuned 1911. And also,with my wife's tiny hands, the 1911 is about the only way for her to comfortably shoot .45 ACP, and sometimes, running with the pack ain't such a bad thing when it comes to being able to easily get parts for customization, magazines, holsters, etc. I've also learned the true extent to which I HATE HATE HATE a DA/SA pistol. There will be another 1911 in my home, by the end of 2015 I'm sure. Besides, my FN Hi-Power is missing it's cousin.

    Nighthawk T4 1911 in 9mm would be incredibly sweet to have. Many people seem to think the 1911 simply MUST be in .45 ACP, unless you're some kinda Communist Eunuch who hates his mama, America, and apple pie, but I can see a lot of great advantages to it.

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 pm

    Actually, I wouldn't mind having a SOCOM from Springfield. I have handled those in a gun store, and they are nice. Not nearly as much of the bulk. Handles more quickly.

    BUT STILL - there is nothing like a Garand. I have 2, an older one and a shooter. They just fall naturally on target, the recoil is easy to handle, and the round is one of the more potent battle rifle rounds there. I believe it is better than the .308, despite the latter being designed to replace the .30-'06 in a short case.

    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:49 pm

    Devereaux wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind having a SOCOM from Springfield. I have handled those in a gun store, and they are nice. Not nearly as much of the bulk. Handles more quickly.

    Socom 16 right? That Socom II is one heavy beast. I thought I would like one of the Socom II's until I actually held one in the store. They are bulky and heavy. Too much unnecessary metal on the gun--unless you really love rails.

    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1178
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Devereaux on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:52 pm

    Cornmastah wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind having a SOCOM from Springfield. I have handled those in a gun store, and they are nice. Not nearly as much of the bulk. Handles more quickly.

    Socom 16 right?  That Socom II is one heavy beast.  I thought I would like one of the Socom II's until I actually held one in the store.  They are bulky and heavy.  Too much unnecessary metal on the gun--unless you really love rails.

    Right. SOCOM 16. I have handled one in the store, and it didn't seem that heavy, but I am not that accustomed to AR's that more standard battle rifles bother me. The Garand is heavy also, especially when you put the ammo in. And the SOCOM would be with a 20-round mag. Still, it seemed nice. And it doesn't give away anything much int he velocity arena to the standard 20" barrels, surprisingly.

    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 718
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:04 pm

    Cornmastah wrote:My 870 I view the same as my Glock--it is a tool that I rely on but have no emotional attachment to.  I could sell either the 870 or glock now and buy another one later without shedding a single tear. Smile

    Not me. I grew up in the Midwest where bird hunting, especially pheasant hunting, is a national past-time. My entire extended family ALL giddily loved their Remington 1100's. They were nice guns, no doubt. But when the morning started with duck hunting, then moved to pheasant hunting around lunchtime, followed by knocking obnoxious squirrels out of the trees as the sun started to set, I developed a strong love for a shotgun that could move from 3 inch magnums, to standard field loads, to low-brass loads.

    I couldn't WAIT to get my 870. It will be the last gun to leave my collection.

    Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 962
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Cornmastah on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:57 pm

    Tennessee Jed wrote:Not me.  I grew up in the Midwest where bird hunting, especially pheasant hunting, is a national past-time.  My entire extended family ALL giddily loved their Remington 1100's.  They were nice guns, no doubt.  But when the morning started with duck hunting, then moved to pheasant hunting around lunchtime, followed by knocking obnoxious squirrels out of the trees as the sun started to set, I developed a strong love for a shotgun that could move from 3 inch magnums, to standard field loads, to low-brass loads.

    I couldn't WAIT to get my 870.  It will be the last gun to leave my collection.

    Interesting how different experiences affect how we view our firearms. I've only busted clays with my 870, and I bought it when I was already an adult collecting firearms. I also prefer busting clays with my other shotguns, so mine mostly sits around gathering dust.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Your Gun Purchases Influenced by TV or Movies

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:08 am


      Current date/time is Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:08 am