Suppressors in Illinois

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Suppressors in Illinois

Post by Devereaux on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:03 am

I just heard from a retired cop friend of mine (a Marine - ?what else) that both houses of the Illinois legislature have introduced a bill to legalize suppressors. Apparently hunters are clamouring that they are losing their hearing and want them.

Woo-hoo! I may join Corn in owning a couple suppressors soon. I have a .22 adapter kit for my 226 with a threaded barrel, and I could see building another AR with a barrell that will take a suppressor.

Man, I sincerely hope they pass this!
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Suppressors in Illinois

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:25 pm

If it does indeed pass, keep us updated. I have done quite a bit of playing around with suppressors and subsonic loads--it can be very addicting and fun. Those heavy barrel Ruger MKIII's are awesome when it comes to shooting accurately while suppressed.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Maybe you might give us a little white paper on various suppressors - which are good, which are not, etc. Good characteristics, bad characteristics. Knowing pretty much nothing about them, I have to say the ones on the AR's in Ameican Sniper were kool looking.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:55 am

I'm really itchin' for one of those Liberty Mystic X's.  That might be one you would want to take a look at for a first suppressor. You could use it on your .223, .300blk, .22, 9mm, etc...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 am

One of the themes of SHOT was suppressors. Many companies are getting into suppressors, including SIG. Prices might just be going down!
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 am

Well, the fact that Illinois is actually contemplating them is huge. Perhaps it's a bit about having a republican governor. But apparently the article noted that hunters were complaining about hearing loss. Certainly when you add Great Britain's long-held legality of suppressors, it only makes sens.

Which means Chicago will fight it tooth and nail.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm

The local shop finally got some Liberty Mystic X's in stock. I went down and looked at one--they let me take it apart and look at the guts. It looks cool, stainless steel monocore with a titanium tube. It is a little long, but I value suppression more than size or length. I may have to put one down on the long layaway plan and get that $200 stamp fee ready.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Still haven't quite figured out that Liberty Mystic. ?Is there a different suppressor for each calibre but they are all the same model, or can ONE suppressor work in all those different calibres.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:45 pm

It is the "one can to rule them all" approach.  The Mystic-X appears to be an overbuilt pistol suppressor (9mm caliber) which due to the strength of its design, can withstand the pressures of multiple rifle calibers (ie: 300 blk, 5.56, etc...).  You would have to buy the suppressor thread adapters/boosters for the various guns you want to shoot it with, like 1/2x28 for 9mm pistol, 5.56, .22, etc., and 5/8x24 for 300 blk etc... but you can shoot them all with the same suppressor.  Makes a great 1st suppressor.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Hmmm. That DOES sound like a great suppressor.

Guess my next thing to look at is an NFA trust. It would keep the guns from "sticky hands" (like the state) and make it easy to transfer stuff to "others".
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 pm

NFA trust is the way to go. It allows you to share your items with family and friends legally.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:23 am