The topic of "Truck/Trunk Guns"

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

The topic of "Truck/Trunk Guns"

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Do any of you have specific "truck/trunk guns" that you always leave in your vehicle? Usually people pick inexpensive but reliable long guns (sometimes people just use handguns too) to accomplish this purpose. I usually have my glock or a revolver with me wherever I go, so I haven't dedicated any of my other firearms for the specific purpose of leaving in my vehicle at all times "just in case." I've been thinking of this a bit more lately and I do think it would be a good idea for me. If I ever needed to actually use a firearm for self defense or what not, I would prefer a long gun over almost any hand gun. My cubicle at work is located right next to a door/exit of the building. I am one of the first to arrive at work and always park right next to the door. I would have quick access to my car/trunk gun if needed.

List of potential trunk guns:
    SKS (sold all of mine, not sure if I want to buy another until they come down in price again)
    Pistol caliber carbine, like maybe a keltec Sub 2000 (also folds up nice and would use same mags as my g19)
    AK underfolder
    Rossi 92'
    CZ VZ2008
    Coach gun side by side (breaks up nice and fast to put together) with a side saddle
    Inexpensive bolt gun with a 1-4x scope or red dot like a Ruger American or Mosin Nagant or something similar (not sure if a bolt gun would be a good option or not)

Do any of you utilize a trunk gun? Thoughts? Recommendations? What do you or what would you use?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: The topic of "Truck/Trunk Guns"

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:46 pm

No trunk gun - my ride has been broken into too many times... However, it's a tempting idea, especially in these crazy times.  

I like your idea of the pistol caliber carbine, like the Keltec or another similar carbine I can't remember the name of. Sharing several 33 round sticks with your pistol sounds like a great idea. BTW, the trunk is an ugly place to put an arm: high humidity, temperature changes, and vibration; not to mention cans of chili. I wouldn't put a valued firearm in there. So... Keltec it is. Wink.  

Doc keeps a Mosin in his trunk, and prolly a sardine can of 7.62x54R. He'll be ready for the coming Velociraptor invasion.  

Unfortunately, I don't see SKS' coming down in price. I'm glad I grabbed my Tula when I could.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:BTW, the trunk is an ugly place to put an arm: high humidity, temperature changes, and vibration

Oil the gun first and then wrap it in a garbage bag that you can easily rip it out of?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:BTW, the trunk is an ugly place to put an arm: high humidity, temperature changes, and vibration

Oil the gun first and then wrap it in a garbage bag that you can easily rip it out of?

That sounds good. With quarterly maintenance?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Something like that... or make sure you bring it along and pop off a mag of ammo each time you go shooting--with a normal cleaning afterwards?
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Those, along with theft, is why I've not gone that route...maybe stashing a stainless revolver instead of an AK..?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:18 pm

MrJim wrote:

Those, along with theft, is why I've not gone that route...maybe stashing a stainless revolver instead of an AK..?

Trouble is... if you need your gat on the road, distances could very well be 20 - 50 yards (out of my personal pistol range.) That's why Corn's suggestion of the KelTec sounds like a very good one. And with my old age and experience treachery, I just might be able to rig a hidey-hole that would be safe from your average hood-rat's quickie B&E.  

Then again - a SS revolver (GP-100, per choice) would be much easier to hide.

'nudder thought: A BTS/ functional .357 or .30-30 leaver action would be a great trunk gun. Inexpensive, light, compact, flat, hard hitting, and not as threatening to Officer Friendly as a modern EBR.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    MrJim wrote:

Trouble is... if you need your gat on the road, distances could very well be 20 - 50 yards (out of my personal pistol range.) That's why Corn's suggestion of the KelTec sounds like a very good one. And with my old age and experience treachery, I just might be able to rig a hidey-hole that would be safe from your average hood-rat's quickie B&E.  

Then again - a SS revolver (GP-100, per choice) would be much easier to hide.

'nudder thought: A BTS/ functional .357 or .30-30 leaver action would be a great trunk gun. Inexpensive, light, compact, flat, hard hitting, and not as threatening to Officer Friendly as a modern EBR.

.30-30 sounds reasonable~~.357 leevers are way too expensive these days..I have a jm marked .44 Marlin I bought used some years back and selling for double these days...the abuse in a trunk requires a dependable but ultimately commodity/throw-away sort of weapon I would think..
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 pm

How much does a "cheeeep" 30-30 run these days?
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Cornmastah wrote:How much does a "cheeeep" 30-30 run these days?

I see 'em in the 300 range in the classifieds.

Another option would be a shortened milsurp~maybe a sporterized Enfield or M44 Mosin...and maybe a .22 Mag semi auto would be enough of a trunk gun to get us out of a bad situation...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I'm kicking myself for not picking up that thrashed Marlin 1894C in .357 with a bright bore and smooth action...
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:I'm kicking myself for not picking up that thrashed Marlin 1894C in .357 with a bright bore and smooth action...

I think there's a lot of self-kicking going on, but we didn't expect Marlin's decline..
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 pm

heh, not quite cheap, but also not bad for a reliable .308 rifle:

PAP M77
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Cornmastah wrote:heh, not quite cheap, but also not bad for a reliable .308 rifle:

PAP M77

Very cool, Corn! Have you shot one? I'm pretty interested.
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:40 am

Don't forget inexpensive shotguns, as well. A Mossberg 500 can be very reasonable in price (mine was $200 new!) but capable of throwing good buckshot patterns or even slugs.

All my best,
    DB
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Dirty Bob wrote:Don't forget inexpensive shotguns, as well. A Mossberg 500 can be very reasonable in price (mine was $200 new!) but capable of throwing good buckshot patterns or even slugs.

All my best,
    DB

This is the direction I'm going with trunk gun actually Cool
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Very cool, Corn! Have you shot one?  I'm pretty interested.  

I have not shot one yet, but held one at the local gun shop. I've read reviews on the rifle and it seems that people really like them--especially for the price. I wonder if .308 would be overkill for a trunk/truck gun though. It definitely feels tough, like it can bounce around in a trunk and still function.

Dirty Bob wrote:Don't forget inexpensive shotguns, as well. A Mossberg 500 can be very reasonable in price (mine was $200 new!) but capable of throwing good buckshot patterns or even slugs.

All my best,
    DB

I'd totally forgotten about pump shotguns. That might be another good option--although maybe more of a closer range weapon. What would you load it with? With some type of buck, would you be worried about not making accurate shots or accidentally hitting unintended targets?
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    I'd totally forgotten about pump shotguns.  That might be another good option--although maybe more of a closer range weapon.  What would you load it with?  With some type of buck, would you be worried about not making accurate shots or accidentally hitting unintended targets?

Every shotgun is a law unto itself. With a full choke tube out to 50 feet or more, many shotguns will keep all buckshot on a paper plate. You'd need to test different brands of buck to see which does best in your gun. If you're worried about pattern size, you can go with slugs.

I prefer 20ga over 12ga. Less recoil in similar weight shotguns, and still plenty of lead hitting the target. I only use buckshot / slugs for defense; no little shot intended for small animals.

A final plus: I was able to buy shotshells throughout the entire ammo shortage.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

BLACKSHIRT

Post by BLACKSHIRT on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Extar EXP AR pistol. Its 450-500, polymer, don't have to worry about humidity, and its small. No buffer tube. Cool gun and fun to shoot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 pm