NooB CCW Holder

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

NooB CCW Holder

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:07 pm

As a gunnie interested in self-defense, I'm about to start a new phase in my armed life; as a CCW holder.  

I've taken MO's mandated CCW course, attended several much better SD courses, and applied for my permit.

This Valentine's Day, I received my Alien Gear IWB holsters. (I love me!) I've been wearing the G23 around the house. Permit comes this week or next.  

This schlitz just got real.  

I'll post my thoughts and experiences as a CCW newbie - you too.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: NooB CCW Holder

Post by Devereaux on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Well, I for one await to hear your experience.

I have been carrying in Indiana, where I hold a permit, for over a year. The hassle of traveling with a firearm are significant but not anything that can't be overcome. Since I go to the same destination, and it is a relatively small airport, the people THERE know me and when they see me, they usually get the forms out and ready so it's really not that big an issue. The issue is with O'Hare. No one there seems to have a clue what the law/regulation is. It seems every trip I get a different answer.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:31 am

Lol, practice going to the bathroom...  You'd be surprised how many people mess that up.  Once the belt gets loosened, be prepared to keep the gun from pulling the belt out of the loops and falling. Been carrying in Utah for about 8 or 9 years--it's normal here though.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:16 am

Had my first fail.

I'm wearing the empty holster around to get used to it. After picking up one of m'boy's better efforts on the dog walk, my wind-shirt had ridden up and tucked itself behind the holster.  And had remained that way for another two miles of dog walk. <sigh>

I'm going to need longer jackets, shirt, etc.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm

You will get used to constantly making certain that the shirt covers the gun. The trick is to be able to do it surreptitiously so no one knows what you're doing.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Right!!!

?Am I on Candid Camera.

You could always sew little weights around the edges of your shirts - keep them down.

I just wear something like a fleece over and zip it up so it doesn't flap. Inside I then unzip.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Also, consider a pocket holster. There are times it is really useful.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 pm

I pocket carry a snub nose or the LCP when I don't feel like carrying the g19.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I pocket carry a snub nose or the LCP when I don't feel like carrying the g19.

Exactly! There are times when a pocket carry is the best way for what you need. But you need a weapon that fits in the pocket.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Come Summer, I'll certainly be in the market for a pocket pistol. LCP or similar. I've got a pair of shorts I could hide a howitzer in.  

For now -- it's going down to -2F tonight.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:30 pm

I've been carrying for nearly 20 years now.  When we were first able to get a permit here I was somewhat paranoid about staying concealed (I didn't want to be charged with "brandishing") and ended up buying a .32 Beretta Tomcat for summer since it was small and yet larger than a .25....this was mid 90s or so.  I always followed the old technique of putting my keys or wallet in the jacket pocket on the side I carried to help keep the wind from blowing it back and being exposed...those were the good old days..  And yeah I was paranoid that people were watching me all the time and I was always checking to make sure I was covered even when I wore an IWB holster lol.

Some years back laws were changed here in PA and now we're "allowed" to open carry without a license ("license" now, not a "permit") so even though I never open carry I don't worry too much about being seen if my "concealed" isn't quite good enough. I've easily carried a full size Beretta 92 IWB under a tshirt with no problem.  I've never been approached in all these years, and have come to realize that people as a whole just aren't that observant to things.  Our county is ranked #13 as the most "armed" county in the USA and I've never "made" anyone else (though I've seen a couple open carry guys out there) but then I notice myself that I really don't pay that much attention to "regular" folks around me to be looking either.  I've never lost that sense of "I'm carrying a gun" no matter how comfortable it might be, and hope I never do.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:18 pm

MrJim wrote:I've been carrying for nearly 20 years now.  When we were first able to get a permit here I was somewhat paranoid about staying concealed (I didn't want to be charged with "brandishing") and ended up buying a .32 Beretta Tomcat for summer since it was small and yet larger than a .25....this was mid 90s or so.  I always followed the old technique of putting my keys or wallet in the jacket pocket on the side I carried to help keep the wind from blowing it back and being exposed...those were the good old days..  And yeah I was paranoid that people were watching me all the time and I was always checking to make sure I was covered even when I wore an IWB holster lol.

Some years back laws were changed here in PA and now we're "allowed" to open carry without a license ("license" now, not a "permit") so even though I never open carry I don't worry too much about being seen if my "concealed" isn't quite good enough.  I've easily carried a full size Beretta 92 IWB under a tshirt with no problem.  I've never been approached in all these years, and have come to realize that people as a whole just aren't that observant to things.  Our county is ranked #13 as the most "armed" county in the USA and I've never "made" anyone else (though I've seen a couple open carry guys out there) but then I notice myself that I really don't pay that much attention to "regular" folks around me to be looking either.  I've never lost that sense of "I'm carrying a gun" no matter how comfortable it might be, and hope I never do.

Guess I've been around cops long enough that I subconsciously note who has his shirt untucked. I do not particularly look for printing, and if I'm with a cop friend, I simply EXPECT he is carrying. When I carry a pocket gun, I really don't bother to worry at all. Since I have started wearing a slide holster, I have found myself with my fleece hooked on the front part of the holster now and then, so I pay a little attention, though not so much. Mostly when I get up or sit down. Since I wear it at 4 o'clock, mostly it isn't a factor. Summer I will wear a vest often (even unarmed), so people are accustomed to seeing me with a vest.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:30 am

Devereaux wrote:
    MrJim wrote:I've been carrying for nearly 20 years now.  When we were first able to get a permit here I was somewhat paranoid about staying concealed (I didn't want to be charged with "brandishing") and ended up buying a .32 Beretta Tomcat for summer since it was small and yet larger than a .25....this was mid 90s or so.  I always followed the old technique of putting my keys or wallet in the jacket pocket on the side I carried to help keep the wind from blowing it back and being exposed...those were the good old days..  And yeah I was paranoid that people were watching me all the time and I was always checking to make sure I was covered even when I wore an IWB holster lol.

Some years back laws were changed here in PA and now we're "allowed" to open carry without a license ("license" now, not a "permit") so even though I never open carry I don't worry too much about being seen if my "concealed" isn't quite good enough.  I've easily carried a full size Beretta 92 IWB under a tshirt with no problem.  I've never been approached in all these years, and have come to realize that people as a whole just aren't that observant to things.  Our county is ranked #13 as the most "armed" county in the USA and I've never "made" anyone else (though I've seen a couple open carry guys out there) but then I notice myself that I really don't pay that much attention to "regular" folks around me to be looking either.  I've never lost that sense of "I'm carrying a gun" no matter how comfortable it might be, and hope I never do.

Guess I've been around cops long enough that I subconsciously note who has his shirt untucked. I do not particularly look for printing, and if I'm with a cop friend, I simply EXPECT he is carrying. When I carry a pocket gun, I really don't bother to worry at all. Since I have started wearing a slide holster, I have found myself with my fleece hooked on the front part of the holster now and then, so I pay a little attention, though not so much. Mostly when I get up or sit down. Since I wear it at 4 o'clock, mostly it isn't a factor. Summer I will wear a vest often (even unarmed), so people are accustomed to seeing me with a vest.

One summer I did the Hawaiian tropical shirt thing for cover but even with only a tank top underneath it still felt like too much~I did a vest which was simply a camo top with the sleeves cut off~eventually found that an untucked black tshirt hid the IWB if I wanted something bigger than the .32 in the pocket....and even then I wear an old lite "wife-beater" tshirt under that...don't like gun against bare skin. Over all the pocket worked best but found my model 60 a little too heavy (size wasn't so bad) for it though one of the lightweight revolvers would work fine. I looked at those newer style holster that allow you to tuck in shirts but those exposed clips on the belt seem like a dead giveaway.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:31 am

I have DeSantis Nemisis for a S&W Liteweight, a PPK, and the Shield. It works well. I am happy with it. And it's only about $12.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 am

I've already got my "Shoot Me First" IPSC vest. Wink

Ordered His and Hers matching (keyed alike) car gun lock boxes.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:07 pm

And now, for something completely different, I have an S&W Highway Patrolman, Model 28, that I want to carry from time to time. Don't want to use a kydex holster for fear of marring up the finish, so today I ordered a sourdough pancake holster from Simply Rugged and had them add their IWB straps.

I used to carry my GP100 in the same holster and it worked fine.

Will let you all know how it works out, just in case anyone else is interested in carrying a...well...let's just call it a "full-sized handgun."
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Both leather and kydex wear finishes over time. You can't escape, TJ!
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Devereaux wrote:Both leather and kydex wear finishes over time. You can't escape, TJ!

Ain't that the sad truth?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Well... the shi'ite's just gotten real. My application for a CCW has been approved. I pick up the card tomorrow.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:28 am

"You've taken your first step into a larger world." --- Obiwan Kenobi
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:25 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:"You've taken your first step into a larger world."  --- Obiwan Kenobi

Better yet, I'm beyond the horrible first 3 movies. Rolling Eyes
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 am

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    Tennessee Jed wrote:"You've taken your first step into a larger world."  --- Obiwan Kenobi

Better yet, I'm beyond the horrible first 3 movies. Rolling Eyes

Wait, wait! ?You didn't LIKE the first three Star Wars movies. That's almost unAmerican.

(BTW, ?were you old enough to remember the original Star Wars when it came out.)
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 am

Saw Star Wars at Hollywood's Mann's Chinese Theater the weekend it opened. First summer my group had drivers licenses. Must have made the 20 mile pilgrimage driving Mom's station wagon five or six times during the summer.

I was a Star Wars geek way before it was cool.

However, I despised films I and II, and didn't bother seeing III. Films IV, V, VI were the real Star Wars for me. Un-American? So be it. George Lucas can sit on a Whompa for all I care.  

Off to downtown St Louey to pick up my CCW Permit.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:54 pm

First (partial) day with the CCW. Geared up as soon as I got home. A little bit of: Where the hell is that other spare mag..?

The Alien Gear holster is comfortable. I wish I had a waist. I gonna need to get the "fat boy" belts back from Goodwill. I'm really going to need to get some good gun belts in extra chunky. I walked the dogs carrying without any trouble, talked to a few neighbors without anyone getting the vapors. Went Cod-Hopping (Lenten Fish Friday) with the wife, and encountered my first civilian No Gun sign; at a VFW Hall of all places. Went back to the car to store the pistol. No trouble sitting or driving with the gun. Not uncomfortable - but I'm aware of the thing at all times. REALLY happy with the SnagMag carrier.

Now -- were do I put the dang thing overnight?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Saw Star Wars at Hollywood's Mann's Chinese Theater the weekend it opened. First summer my group had drivers licenses. Must have made the 20 mile pilgrimage driving Mom's station wagon five or six times during the summer.

I was a Star Wars geek way before it was cool.

However, I despised films I and II, and didn't bother seeing III. Films IV, V, VI were the real Star Wars for me. Un-American? So be it. George Lucas can sit on a Whompa for all I care.  

Off to downtown St Louey to pick up my CCW Permit.

You're speaking of Episodes IV, V, & VI. Those were the first three films made, IIRC. If so, yes, I agree - those were THE Star Wars flicks.

Takes a while for the weapon to become simply second nature. You will be a bit self-conscious about it for a while.

Isn't it GREAT to finally be living in a state that allows you to defend yourself if need be!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am