About those plastic holsters...

MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

About those plastic holsters...

Post by MrJim on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 pm

I've always used leather holsters, mostly Galco & Bianchi. I had a fellow a couple counties over make a sheath for a knife using Kydex and when I got it I was pretty impressed. Then I bought a CRKT knife and it came with a kydex sheath, and then I bought a kydex sheath for a Ka-Bar...

As stated elsewhere I'm considering a Kahr CM9 for a holster~~currently using a Galco Silhouette for my Model 60 and Galco 3 Slot for my Beretta so I'm used to leather and thumb-breaks...I recall the most recent podcast one of the panel guys didn't recommend thumb-break holsters though I understand ultimately it's up to the individual user.

The kydex listed above for my knives are extremely secure....wondering if any of y'all are using plastic holsters and if you're satisfied with them as far as retention.

Thanks
    Jim
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: About those plastic holsters...

Post by Devereaux on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I bought a couple just to see (don't recollect the brand, but it was a major one). I was not totally thrilled with the retention - too strong. I DID loosen the screw about all the way out, and on the Shield one it seemed to be decent, but the 229 still seems to tug more than I like.

But then, what I actually carry is a Shield in a leather slide-type holster without a thumb break. It goes in and comes out easily so I am not likely to be changing over to kydex, despite all the theoretical advantages. I expect my next holster purchase will be a Mitch Rosen, probably either a PREM or 5JR. Love the burgundy colour.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:05 pm

One of my first concealment holsters was a Sidearmor all kydex IWB holster for a Glock 23. I later graduated on to the hybrid style (leather backing and kydex front) because I found it more comfortable but still gives that solid "click" on the draw.

I've also tried leather holsters, but the problem has been, since I prefer IWB holsters, they eventually lose their shape and get too soft and loose for me.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:45 am

I've never given IWB holsters a fair shot~I've only used the "Uncle Mike" style that is basically a clip and a holster pouch. I have a nice suede one for the Beretta (probably Bianchi) but basically the same idea---and yeah no retention and I "fiddle" with those more than OWBs.

All my OWB holsters I have are designed with exposed trigger guard + thumbreak but it seems the holster folks use that area for retention in more "modern" leather styles and in all the plastic holsters? They must work pretty well but the idea of sending my trigger into a holster makes me a bit nervous. With the Kydex knife sheaths there are obviously no moving parts but that trigger..

I remember looking at Rosen catalogs~always considered them Cadillac of holsters Cool
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 am

IIRC trigger guard retention first came about in the early 90's with IPSC holsters for 1911's. Safariland was the leader in that field, and I think Robbie Leatham was among the first. The holster design went minimalist, with much of the weapon exposed, BUT the trigger guard covered. The retention design was hooked to the front, allowing the weapon to be drawn upward but not forward. It seems most kydex designs kind of take from that, with resistance to pull from the pinch of the front of the trigger guard.

That said, I have to say I don't much mind such a design, but I find the degree of pinch to vary. There is often a screw that holds some tension between the sides, so adjusts the amount of tension on the trigger guard, but I don't find that to work so well. I have a shoulder holster with a similar retention screw, and I STILL had to wrap the weapon and wet the holster to better mold it (something you can't do with the kydex).

Yeah, Rosens are just ... nice. You ought to check out some of the new kydex ones with gel on the inside to better ride on you. I think there are two sites somewhere here in this thread. Don't know if I added them to the holster listing, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 am