However, it is a fascinating mental exercise: What guns would you NEVER own?
- Derringers. I'm allergic to small capacity and shooting myself in the palm
- Cheap Saturday Night Specials. i.e: Jennings, High Point, etc. Life's too short to shoot pot metal guns
- PPK/S. Love the design, the history, the looks, but... It hates me. The slide, it BITES! (Hmm - Maybe not)
Recent vintage Kimber 1911s. Nothing like paying a huge amount for a no longer deserved reputation
- Any Microstamped or “Smart” gun
- Can't think of a fifth. Okay, I can: a .44 AutoMag. A friend, not known as having an excess of common sense despite a Mensa intellect, bought one. It was an abusive relationship. It was a big, gaudy, loud, poorly balanced, hard kicking, hand cannon, with the ergonomics of a Russian trash truck. The ammo was insanely expensive Norma, in limited supply, brass was manufactured from .308 casings, magazines were rare as hens teeth, and it was not particularly accurate. Worse, the damn thing was good for at least one horrendous jam each magazine.
We tried everything to tame the beast. There was no consistent pattern, so it felt like we were chasing 3 or 4 different problems. It seemed to like hotter loads, so he spec'd out handloads that scared me. I finally refused any other assistance, fearing he would end up with the bolt between his beady eyes.
He spent a fortune on AutoMag gunsmiths, to no avail. Frustrated, he offered to sell it to me at a huge discount. I wouldn't touch it.
He moved to Colorado, where he keeps it in his nightstand as his self defense weapon. I'm sure he could beat a home invader to death with it.
Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 7 times in total