Amer4ican Handgunner

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Amer4ican Handgunner

Post by Devereaux on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:09 pm

This could go in a lot of places here, but since I wanted to bring out a specific point.

I believe AH is the best handgun rag out there, bar none. They have beautiful photos, great stories, and lots of different columnists. One can get something from a lot of different places in any given issue.

Still, the coming one seems to be full of revolver stuff. Taffin and Venturo tend to talk about wheelguns a lot more than other stuff, but this issue seems to have just all kinds of good things.

Last issue they had a great article on Steve Chen. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the name, he may be THE greatest 1911 smith. He makes them from scratch, and his tolerances are SO tight you wouldn't believe it. Yet he polishes the parts so well, they ride without issue, even without oil!

Well, for the 1911 crowd this issue has a Terry Tassey gun. He did SIX calibres on the same frame! I believe 9, .38 Super, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP - can't remember the sixth. But all fit the same frame. Next to a Steve Chen gun I would love to have one of these.

I get an advanced copy digitally, so when it hits the print stands, you guys ought to check out buying it and reading all the good stuff.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Amer4ican Handgunner

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Outstanding! I will watch for it. thanks
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:24 am

I once had subscriptions to all manner of car and gun rags. I cancelled them all, except AH. I certainly get American Rifleman, but that's because it's part of life membership. They have some good stuff, but I think AH beats them often.

Money ought to be tight for anyone getting rags. If a publication merits having someone spend his money for, it needs to provide real substance consistently. I think AH manages to do so regularly. At least they get my cash, and I don't pass that out readily.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 am

Just upped for 2 years of Guns 'n' Ammo at 62c per issue. I like what the new editorial staff is doing with G&A.

I'll take a look at AH. Heard good things about SWAT - apparently not as tactifool as the name would suggest. Any other suggestions?
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:57 am

I really like Gun Tests. It's a simple little magazine, with no ads, all subscription driven. They buy every gun they review. I can't say I always agree with the reviews, but at least they are not swayed by sponsor money. Also, a subscription gets you total access to their database of reviews. It's difficult to come up with a gun that they haven't reviewed in the past.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:I really like Gun Tests.  It's a simple little magazine, with no ads, all subscription driven.  They buy every gun they review.  I can't say I always agree with the reviews, but at least they are not swayed by sponsor money.  Also, a subscription gets you total access to their database of reviews.  It's difficult to come up with a gun that they haven't reviewed in the past.

I got Gun Tests way back when they first came out. Paper edition without much of any frills. But I dropped them when I thought several of their "reviews" were biased towards the manufacturer. Can't remember the details, but at the time I thought it was a sell-out.

Many mags will not say anything bad about a weapon they review. Indeed, sometimes if you read you find the way it's written really contorts to make a good review. One thing about AH is that they don't so much review weapons as talk about issues. Taffin generally talks about wheelguns, old calibres, and loads to shoot through them. Venturino talks a lot about old stuff - military vintage often comes up. And then there are the custom guns they highlight - not exactly "manufactured". AND not likely to be mass-bought.

Now, all that said, perhaps Gun Tests may have changed/improved/modified - whatever. I don't know. I haven't looked at it for a long time. Things can change. Or not.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Devereaux wrote:
    Tennessee Jed wrote:I really like Gun Tests.  It's a simple little magazine, with no ads, all subscription driven.  They buy every gun they review.  I can't say I always agree with the reviews, but at least they are not swayed by sponsor money.  Also, a subscription gets you total access to their database of reviews.  It's difficult to come up with a gun that they haven't reviewed in the past.

I got Gun Tests way back when they first came out. Paper edition without much of any frills. But I dropped them when I thought several of their "reviews" were biased towards the manufacturer. Can't remember the details, but at the time I thought it was a sell-out.

Many mags will not say anything bad about a weapon they review. Indeed, sometimes if you read you find the way it's written really contorts to make a good review. One thing about AH is that they don't so much review weapons as talk about issues. Taffin generally talks about wheelguns, old calibres, and loads to shoot through them. Venturino talks a lot about old stuff - military vintage often comes up. And then there are the custom guns they highlight - not exactly "manufactured". AND not likely to be mass-bought.

Now, all that said, perhaps Gun Tests may have changed/improved/modified - whatever. I don't know. I haven't looked at it for a long time. Things can change. Or not.

I bet I still have some Gun Test mags up in the attic somewhere~was a pretty good rag didn't know they were still in business.

Love AH~~I remember an article Roy Huntington did when he was still the holster article guy that was so hilarious I had tears from laughing so hard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am