Range reports..

MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Range reports..

Post by MrJim on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:31 am

A place to talk about range trips Cool

I had acquired a couple long guns in the past 6 months but only got membership to a local range a couple months ago...finally got a break in the weather and took out a new Mossberg 12 ga (500 with smoothbore slug barrel & rifle sights) and a 1918 No.1 Mk III* SMLE. The SMLE had been lightly sporterized~only some wood removed from forend. I did have the smith check for headspace and test fire and all was good there.

While I got the .303 rounds on paper it shot way right...like a foot @ 100 yards. Later research showed me that, while I knew it was a shortcut rifle made during wartime, they decided to dispense with the windage adjustment Evil or Very Mad ~~~makes no sense but as son of Ireland strange ideas from the Brits comes as no surprise.

I wasn't sure what to do with this gun~didn't pay much for it and ammo cost isn't too bad. The stock is way too small for a guy my size, sights are really tiny and will need the $25 upgrade for windage...I think I may make it a restoration project to return it to original and mount it on the wall...love the look of those old SMLEs...loads of surplus parts available.

As for the shotgun~~tried a slug at 50 yds~~first round hit dead center. At 100 yds I was on the paper but low...hadn't fired a shotgun since my Marine Corps days in the early 80's (...and that was a S&W 3000 for you old timers out there). My first "shot" actually didn't go off...when I ejected the shell I saw a very light primer strike~then remembered reading about needing to "vigorously" work the slide and no problems after that. Forearm will need some work~couple of sharp bits of plastic need smoothed. Fired 00 buck at the 50 yd line and I counted 8 or so holes all within the "body" of the silhouette target I was using.

Range is only about 2 miles from my front door and 1/2 mile from where I work-had it all to myself yesterday afternoon. It's an NRA club, they hold "action shoots" and a load of other events but I'm not much into the competitive thing...look forward to getting out there some more with my .44 Marlin.

Where did you shoot today?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Range reports..

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Brilliant topic, James!

I'm building the "Ultimate" Liberty Training Rifle for an Appleseed training class April 18-19. It's based on the Ruger 50th Anniversary Design Winner 10/22 rifle. I mounted the Weaver 1x3 scope yesterday. What I'm most excited about is the Ruger BX trigger group. It has a 2 5/8 pound (measured) trigger pull, with damn little creep or overtravel. I've got another trigger group with Vorquartsen parts and springs - I like it a lot, but not as much as the BX.  

Range trip this weekend - report to follow.

The BX trigger group is now on sale at Midway for $70 'Murican.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:03 pm

I had a chance to take a Mosin Nagant 91/30 out on Saturday and do some "longer" range shooting with it. I've not previously shot the Mosin Nagant rifle beyond 100 yards, but on Saturday a couple friends and I decided to try. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of that old, long barreled battle rifle. At 300 yards, with just open sights we were able to consistently hit a 10" steel plate. Then, right before packing up to leave, I decided to give the ol' rifle a few shots at the 600 yard steel plate (an ipsc torso). I had 4 rounds left in the gun, so I fired the first shot to check elevation and windage. For the second shot, I set the rear sight elevation to 550 meters (which I believe is about 600 yards) and aimed slightly to the right to account for the wind. I hit the steel target and thought that it was mostly luck. The third shot, I hit it again. The fourth shot, I missed only by a few inches (according to the the spotter). I was thoroughly impressed with the accuracy of that old battle rifle with the old mil surp ammo. I'm definitely going to have to try this again.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I had a chance to take a Mosin Nagant 91/30 out on Saturday and do some "longer" range shooting with it.  I've not previously shot the Mosin Nagant rifle beyond 100 yards, but on Saturday a couple friends and I decided to try.  I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of that old, long barreled battle rifle.  At 300 yards, with just open sights we were able to consistently hit a 10" steel plate.  Then, right before packing up to leave, I decided to give the ol' rifle a few shots at the 600 yard steel plate (an ipsc torso).  I had 4 rounds left in the gun, so I fired the first shot to check elevation and windage.  For the second shot, I set the rear sight elevation to 550 meters (which I believe is about 600 yards) and aimed slightly to the right to account for the wind.  I hit the steel target and thought that it was mostly luck.  The third shot, I hit it again.  The fourth shot, I missed only by a few inches (according to the the spotter).  I was thoroughly impressed with the accuracy of that old battle rifle with the old mil surp ammo.  I'm definitely going to have to try this again.

I look forward to shooting a Mosin some day~sounds like you've got a keeper!
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:18 pm

MrJim wrote:A place to talk about range trips Cool

I had acquired a couple long guns in the past 6 months but only got membership to a local range a couple months ago...finally got a break in the weather and took out a new Mossberg 12 ga (500 with smoothbore slug barrel & rifle sights) and a 1918 No.1 Mk III* SMLE.  The SMLE had been lightly sporterized~only some wood removed from forend.  I did have the smith check for headspace and test fire and all was good there.

While I got the .303 rounds on paper it shot way right...like a foot @ 100 yards.  Later research showed me that, while I knew it was a shortcut rifle made during wartime, they decided to dispense with the windage adjustment Evil or Very Mad ~~~makes no sense but as son of Ireland strange ideas from the Brits comes as no surprise.  

I wasn't sure what to do with this gun~didn't pay much for it and ammo cost isn't too bad.  The stock is way too small for a guy my size, sights are really tiny and will need the $25 upgrade for windage...I think I may make it a restoration project to return it to original and mount it on the wall...love the look of those old SMLEs...loads of surplus parts available.

As for the shotgun~~tried a slug at 50 yds~~first round hit dead center.  At 100 yds I was on the paper but low...hadn't fired a shotgun since my Marine Corps days in the early 80's (...and that was a S&W 3000 for you old timers out there).  My first "shot" actually didn't go off...when I ejected the shell I saw a very light primer strike~then remembered reading about needing to "vigorously" work the slide and no problems after that.  Forearm will need some work~couple of sharp bits of plastic need smoothed.  Fired 00 buck at the 50 yd line and I counted 8 or so holes all within the "body" of the silhouette target I was using.

Range is only about 2 miles from my front door and 1/2 mile from where I work-had it all to myself yesterday afternoon.  It's an NRA club, they hold "action shoots" and a load of other events but I'm not much into the competitive thing...look forward to getting out there some more with my .44 Marlin.

Where did you shoot today?

SMLE Note~just discovered the front sight was dovetailed cheers and it sure it tight...but now I have some hope...at the 25yd line I had holes touching...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:45 am

(De)Range(d) Report

Took the "Ultimate" Liberty Training Rifle Ruger to the range Friday. Very pleased.

In short: It's a Ruger 10/22. A very nice, refined 10/22. Well suited for my particular requirements.

The Anniversary stock is well designed, comfortable and useful. The BX trigger group remains a WOW, especially for the price. Although I wasn't able to properly bench rest the rifle, it seems to be a 2-2+ MOA shooter. It's a 10/22 after all.

Like all of my 10/22s, it has a strong preference for 40gn bullets, with Federal AutoMatch and Wolf Target being it's particular favorites. It's unique in it's disdain for CCI Stingers. CCI MiniMags, Federal Bulk, and Win 333 were all OK.

Did experience 4 decidedly odd failures. I'd find a stovepipe with an unfired round in the chamber. All failures occurred within the first 75 rounds of Friday's test - with none in the remaining 300 rounds. A burr on the extractor hook? The extractor and ejector are going to get special attention when I break down the rifle for cleaning.

The Weaver 1x3 scope proved well suited for the 25 meter Appleseed parameters. It was bright even in the dim indoor range. It zeroed quickly and precisely. I could detect no zero drift after 400 or so rounds.

I've got an idea to replace the Ruger birdcage flash hider with a much heavier compensator to possibly damp out vibrations. Free floating the barrel is also a possibility. However... the rifle is certainly able to shoot the Appleseed Challenge, and it's time to put down the checkbook and the tools and start dry firing, practicing and pushing lead down range. ie: Work on the nut behind the trigger.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Magnum Therapy:

Last week was a bear. For me, the best way to forget about a difficult week is to go shoot some big bore revolvers.

Shot a 629 with a favorite 200 grain dual end wadcutter handload. It had been a while since I last shot the 629, but was relieved to see I can still put the shots in a 3 inch circle at 13 yards.

Continued testing a new-to-me handload out of a 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk (using AA5 and 255 grain semi-wadcutters). Keeping those shots within the 3 inch circle was easy as could be.

Then it was time to pick up the pace a bit, and fire as fast as reasonably possible into 7 inch circles at the same distance. The interesting part was that my groups were smaller with the Blackhawk than the 629, and just a microscopic bit slower. I can't decide what that means. Maybe the Blackhawk isn't as backwater hillbilly stupid as a defensive firearm as some think . . . at least for the 1st 6 rounds.

Also spent some more quality time with my Rossi 92 357 mag carbine. Starting to move out of my comfort zone and was shooting at 50 yards offhand. Very happy to see that keeping all the shots in a 6 inch circle wasn't that difficult.

Took my mom with me, and she continues to shoot very well with her skinny barrel S&W Model 10. I love watching my mother, in a decorated mom-type sweatshirt, outshoot the tacti-doooods next to her.

As always, I left the range a new man.

MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Magnum Therapy:

Last week was a bear. For me, the best way to forget about a difficult week is to go shoot some big bore revolvers.

Shot a 629 with a favorite 200 grain dual end wadcutter handload.  It had been a while since I last shot the 629, but was relieved to see I can still put the shots in a 3 inch circle at 13 yards.  

Continued testing a new-to-me handload out of a 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk (using AA5 and 255 grain semi-wadcutters).  Keeping those shots within the 3 inch circle was easy as could be.

Then it was time to pick up the pace a bit, and fire as fast as reasonably possible into 7 inch circles at the same distance.  The interesting part was that my groups were smaller with the Blackhawk than the 629, and just a microscopic bit slower.  I can't decide what that means.  Maybe the Blackhawk isn't as backwater hillbilly stupid as a defensive firearm as some think . . . at least for the 1st 6 rounds.

Also spent some more quality time with my Rossi 92 357 mag carbine.  Starting to move out of my comfort zone and was shooting at 50 yards offhand.  Very happy to see that keeping all the shots in a 6 inch circle wasn't that difficult.

Took my mom with me, and she continues to shoot very well with her skinny barrel S&W Model 10.  I love watching my mother, in a decorated mom-type sweatshirt, outshoot the tacti-doooods next to her.

As always, I left the range a new man.

Cool~~I look forward to taking my .44 Marlin out to the range~fired a few times at a dark indoor range last year and ready to see what it can do out to 100.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Magnum Therapy:

On Saturday, I took a group of people shooting. We mostly shot rifles, but I also brought a few magnums. I brought the 500 mag, 44 mag, and 357 mag. Something about shooting magnums--it sure does get rid of stress. I had a chance to do some long range .223 shooting--which was really fun. I definitely need to tweak some of my loads.
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 am

Yesterday was .44 day at the range. I took the Marlin leever and the .44 Special bulldog out...the rifle fired fine...but the stock sights just aren't going to get it done...I couldnt make out the front sight against the target 100 yds...everything solid at 50, the 180 gr more accurate than the 240 gr but gotta do something about the sights...read a nice article earlier about different sight options, sort of like the forward ghost ring/fire sight set up though more traditional set up with fire sights seemed ok too...or maybe just put an aimpoint sort of thing on or a low power scope...

Also, when I put .44 Special through that gun it was like a .22 or something...didn't have many rounds and wanted to put the revolver through the paces but that was very interesting...

Well the revolver fired very well...I used to own a genuine Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog from the 70s but that was sold long ago (mid 80s)...when I got back into shooting again I wanted another so I went out and bought one...but see Charter Arms didn't exist anymore..been "redone" and called "Charco"...yeah turned out to be kind of a junky gun (bought early/mid 90s). I never fired it much, the cylinder/crane wouldn't release well, sort of bind up, release latch fell apart, etc. etc.

So I took it in to a local old-timer gunsmith and had him work on it~he owned a couple of the old ones and when I got it back he declared it was safe to shoot and not really a bad gun at all, just needed some TLC. That would have been mid 2000 or so and since then I maybe fired it once but never really trusted it. So now maybe 10 years later I take out to the range and put 30 or so rounds through it and yeah the DA trigger pull is heavy for what it is designed for works fine. The only malf was ammo related...I bought some reloads at a gunshow beaucoup years ago and one of the bullets unseated and locked up the cylinder a little but I was able to open easily enough.

So overall I was happy with what I thought would be a disappointment and disappointed with what I thought I would be happy with.

Just another morning at the range....I've shot more in the last 5 weeks than the last 5 years...but always walking away from the experience thinking about how to improve things which means $$..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 am