Round balls!

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Round balls!

Post by Cornmastah on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Got an idea in my head and can't get it out--so I'm probably going to just do it. I want to load some round balls in both 300 blk as well as 30-30. I am thinking I can probably do 2 in the neck of the 30-30 and 1 in the 300 blk. I know they used to have load data in old loading manuals for "multiball" loads, but they don't have it in any modern manuals that I know of. I think I'm going to see if I can dig up the old load data for the 30-30, and find what I can on the interwebs for 300 blk. I'm thinking that 300 blk shouldn't be too difficult with a small load of Red-Dot, Unique, or Bullseye, or similar fast burning pistol powder. This might make a really cool little squirrel load or something similar. In a single shot 300 blk with a suppressor, I'm thinking "mouse fart" load. Anybody done this before?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Round balls!

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:38 am

I would think they don't seal well, and they won't spin well, so accuracy will be ick.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

I would think that as long as the diameter of the ball is large enough, you can get them to seal good enough.  Accuracy wise, I have "heard" that single balls are decently accurate as long as you don't push them too fast--double and triple ball loads lose accuracy fast after about 25 yards...

round balls in 300 blk
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 am

Interesting link.

I get the sense this whole round ball things is, well, just because one can (mebbe). Note the Civil War saw the introduction of the miniball as a significant improvement to the old round ball. ?Why do you think going back to RB would be good - other than your ability to do it.

Not trying to rain on you "fun quotient" parade. I would personally spend more time with other load development. But I'm an old and lazy guy.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:14 am

You would be correct in the "because one can" reason. I guess it would make more sense for someone who doesn't cast bullets to use round balls as a cheap plinker. I just read about it and thought it would be cool to mess around with.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 pm

What the heck? Why not? There's something so backwards about taking a super modern caliber like the 300 Blk and making it shoot roundballs, it makes weird sense.

I know a guy at my range who casts lightweight bullets for a 30-30 and loads them with Unique for a squirrel load . . . just for the heck of it. He seems to have a lot of fun with that, I'm sure shooting round balls from a 300 Blk is just as fun.

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:15 am

This is an interesting read on some experimentation with round balls in the 30-30. From the excellent Junior Doughty (vale) site "frugal outdoorsman"
    http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

I just use the little Lee TL-314-90-SWC over 7.0grains Trail Boss.

There is also this long thread on marlinowners:
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/31201-lighter-bullets-30-30-a-23.html

There is a summary pdf at reply #230
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/attachments/reloading/3503d1320865438-lighter-bullets-30-30-30-30-light-cast-pt-1.pdf
    or try this:
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:20 am

I think I am going to put this project on hold for now, and going to work on a few different loading projects first.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:46 pm

I loaded up some 30 cal round balls for the 300 blk.  I still need to chrono them, but they are super super quiet when shot through a suppressor.  Looks like it would be a perfect squirrel load--but need to do some accuracy tests to see what distance they are good to.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Very nice, Corn. ?How hard to get seated in the case. ?Tendency to fall out. ?Recoil effect or not enough powder to produce much recoil.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Dev, I shoot them in a single shot pistol and a single shot rifle.  Not enough power/powder to cycle a semi for sure.  For seating, I have to flare the case mouth prior to seating it--ideally, I should use a fired, unsized case and thumb seat them, but I have too many guns in 300 blk to keep it separated by gun.  Then I give it a little kiss of a crimp to iron out the flare.  They don't fall out.  Recoil wise, it is about like a bb gun or a toy cap gun.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:58 pm

?Do you have only one powder for 300BLK or do you use different ones depending on speed and bullet weight.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:19 pm

I use various:

bullseye: round balls
    unique: various bullet weights, bolt action or single shot only (usually for quiet subsonic)
    trailboss: various bullet weights (usually lighter the better for trailboss in this cartridge), bolt action or single shot only (one of my quietest loads is with TB)
    4227: various bullet weights, will cycle action of AR
    h110: Supersonic loads with 160 gr and lower, will cycle action of AR (some people use this for subs, but 1680 and 4227 have worked better for me)
    lilgun: Supersonic loads with 160 gr and lower, will cycle action of AR
    A1680: heavy bullet subs & some heavy supers, will cycle action of AR

I know some people might use the listed powders for multiple purposes, but as listed above is how I primarily use them.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 pm

I count seven different powders, just for .300BLK. ?How many different powders do you have. I generally try to keep things a simple, so few, as possible. It also allows me to buy 8# containers and not need a separate shed to store all of them.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Different powders for different calibers and loads...  I used to try to consolidate my powders, but when powders became scarce, I experimented with several and found that I really like how certain ones work for specific purposes.  So now I have several loads developed for several calibers and powders.  People at the gunshop call me a caliber collector--I load and shoot many many calibers. 2 gr bullseye is all I'm using for the round balls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am