Evaluating Suppressors

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Evaluating Suppressors

Post by Devereaux on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Seems Corn is the only one who actually OWNS a suppressor. Here in Illinois there is suppose to be a bill making its way through the legislature legalizing them. Rauner has said he will sign it.

So the question becomes what is the most reliable source of evaluation data. I recently got an e-mail dealy about Sig suppressors. Of course, they are suppose to be the best. Corn has mentioned a different brand, and I have heard that Silenceo will get your NFA trust set up for you if you buy one from them.

Then there was an article in some throw-away something or other that the ones that work best are "wet". That is, they have gel in the proximal part. But what do I know.

So give us sources for reading up on these puppies. I am hoping to be in the market for one - real soon now.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Evaluating Suppressors

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:01 pm

What caliber, Dev?  What type firearm? What mission? .300BLK SBR for HD?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:13 pm

I don't really HAVE a specific calibre in mind. I wouldn't mind suppressing either my 5.56's of the .300 BLK. I have one .22 barrel that is threaded, on a Sig adapter kit for a 226. That would be kind of awesome too. .45's are naturals for suppressors as they are generally subsonic, even in many of the +P loads.

I'm just looking ahead for the possibility that I may be able to get one (or more) of those puppies. I know Corn liked one particular brand, and it was multi-calibre IIRC. But there must be somewhere that one can read about these items with (hopefully) some reliability.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 pm

A lot of your answers can probably be found here: silencertalk forums
    You can read reviews, customer support experiences, etc...

As far as running suppressors wet or dry, you get better sound suppression when you put gel or water in the suppressor--but it can get quite messy. Some guns spit stuff back towards you when shooting suppressed (like AR's), so I tend to shoot all of mine dry.

When deciding on what suppressor to buy, you need to decide what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get as close to hollywood quiet as you can? Or maybe to take the edge off of a hunting rifle? Or maybe you just want to shoot without hearing protection? Or maybe just to have one because you can?

Certain calibers are just better than others for suppression--300 blk is great, .22 is great, 45acp is great, 9mm is great with the right ammo, etc... .38's can be super quiet too when shot in a long gun. 5.56/223 is still loud, same with 7.62x39, but a suppressor takes a big bite out of the noise. Anyways, I am getting excited to get that Liberty Mystic X--that one would make a great, versatile 1st or 2nd suppressor.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks Corn for the steer. Will have to look there.

Otis2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by Otis2 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:25 am

I'll share what little I've gathered to date.  My suppressors are both by AAC, an EVO-9 and their 762-SD (http://www.advanced-armament.com/762-SD_p_649.html).  What attracted me to the 762-SD is the Quick Release mounting system they devised.  Install their flash hider on your barrel and the suppressor will easily ratchet on and off the barrel.  I have the flash hider on my 10/22 Takedown, the M&P 15-22 and my AR pistol chambered in 5.56.  I will be adding a 300 BLK upper in the near future to the pistol, a flash hider will go there, as well.  ADCO Firearms of suburban Toledo is my local go-to Class III dealer.  He cuts and threads barrels to accept various flash hiders and suppressors as part of his regular business.  He has customers all around the country, quite a solid reputation he has built up, I highly recommend him.

I run my suppressors dry, as corn mentioned, wet gets messy.  Many fret about cleaning the suppressors, there are even businesses that will "jail break" your suppressor, making it possible to take apart to clean easily.  I discussed this issue with my Class III dealer, he asked my how often I clean the muffler on my vehicles.  'Nuff said.

Shooting suppressed subsonic 22lr ammo is very quiet, all you hear is the action of the firearm working.  5.56/.223 is not too quite when running hypersonic ammo, you still get the sonic crack.  The key really is running subsonic ammo.  In 9mm, all the 147 gr ammo is subsonic, no problem there, but you do want to test your ammo in the gun with the suppressor attached if you are using it for defense.  I've found a couple of loads that won't run in my G19 suppressed as the OAL of the cartridge is a bit too short and the added weight of the suppressor on the front of the barrel causes the barrel to tilt excessively, preventing the round from chambering and the slide going in to battery.  I haven't run across that issue, however, with the CZ Scorpion EVO-1, an entirely different chambering method.

One point well worth keeping in mind prior to signing up for the Class III festivities, once you have possession of these items and have done the paperwork, you have given the BATFE tacit approval to come into your home to inspect your possessions and that they are properly stored.  My intent with the EVO-9 was to keep it mounted permanently on the CZ Scorpion for use as my bedside home defense gun.  I have yet to implement this plan as I am not yet comfortable with the possible ramifications, should I be subject to a surprise BATFE search.  I need to sit down with the firearms attorney I deal with to discuss this in depth.  I may be forced to purchase and install one of the slimline wall safes that will hold a rifle or two with quick access.  These mount flush with the drywall and go between the studs, may be a good option to install in the closet.  Don't yet know for certain.

Suppressors are an absolute hoot, not needing to wear ear pro brings a new element of discovery to the shooting sports.  I shoot primarily at an outdoor range, being able to hear the action of the gun and the subsequent hit of the bullet in the berm is a bit different.  These sounds are normally concealed by the report of the gun firing.  Good luck on your quest!
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 pm

I went rabbit hunting this morning. It was really nice to be able to go out and be able to talk and shoot while hunting them critters. No ear ringing or anything after shooting.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 am

?What did you shoot them with.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:49 am

The S&W 15-22 .22 LR AR-15's.