Podcast 153/Melody

    Share
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 pm

    I just finished listening to this one~have to say every thought I had on a topic Miss Melody would then bring up~~really appreciate her input whether it was shotguns for "truck guns" or all the extra things to think about if one wants to be the "hero" in a terrorist/man with a gun ~ sorts of scenario....she makes me want to take more medical training than firearm training....alway appreciate her input! cheers
    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:05 pm

    So, what would some scenarios be where a truck gun would be useful?
    avatar
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm

    Social disruption - natural disaster - man-made disaster.  Low order probabilities, yes; but tucking a beater into the trunk is low cost insurance. And I've rather have it, and not need it, than...

    I'd go with a carbine - stopping power of a shotty - but with the advantage of range.  

    I'm trying to put a multiple buy of Hi-Point carbines (I said beater) together for the neighborhoods. I'd really like a KelTec sub2000 II with Glock 9mm Happy Sticks - but I'm beginning to think KelTec only makes a single example of each of their guns - for their brochures.
    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:25 pm

    All of my farmer in-laws keep loaded shotguns or 17's in their trucks for varmint/pest control (skunks, birds, coyotes, etc...)  Coyotes frequently come and snack on dogs & cats in their part of the country.  Farms attract all kinds of wildlife--including big frogs and things that eat big frogs.

    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm

    I also keep a firearm in my truck and one on my body when I take the family camping. One of my buddies was camping in bear country and had a little scare. He was glad he had his 500 mag in the tent with him. He didn't end up having to use it, but he said it was worth its weight in gold that night.
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:17 pm

    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Social disruption - natural disaster - man-made disaster.  Low order probabilities, yes; but tucking a beater into the trunk is low cost insurance. And I've rather have it, and not need it, than...

    I'd go with a carbine - stopping power of a shotty - but with the advantage of range.  

    I'm trying to put a multiple buy of Hi-Point carbines (I said beater) together for the neighborhoods. I'd really like a KelTec sub2000 II with Glock 9mm Happy Sticks - but I'm beginning to think KelTec only makes a single example of each of their guns - for their brochures.  

    Yeah I'm more toward the shotgun end...if the "problem" is out of range of a slug it means I can get away instead of "engage"...seems more versatile...in my small city setting "range" isn't really much of an issue...advantage of a "truck/car gun" to me has to do more with not being able to "carry" at work so any weapon is locked up in the car...and if something is going to be locked up in the car/truck it might as well be a long gun...my only other long gun I own than the Mossberg is my vintage 1971 Marlin Leever in .44 Mag and that ain't living in the trunk..(oh I have an old sporterized Enfield that wouldn't work well either~~I've own 2 ARs since leaving USMC 30 years ago...thinking about snagging one again?)...Mossy 500 is basically a "throw-away" so don't care too much of it having a "hard life" in a hot/cold truck of the car...and I only live 2 miles from my workplace. Different situations will call for different tools...
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:44 pm

    I liked that podcast myself.

    I twice had a situation where I wish I would've had a long gun in the car.

    First time, lack of situational awareness got me stuck trying to get out of a parking garage at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta on the day of the Rodney King riots.  I couldn't move due to everyone else trying to get out, listening to radio reports of where the mob was and where it was heading (just a couple of blocks from my location).  I bought a Remington 870 with 20 inch barrel the next day.

    Later in life, while stopped at a red light during lunch hour in an office park, cop cars suddenly swarmed behind and around me like buzzing bees.  One stopped and told me not to move, that a bank robbery was in progress 100 yards away and a man with an AR was shooting his way through traffic.  Unfortunately, my 870 was at home at the time.  All I could do was sit and watch while cops with drawn guns about 100 yards away chased an AR-wielding robber and fortunately shoot him down in the street.  Would have been much more comforting to have had access to a long gun in case the chase started in my direction (which, fortunately, it did not).

    Now that I'm older and wiser, my vehicle usually has this in a non-gun-looking case:

    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:06 am

    TJ, I like that setup. Looks very effective and does not scream "bad guy."
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:23 am

    Thanks Corn. Yeah, that's what I was going for with it.
    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:32 pm

    Got spare batteries in there somewhere?
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:35 pm

    Of course.  Spares plus a few tuff-strips with 357 mag 158 grain jhps in that nifty-do butt-cuff.  

    If has a cool little pocket for such things.  Too bad it doesn't also have a tacticool kydex cup-holder.  I need some place to set my beer during the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it.
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:31 pm

    Is that a "JM" marked Marlin?
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1258
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 pm

    Unfortunately I don't have a truck, and my car doesn't really tolerate a rifle or shotgun much of anywhere that I could get to in anything less than like a year.
    avatar
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:43 pm

    MrJim wrote:
    Yeah I'm more toward the shotgun end...if the "problem" is out of range of a slug it means I can get away instead of "engage"...seems more versatile...in my small city setting "range" isn't really much of an issue...advantage of a "truck/car gun" to me has to do more with not being able to "carry" at work so any weapon is locked up in the car...and if something is going to be locked up in the car/truck it might as well be a long gun...my only other long gun I own than the Mossberg is my vintage 1971 Marlin Leever in .44 Mag and that ain't living in the trunk..(oh I have an old sporterized Enfield that wouldn't work well either~~I've own 2 ARs since leaving USMC 30 years ago...thinking about snagging one again?)...Mossy 500 is basically a "throw-away" so don't care too much of it having a "hard life" in a hot/cold truck of the car...and I only live 2 miles from my workplace.  Different situations will call for different tools...

    Got rifle sights on the Mossy? I've tried the bead sight with slugs at 100 yards - and spent a Saturday beating up my shoulder and the berm. Need to try a splattergun with rifle sights.

    Thought about the SKS as a trunk gun? They're still (relatively) inexpensive, compact, relatively accurate, usually come prebeaten-up, and with stripper clips - relatively effective. Plus, they've got wood stocks, so it might not trip Officer Friendly's safeties.
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1258
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Devereaux on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:57 pm

    12 GA with slugs are nasty unless you are shooting an autoloader. They beat the stuffing out of your shoulder. I once hunted with one. Only shot 5 rounds to sight it in and that was way more than I was happy with. Sort of glad I didn't see any deer, else I would have had to shoot it with that monster. Nowadays I have a Remy 1100 with a Hastings rifled barrel - SO much better!
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 am

    Jim, it is not a Marlin. It is a Rossi 92.
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:47 pm

    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:

    Got rifle sights on the Mossy? I've tried the bead sight with slugs at 100 yards - and spent a Saturday beating up my shoulder and the berm. Need to try a splattergun with rifle sights.

    Yes I bought a separate barrel with rifle sights..still smoothbore...first shot at 50 yds punched the center of the target...I've never used the 18" beaded-sight barrel...
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:47 pm

    Tennessee Jed wrote:Jim, it is not a Marlin.  It is a Rossi 92.

    Cool ...and they're hard to find around here too...
    avatar
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1014
    Join date : 2014-04-07
    Location : Utah

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Cornmastah on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:46 pm

    I wonder if a coach gun with a side saddle would work well for this.
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:06 pm

    Oh my . . . now I'm getting all a flutter at that potential.

    Years ago, I bought a Stoeger coach gun for a very unique purpose. It easily broke down into 3 components that fit quite nicely in a small camera tripod bag. That tripod bag was easily and non-conspicuously carried into hotel rooms where I was staying and quickly assembled for what I considered to be an ultimate hotel defense gun, with high brass bird shot to avoid over penetration issues. Loved that set up. However, I don't stay in as many hotels as I used to.

    I think the coach gun has a very serious potential as a truck gun. Add a bag full of shotgun shells or a bandoleer, and with just a modicum of loading/unloading skill, I think you could fend off a whole slew of bad guys for quite a long time period.
    avatar
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

    Posts : 128
    Join date : 2015-02-19
    Location : Pennsylvania

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by MrJim on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:51 pm

    Tennessee Jed wrote:Oh my . . . now I'm getting all a flutter at that potential.

    Years ago, I bought a Stoeger coach gun for a very unique purpose.  It easily broke down into 3 components that fit quite nicely in a small camera tripod bag.  That tripod bag was easily and non-conspicuously carried into hotel rooms where I was staying and quickly assembled for what I considered to be an ultimate hotel defense gun, with high brass bird shot to avoid over penetration issues.  Loved that set up.  However, I don't stay in as many hotels as I used to.

    I think the coach gun has a very serious potential as a truck gun.  Add a bag full of shotgun shells or a bandoleer, and with just a modicum of loading/unloading skill, I think you could fend off a whole slew of bad guys for quite a long time period.

    bounce love it!
    avatar
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2014-03-05

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 am

    +1 for the Stoeger.

    My wife shoots one in Cowboy Action. You should know that they improve remarkably with just a little gunsmith attention. Her splattergun now falls open and locks up tighter than a drum. The chambers were honed to ease extraction. We also installed a recoil reducer in the buttstock to help with the second barrel shots.  A cowboy gunsmith can slick them right up.

    Take a look on YouTube at how the top Cowboys use their SxS. They can run them eye-wateringly fast.

    TJ, really like your thoughts on hotel security.
    avatar
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

    Posts : 1258
    Join date : 2014-02-28
    Location : Greater Chicago

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Devereaux on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:26 pm

    TJ - only problem with your hotel defense from my POV is that I fly pretty much everywhere. It would mean another bag, AND I would still have to check it in with the airlines, so it has to be in a hard case, locked.

    Now if you only drive ....
    avatar
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

    Posts : 742
    Join date : 2014-02-27
    Location : Music City USA

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:27 pm

    Yeah, if my destination is within an 8 hour drive, I'll always drive.

    I might also extend that criteria out to 12 hours.

    I hate flying.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Podcast 153/Melody

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 pm