Experimenting with Ride Height with IWB Holsters

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Experimenting with Ride Height with IWB Holsters

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I've been on a kick lately to see what I can conceal. I am on a personal crusade to prove to myself that it is possible to carry any full size gun you want, as long as you're willing to dress a little around the gun. I usually carry a GP100 IWB, but that's easy. My GP100 has a Ruger "compact" grip, and when worn with a good IWB holster and an untucked shirt or cover garment, there is no way you can make it print. So I'm moving onward to see what else I can conceal with no printing.

Revolvers are easy if you get a good round grip for it (e.g., Pachmayr Compac, etc.). So I'm trying out some semi-autos.

The big issue I have with carrying semi-autos (other than the fact that wheelguns are just superior firearms in superior calibers) is hiding that big blocky grip.

In experimenting with a Theis IWB holster, I've realized that if I adjust the ride height so the gun sits lower in the pants, I can make a Glock 19 ALMOST unprintable. With the grip sitting closer to the belt, any inadvertent printing really does look like maybe a cell phone or something less onerous than a gun. If the gun sits higher on the belt, then a rectagonal angle couldn't be mistaken for something else, it's too high up to be anything BUT a gun.

I'm going to start adjusting the ride height on my other IWB holsters, getting the grip as low to the belt as I can, while still being able to get a reasonable firing grip as I begin the draw for the holster.

Next step will be the Colt 1911 Govt. That is a long grip, compared to the G19, but thinner. My holster for the 1911 is a Galco King Tuk, and unfortunately, it's not as adjustable as the Theis holster. I can't get the gun to sit low enough. Think Santa will have to bring me yet another Theis IWB for Christmas this year.

Once I've (hopefully) gotten to a place of non-printing with the 1911, then the ultimate challenge will be the Glock 20 10mm. If I can carry that beast concealed with little or no printing, and without having to wear something like a sweater, sweatshirt or vest to hide it, then I will have succeeded. I'll let you all know about my progress.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Experimenting with Ride Height with IWB Holsters

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Gun design has an awful lot to do with concealment.

Screwing around at Yea Olde Gun Shoppe one slow day, we found that a full-sized SIG 1911 with the rounded butt conceals very well - but a similar sized Springfield with the sharp lower butt printed despite just about every care.

I've been told the gun should be carried high enough above the belt to ensure a good drawing grip - but no higher. That's how I carry my Glock.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 pm

That's one thing I've noticed, the shape of the butt makes a big difference (but remember, we're talking about guns here).

I've been successful with hiding the 1911 well with a Theis IWB holster. It almost never prints. If I had one of those Ed Brown round-butt 1911's (like that Sig), I'm positive it would never print.

I've started taking notice of the grip shape of semi-autos during this time. It's surprising how many have sharp 90 degree angles on their grips, when the gun is intended for concealment. So far, the only striker semi auto I can find with a reasonably rounded grip is the Walther P99.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:17 pm

However, in this pursuit, I have had the chance to play with a Glock 26 with an IWB holster. The difference in printing between a 26 (even WITH one of those extended thingy's on the mag) and a 19 is remarkable. The 19 conceals pretty well most of the time, but the 26 always conceals well, as long as you've got an untucked shirt. Bending, twisting, etc., I couldn't make it print at all. It hides as well as my S&W round-butt 65.

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:40 am

I've been enjoying carrying with an outside the waistband holster this winter. It has been a lot more comfy. I am not looking forward to going back to IWB. Sad
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 pm

I used to feel the same way. But then I started buying all my pants a size too big to accommodate an IWB holster, which made it enormously more comfortable. Now if I'm not wearing a holster I need to really cinch up my belt to keep my pants from falling.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am