Winter... now what?

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Winter... now what?

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 am

Just curious what all you other shooters are doing now that winter is here and it is cold outside. Are you shooting more indoors? Are you just doing more reloading? Are you still shooting outside? Does the cold affect your shooting?

As for me, I usually still go shooting outdoors and in the snow during the winter months, but lately I have mostly been spending my free time loading ammo.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Winter... now what?

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 pm

This'll be my first full winter where this thing called snow falls to the ground. Although, it's been rather temperate here in St Looney for December - just like SoKal.

I plan to continue shooting outdoors - I'm mainly a rifleman, and there are damn few 100 yard indoor ranges. And, since I might be called on to shoot in this rumored inclement weather - I need to get out in it.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:23 pm

It won't keep me from the outdoor range.  

Also, cold weather tends to keep away the groups of large families who go to the range once a year, pulling up in primered El Camino's and helping their morbidly fat mommas out of the car with Marlboro's dangling from their lips while clutching bags of Doritos, while their uncles with "Git-R-Done" t-shirts who don't own or bring any guns wander around criticizing everyone else's choice of firearm, their jailbait daughters yell at each other because one made eyes at the other's "man", and their redneck sons blast away into the ground 5 feet in front of them with SKS's and Taurus 9mms impressed with how quickly they can repeatedly jerk the trigger.  

Whew.  I feel better now.  But yeah, I still go shooting outside when it's cold.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:...pulling up in primered El Camino's and helping their morbidly fat mommas out of the car with Marlboro's dangling from their lips while clutching bags of Doritos, while their uncles with "Git-R-Done" t-shirts who don't own or bring any guns wander around criticizing everyone else's choice of firearm, their jailbait daughters yell at each other because one made eyes at the other's "man", and their redneck sons blast away into the ground 5 feet in front of them with SKS's and Taurus 9mms impressed with how quickly they can repeatedly jerk the trigger...

Ha ha, that is quite the image you created.  I tend to agree though, that the cold weather limits the numbers of shooters who go out--making it less busy for the die hards.  I haven't been shooting since Thanksgiving weekend, but I have been busy loading up ammo for the next time I go out.

We also haven't gotten much snow yet this year, which is nice when trying to keep the guns dry.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Around here we are still waiting for the first freeze. Highs lately have been in the high 60's, which has been freaking great. I really depend on trips to the shooting range to be my stress-relief for the week and it is so much the better when the weather is nice out.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:53 am

Cornmastah wrote:
    Tennessee Jed wrote:...pulling up in primered El Camino's and helping their morbidly fat mommas out of the car with Marlboro's dangling from their lips while clutching bags of Doritos, while their uncles with "Git-R-Done" t-shirts who don't own or bring any guns wander around criticizing everyone else's choice of firearm, their jailbait daughters yell at each other because one made eyes at the other's "man", and their redneck sons blast away into the ground 5 feet in front of them with SKS's and Taurus 9mms impressed with how quickly they can repeatedly jerk the trigger...

Ha ha, that is quite the image you created.  I tend to agree though, that the cold weather limits the numbers of shooters who go out--making it less busy for the die hards.  I haven't been shooting since Thanksgiving weekend, but I have been busy loading up ammo for the next time I go out.

We also haven't gotten much snow yet this year, which is nice when trying to keep the guns dry.

Heh, heh! TJ got a way with words. I can just picture the Dago-T's with the various prints on them.

We have had snow, ice, freezing, thawing, rain, warm - pick something and we have had it in the last 2 weeks. We got about 5" of snow and 5 days later it was mid-50's.

Me, I'm mostly an indoor shooter. The range I tend to go to has a 50 yd rifle side, and 25 yd pistol, so I might take the AR's for a little fun. Every time I shoot one I think about how much it must piss off Diane Finestein.

Been cleaning brass, but no reloading yet. I have the .357 dies in the head but haven't finished setting that up. I also have .300 BLK dies and head but haven't even tried to set that up. But my clean brass boxes are slowly filling. Sometimes I kind of wish I had Corn's set-up. I have enough brass to justify it but am not sure I want to go through all the drying part.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Devereaux wrote:Sometimes I kind of wish I had Corn's set-up. I have enough brass to justify it but am not sure I want to go through all the drying part.

The drying part is the fast and easy part for me here in the desert... The cold dry air here seems to suck the moisture out of everything--even the skin.

One of my current projects is to get everything set up and running in order to shoot my "new-to-me" Steyr M95 carbine. That 8x56r round is just an odd one--perfect candidate for shooting cast bullets. I almost have everything ready, but still need to get a good way to size the bullets to match my bore.

I also took advantage of the Magpul foliage green closeout sale and have been playing barbie with my AR's.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:19 pm

That dryness can be a blessing or curse. Spend some time outside and you find you can dehydrate pretty quickly. Still, it's better than mold.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:43 am