Are you changing your CCW gun now that summer is approaching?

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Are you changing your CCW gun now that summer is approaching?

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am

Weather is getting warmer here very quickly. For a while I was on a Glock binge, mostly driven by a training class I attended. At that class I didn't want to have to deal with reloading a lot, wanted to take a gun that I knew wouldn't jam after a few hundred rounds without cleaning, and wanted to fit in the rest of the crowd, so I took a Glock 19.

The 19 worked wonderfully, and since I'd just trained wit it, I decided to stick with the platform for carry for a while. I would carry my big Glock 20 10mm when I could, and the Glock 19 9mm when discretion required something less obtrusive. My new motto became, 10mm when I can, 9mm when I have to.

However, now that summer clothes are becoming the order of the day, I've rotated back to my beloved wheelguns. There is no getting around the fact that, at least for me, when discretion is necessary, nothing hides better than a nice round revolver grip in an IWB holster. I almost always use hybrid type holsters that are adjustable, and I set the holsters so the gun sits as low as possible in the beltline, which further prevents any printing. Moving the holster as far forward as possible (like around 2:00) further reduces any visible bulges or printing.

Since I'm carrying wheelguns more now, I've been shooting screaming 357 mag 125 grain jhp's again, and it feels good. Nothing like that punchy recoil and warm wave of muzzle blast and sound concussion, to highlight that a ballistically significant event has just occurred.

How about you guys? Are you making any changes with warmer weather coming on?
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Are you changing your CCW gun now that summer is approaching?

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Yup. I've adopted the POGO (Pants On - Guns On) philosophy, so the coming sweltering season in St Loo means I need a smaller gun. Picked up a G43 for a good price. It'll go into an IWB at 4:30 under my lighter shirts or even holstered in the cargo pocket of my ratty summer-time shorts.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue May 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm going to need to do something different, but I am still undecided on what I will do. The g19 fully loaded gets a little heavy and bulky with the shorts.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:16 pm

I keep the same basic set of carry guns - Sig 228/229, Shield, and Walther PPK. The first if I feel like carrying the weight, the last when pocket carry is about all one can see.

As an aside, I've had a hard time finding this forum again. Seems most places I work these days won't allow me to get on, and work seems all I do lately.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:47 am

Comfort vs Comforting...

Summer is more than halfway over, and I find myself still carrying my g19 most of the time. With all the weird crap that has been happening across our country, those 15 rounds in my g19 are very comforting to me. Plus, I shoot that gun a bunch and am very confident in my ability to use it. The LCP, not quite so much--but I usually throw that in the pocket when I am not going to carry anything.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Cornmastah wrote:Comfort vs Comforting...

....  The LCP, not quite so much--but I usually throw that in the pocket when I am not going to carry anything.

See, THIS is the essence of being armed. To carry when you DON'T think anything is likely to happen.

Don't know about Utah, but where I live the odds of a violent episode is extremely small. Yet I carry something because it isn't ZERO. So I'll often just drop a PPK in my pocket as that's about the smallest shootable weapon I own.

Revolvers don't usually malfunction. But magazines do. So I hope all of you who carry an auto also carry at least one extra mag. Not so much for the extra bullets, although that's nice too, but because you can have a magazine malfxn.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah, the events of late have got me re-visiting this again as well.

As much as I love my wheelguns, at least for a while, I'm feeling compelled to have more ammo on board. Too many weird things are happening too often for me to rely on the notion of 6 in the GP100 plus 5 in a j-frame in the pocket.

In my pursuit of how-much-can-I-conceal, I've moved the hybrid holsters even more towards the front. Instead of 2:00, I've learned that if I move it forward just a tiny bit more forward, I can easily conceal the Glock 19 with no printing at all, and can even carry the Glock 20 there with just a little printing.

So I'm back with the Glocks. I'm comfortable with the choice for now, although I miss my wheelguns, but with some practice at the range I've gotten to the point where I can put a lot of lead into small multiple targets at distance pretty darn quickly with the Glocks.

And I've also realized that I have zero feeding issues with the G19. With the right load and +10% magazines, I also have zero feeding issues with the G20.

Although I am seriously considering switching the G20 from 10mm to 40 S&W via a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. That gun is a total pussycat with shooting 40's and 100% reliable. It's like shooting 38 specials out of a 357 magnum. Not to mention, 40 S&W brass is EXTREMELY available, and with the Lone Wolf barrel I can shoot cast bullets for just a fraction more cost than 9mm.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm

TJ - look for a .357 Sig barrel instead of a .40 S&W. The .40 seems to be going out of fashion; cops are more and more switching to either normal 9mm (often in +P+) or the 9mm Mag as I call it - the .357 Sig. I personally really like the round. No difference in springs, mags, etc.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:01 pm

That's a good idea.

If I recall correctly, a while ago you were looking into handloading the 357 Sig. Did you ever get into it?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Got the stuff but haven't gotten to setting it up. Too lazy it seems. I am running all over the country to work and it seems to be draining me. But I ordered some stuff from Dillon and will be doing some reloading shortly.

I did buy the bullets Otis recommended, and I have dies and a tool head. Just the mechanics I guess.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 pm

I regularly test and rotate my carry mags--just to make sure they work. Although I do agree that an extra mag on body would be nice.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I think flat spring technology is better than the old stuff. Trouble is, it's hard to find. I know Wilson makes them for 1911's & Beretta's, but I don't really know of any other sources. I would be tempted to replace ALL my mag springs with flat springs if I knew where to find them.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:03 pm

For what it's worth I am impressed with the Wolff +10% springs on my Glock 20 mags. I couldn't get the mags to work right, even brand new mags, with some higher power ammo I was shooting. But the extra power springs made all the difference.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:52 pm

?Any problem fully loading the mag. I keep having this issue with the Shield - with a fully loaded mag it won't properly catch in the well. That's not much of an issue if you run the gun dry, but a combat reload isn't going to be easy. You have to consciously push the mag in.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:12 pm

You still to give it that little extra push to get it in, but it's no more than usual.

Not to change the subject too much, but are you guys following this coup in Turkey? Wild that it's happening live on CNN right now. I understand that the military is taking over because the president and his party are too muslim and straying too far from their constitution and secular law. Regardless, ANY coup always sends chills down my spine.

Going hi-cap with my current carry guns seems more and more like a really good idea, and an increasingly good idea on an hour by hour basis.

Can you imagine, if the military loses and the Turkish govt. has a renewed strength and thinks the US supported the military, how much that increases odds of terrorist attacks here?
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 pm

The Turkish fight seems to be far from a done deal. AND there is NO QUESTION Erdogan will go LOTS more islamic if he wins. And the Turkish military will get gutted. Which will leave Turkey in an interesting position vis a vis Kurds, Syrians, ISIS, and all that noise out there.

All the more reason for us not to be involved. Or bomb the heck out of them and don't worry about "collateral damage". Guess the islamists don't.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:31 pm

I recently switched tops on my 229 to the 229 because I can load more 9mm's. I tend to carry Hodgon's Critical Defense, which I think is a good defensive round. I used Critical Duty for a bit, but it's +P+ and I have an issue with most +P+ ammo. And you're not suppose to use it in Shields and I don't want a whole bunch of different ammo, all gun-specific.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:11 am

Well, per the media, the coup is over in Turkey. Too bad - for once I was rooting for the military.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Devereaux wrote:Well, per the media, the coup is over in Turkey. Too bad - for once I was rooting for the military.

I wish they both could lose.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:13 am

I think actually the Turkish military that rose up would do a pretty good job. They were, for years, the keeper of the democracy. It is only with Erdogan that the islamists took over and managed to initially purge the Christians, and now the rest of the opposition. 

It is not going to go well in Turkey.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm