NRA Certifications...

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

NRA Certifications...

Post by Cornmastah on Tue May 24, 2016 12:20 am

I recently attended (paid for) some NRA instructor certifications. I know that this isn't "real" training, but I got my shotgun and rifle instructor certifications last week. Now I am officially NRA Range Safety Officer, Shotgun Instructor, & Rifle Instructor certified. I didn't learn a ton during the classes, but I did pick up a few tips on helping teach beginners to shoot shotguns. I mainly did these classes so I can help take the local Boy Scouts and Youth Groups shooting (Boy Scouts require NRA certified instructors to take the boys shooting).

I will say it was comical to see people's faces when I showed up to the shotgun shooting test with my Russian Saiga 12g shotgun (24" barrel with choke) with a 13 round box mag. After I passed the test, they were very curious about it--so I let all the guys in the class shoot it. Glad I brought extra shells!
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: NRA Certifications...

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 am

Outstanding! I'll bet they thought you were either a terrorist or an "operator" with that Saiga.

I know it's common to poo-poo those NRA certifications, but on the other hand I think it says a lot about the recipient. It says they care enough to go through the process so they can put others at ease, and it says that they've passed a uniformly accepted test . . . which is a lot more than many high-speed shooting schools can say.

Well done!
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Gotta get this next generation exposed to fun and safe shooting. They will be the ones voting and fighting for our rights in a little while. I'm taking a youth group of young women shooting on Saturday. Their ages range from 12-18. I did this for them last year and it turned out to be one of their funnest activities--so they asked me to do it again this year.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 am

Way to go, Corn. You are certainly doing more for the youth than I am.\
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:20 pm

This last weekend I organized another youth shooting activity with 4 certified instructors and a few volunteers I trust. We took about 12 youth shooting. Everyone had a good safe time--their favorite activity was 45 colt lever action duels with my dueling tree.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm