2 x bullet load with cardboard wad for 45-70 fun?

Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

2 x bullet load with cardboard wad for 45-70 fun?

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:52 pm

I had an idea the other day which I think will work ok without blowing up my gun--and I really want to try it out. Figured I would run it by you guys before I do it. I've read about the old multi-ball loads for 45-70 as well as a few other straight wall cases where 2-3 round balls are loaded up into a single piece of brass. I have a relatively new mold (bought this year sometime) which casts a short 187 gr modified collar button bullet. I know you can load 3 x round balls in a 45-70 case, but I was thinking of loading two of these collar button cast bullets in one 45-70 case. I was thinking of using a modified 45-70 brass case with the primer pocket drilled out to punch out perfectly round circles out of a piece of cardboard with the sizing die. I want to use these as a bullet separator/wad to go between the bases of the two bullets. I was thinking that I would load the bullets base to base with the wad in between them. So the first bullet would get loaded backwards into the case, then the cardboard wad, then the 2nd bullet on top of the wad with the nose pointing the correct direction. I should be able to take a starting load for a 405 gr bullet or a light load powder charge to power the 2 bullets--like 28 gr of a5744 or like 10-12 gr unique or, 13 gr red dot or similiar charge. The wad should prevent the two bullets from bonding together so that they are free to fly their separate paths once they leave the barrel. Once again, this project is just one of those "do it because I can" type projects. I'm not trying to develop a hunting load, or self defense load or anything of that sort--just really curious as to how well the two bullets will fly when loaded that way, how close together the point of impacts will be, etc... Good idea? Dumb idea?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: 2 x bullet load with cardboard wad for 45-70 fun?

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 am

So I ended up doing this today. It was pretty interesting. One of the things I learned is that the 2 bullets do NOT need the wad in order to fly their own path. They do not fuse together or anything like that (which was one of the things I was worried about). With one bullet flying backwards and one forwards, they do vary and spread out a decent amount. The backwards flying bullets leave perfectly round holes in the paper targets, just like a wadcutter bullet. Anyways, I need to throw all the video together and post it online sometime.

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:10 pm