Prepping now...

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Prepping now...

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Just wondering if you guys are "prepping" now and taking advantage of low ammo prices & available powder/primers. What stuff are you buying? What do you think will be hard to get first? As for me, I am thinking of picking up just a couple more stripped lowers, grabbing a few more 8lb kegs of my favorite powders, and getting a few more k's of primers. I should probably be buying some more 22 ammo, but I haven't really been shooting my .22's much as of late. Too many cool things to play with.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Prepping now...

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 am

Any takers?

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Cornmastah wrote:Any takers?

Yep.

.22LR, .223, 9mm (ball and self defense), 12ga Buck when I can get it for on sale for a good price at the gonne shoppe. 77gr bullets, powder, brass and primers for the DMR AR.

Also building my duty ARs - a long range DMR build and an 18" fighter. Working on support gear: mags, mag holders, vests, GPS, knifes, canteens, first aid, generators, etc., etc., etc...

Most importantly: the mundane water, food and living supply reserves.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:17 am

CF, good reminder on the water... I need to empty and refresh the water in my 50 gallon barrels--it is a couple years old now. Not a fun job to do, but a necessary one.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Cornmastah wrote:CF, good reminder on the water...  I need to empty and refresh the water in my 50 gallon barrels--it is a couple years old now.  Not a fun job to do, but a necessary one.

You find the water barrel practical?  Costco has an online sale for one... hmmm.  My water is stored in 2.5 gallon jugs, 1/2 liter bottles, and repurposed 2 liter soda bottles. The barrel could be a simpler way for mass storage. Will it be for drinking, cooking, washing or general purpose (non-potable)?  BTW, don't forget the water in your water heater: 50-70 gallons of constantly refreshed water. Be sure to close the fill valve soonest after the event. Turn off the gas or electricity.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:47 am

I have 3 of those big blue 55 gallon water drums stored inside my garage. I treat the "drinking" water with tablets that supposedly don't make the water taste as bad and make it last 5 years. The other 2 are for other water needs like bathing, washing, etc... We purchased one of those hand water pumps so we can pump out the water as needed.

I built some shelves that go right above the drums, so we can maximize our storage space in the garage. Hopefully I never have to rely on that stuff, but it is nice to know I have it in case of an earthquake (most likely scenario where I live) or other disaster.

Check your water storage containers now and then. Some of the new plastics are designed to be biodegradable and will start leaking after a bit. I had some water I purchased in the milk jug style gallon jugs at my old place and they all started leaking after a year or two.

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:39 am

Haven't "bought" anything much for a long time. No new guns, no new ammo, but lots of stuff still to load. I have probably the least powder and perhaps primers but even those are moderate in number. Of course I don't shoot like you do, Corn. Just reloaded some .38 Spl that I have a cowboy load for. I gave my cop friend some 100 of them to qualify with. He was overhwelmed! They are totally accurate from a snubby and about as loud as a .22. Same recoil. He thinks he's in heaven.

Been having lots of issues with my 650. Some was stuff that I did, and some was stuff that broke. So I paid for a bit and got other stuff free. But it seems I was calling Dillon weekly there for a month or so. Hopefully everything is now settled. I am considering buying a second electric primer loader. I have one and it's a bit of a pain to have to adjust it for small and large primers, so having one for each would be the nads.

STILL haven't set up the .357 Sig reloading head nor the 5.56 nor the .300 AAC. I have stuff for all of them - just not the energy. And now with the new car to distract me ...

Still solid on .22 I don't think I'll EVER run out of that stuff. It's pistol target ammo, but it works just fine and it's fun to shoot. And it would be fine for shooting small game, etc.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Well, this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with prepping, but it does help speed up my reloading process a ton--I just got a new Giraud brass power trimmer. I am in heaven now. I can trim k's of pieces of brass very quickly and efficiently. Trimming brass has always been my least favorite part of the reloading process, but now it isn't too bad. The Giraud trimmer does all 3 steps (cut, chamfer, deburr) all at the same time.

Maybe if I had a car like yours to distract me I wouldn't be loading/shooting so much ha ha.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Sorry I'm late on this.

My prepping has been a bit more focused on what I will have wished I owned in the event that the elections go bad in November. Right now that appears to me to be the most likely bad event in the near future.

My primary focus has been on magazines for the AR and Glocks. I think I'm pretty well stocked now, so will likely turn my attention towards jacketed bullets. It's pretty easy to find cast bullets even during an ammo drought.

Events of late have got me thinking more about my need to become a better shooter. I've focused more heavily on improving certain specific shooting skills. Shooting handguns 25 yards more often now. When I'm shooting at closer ranges, I'm still trying to pick up my shooting speed. I spend some time with a double-checked empty pistol practicing draws from under concealment against a timer Also eating better and exercising, trying to lose some weight.

I like the idea of water storage, I need to look into that.

Here in middle TN, we just went through a gasoline shortage. For about 3 days you couldn't find gas anywhere. Was caused by a leak in a pipeline in Alabama which is a source of delivery to TN. It has me thinking about gasoline storage, although I realize that is of course potentially dangerous so I'm proceeding carefully.

However, the whole incident was an eye-opener. You've not seen mean and ugly till you've seen a mom with a car full of kids who's been sitting in a gas pump line for an hour because she needs to cart her beloved turd-angles to some worthless activity. Just a reminder to me of the fact that mankind is still a pretty mean and nasty critter.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:11 am

Civilization/civility is always hanging by a thread. It doesn't take much to cause people to snap and become animals.

Gas storage... That one is tricky. My main way to do that is to try to never let the tank go below half tank in any of the vehicles. That way, I can always siphon out what I need to top off one of my vehicles to bug out in case bugging in is not an option.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Thought about this topic today. Seems the general consensus in the media is that Clinton has already won the election, that actual voting is just a formality.

I don't agree with that, but in the end it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the public believes it. And at the rate Donald keeps putting his foot in his mouth it is certainly possible we will be facing yet another 4 years of a gun-grabbing Democrat in the White House. Either way, I think we're about to enter another ammo drought.

I've noticed that some of my favorite online handloading stores are running out of small pistol primers. So in the last couple of weeks I've purchased an assortment of primers from a local store. Should be enough to fuel my shooting habit for over a year.

It wouldn't surprise me if primers were the first items to disappear. I'm also noticing some of my favorite jacketed bullets becoming more scarce. If there's something you're thinking about getting, you might want to consider doing it now.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Yeah, I just picked up some primers on sale for 1k per $20. Tried to buy as much as I could afford.

Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Sorry I'm late on this.

Here in middle TN, we just went through a gasoline shortage.  For about 3 days you couldn't find gas anywhere.  Was caused by a leak in a pipeline in Alabama which is a source of delivery to TN.  It has me thinking about gasoline storage, although I realize that is of course potentially dangerous so I'm proceeding carefully.  

However, the whole incident was an eye-opener.  You've not seen mean and ugly till you've seen a mom with a car full of kids who's been sitting in a gas pump line for an hour because she needs to cart her beloved turd-angles to some worthless activity.  Just a reminder to me of the fact that mankind is still a pretty mean and nasty critter.  

One thing I do is make sure none of our vehicles drops below 1/2 tank of gas. We can go a long way without fueling up. And they both have a siphon hose.

Our water and food supplies are in good order.  Need to work more on training. And getting our fat butts within visual distance of "shape".

Still can't believe this nation would be dumb enough to elect Hillary.  Then again, we were dumb enough to reelect 'Boma.

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Seems like I tend to make my prepping purchases on Wednesdays. Weird.

Regardless, I just bought 1,000 Hornady 55 grain FMJBT 5.56 bullets (the bullet with the cannelure) from Powder Valley online for $100. That ought to hold me for a little while.

I love those guys. They always have the best prices. I buy a lot of Zero brand jacketed bullets and Missouri Bullet Co. cast bullets there, too.

Cornmastah
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Seems like I tend to make my prepping purchases on Wednesdays.  Weird.

Regardless, I just bought 1,000 Hornady 55 grain FMJBT 5.56 bullets (the bullet with the cannelure) from Powder Valley online for $100.  That ought to hold me for a little while.

I love those guys.  They always have the best prices.  I buy a lot of Zero brand jacketed bullets and Missouri Bullet Co. cast bullets there, too.

I also love powdervalley.  My coworkers and I order powder in bulk and combine orders to minimize the shipping cost & hazmat fees.  I will have to check out those hornady bullets--I think I bought the 6k pack about 6 years ago which is almost out now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm