Primer Performance

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Primer Performance

Post by Devereaux on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:36 am

There is SO MUCH written about how much influence primers have on a load. Yet with few exceptions, I have not had that experience. About the only place I found a difference was in BR4 primers from CCI. I purchased a couple K on sale thinking they were the usual bench rest primers and found they were for AR's. I was shooting my varmint rifle at the time and found a LOT of misfires - where the pin struck but no ignition. My sense was that the pin on the varmint rifle doesn't hit that hard as it is aa precision rifle. I have not used them in reloading any 5.56 but plan on trying them and seeing if they work well there.

But as far as ballistic differences, I have noted none. Indeed, even in my varmint rifle, while powder DID make velocity differences, the primers did NOT.

?Anyone had other experience. ?Any particular brands better or worse than others.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: Primer Performance

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:12 am

I have heard, and believe it from personal experience, that Winchester Large Pistol Primers are a bit hotter than others. If I recall correctly, they can be substituted for Large Magnum Pistol primers.

I have seen a slight increase in standard deviation of velocities with Remington primers, so I tend to avoid those.

If I have a choice of brands, and these days I usually do, I always go for CCI primers. Main reason for me is that they are a little harder than most, and I prefer that tiny increment of safety.

However, I have had situations where a revolver with a trigger job and a lightened mainspring wouldn't reliably crack off a CCI primer, so in those instances I preferred Federal, which are softer and easier to fire. Having sent that revolver back to Ruger to un-do that crappy trigger job, I'm back to all CCI now.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks, TJ.

I note that there is a colour difference in brand, and sometimes I load with that in mind as I generally use nickel brass. That's an old habit from IPSC days, when it was a whole lot easier to find your brass if it was nickel than brass, especially since everyone else shoots the same calibre mostly.

I load small rifle primers in my .38 Super hot rod loads. Technically they should be a little larger (longer) but practically I don't find fit issues, and they kind of act like magnum primers and with the hot loads in the Super it kind of ought to have that (I think). Wish I was more knowledgeable in powder and primer like Corn - and you. I just load what I got.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Well, to the extent I've learned anything, it's only because I had to learn, thanks to the Obama-Induced Powder Droughts.

I personally am about to gear up for shooting cast lead out of my 10mm. I've been shooting cast lead 40's out of my Glock 20 (with Lone Wolf 40 S&W std. rifling conversion barrel) and enjoying it tremendously.

I stopped shooting 10mm for a while, but am about to start again. I had a lot of problems finding a reliable 10mm load in the 165 grain range, which was my original goal. When I keep the velocity down around 1100 fps, the Glock is super reliable. When I start to push it up around 1250 - 1300 fps, I regularly get failures to feed. I tried stock springs, heavier after market springs, Wolff +10 mag springs, new mags, just about everything. I finally found a group of people who had the exact same problems with their Glock 20's and 165 grain bullets.

The general common wisdom is, it's a simple issue of slide velocity. The Glock slide simply was not designed to handle a cartridge at that weight with that much velocity. So the slide is reciprocating just a tiny bit faster than it should be, and sometimes misses the new round coming off the magazine.

The answer (I hope) is to move up in bullet weight with a bit less velocity. I'm looking for a 180 grain bullet at somewhere around 1200 fps. That's very close to the design parameters when the Glock 20 was created (which I understand was a 180 grain bullet at around 1000 - 1150 fps; pre-40 S&W days). If it proves to be as reliable as it is with my 180 grain 40 S&W ammo at 1000 fps, then I'll have a winner and can go back to shooting grown-up 10mm ammo again.

I'm looking into cast lead bullets for the simple reason is they're a heck of a lot cheaper than fmj, much easier to locate, and my experience with plated bullets in this caliber has been dismal at best. So I'll be adding another Lone Wolf barrel to the collection.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:38 pm

I know the Glock uses hexagonal rifling, but have you actually tried cast ammo through it. There is THEORETICAL reasons to think it won't work well, but perhaps they are just that - theoretical.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:56 pm

I haven't. I probably should, but I'm too concerned about leading occurring and building up, while I'm already shooting a pretty high pressure round.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Heck, you don't need to shoot a thousand rounds - just say 10 to see if it works fine in accuracy. Then maybe check the barrel every 10-20 rounds for leading. Not that hard on a Glock I would think.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 pm

When I load mid range regular plinking loads, I find that changing primers doesn't matter much.  When loading near max loads, I don't substitute different primers without testing a slightly lower load first.  

As far as primer hardness goes, I usually don't care which primers go into which rifles except with my AR's.  As a precaution, I avoid using federal due to them being supposedly softer than other brands.  I wouldn't want to get a slam fire with the floating firing pin.  

Lately, for my plinking loads, I have been using the inexpensive S&B primers with much success.  I've shot probably close to 4k of them without having a misfire. Cabelas had a sale of them for $20 per 1k so I bought as much as I could afford.

As far as lead in a glock--you should try powder coating them if you cast your own. Or you could try to buy some commercial coated bullets like from missouri bullet company. I have shot several coated cast bullets in my glock without leading.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm