.308 AR

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

.308 AR

Post by Devereaux on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 pm

I have always kind of passed up the idea of a .308 AR. I am not sure just why except that generally they are expensive. Mags are hard to find, the whole rifle is "different", etc. BUT I have to admit that IF you are building your own, it is easier to make an accurate AR than any other rifle. So perhaps an AR in .308 is a reasonable idea.

?Do any of you have one or have experience with one.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: .308 AR

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Weeeeeeell... I was able to parlay my Gander employment into a Savage AR-10 MSR Long Range.

At half price.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got it in my grubbies on it; after waiting 8 long, impatient months.

It was worth the wait.

I've barely put iron sights on it, and haven't taken it to the range (yet.) But, I'm damn impressed. The non-reciprocation side charging handle is a godsend with the stiff .308/ 7.62x51 buffer spring. The rifle stock is the new 3rd Gen Magpul PRS stock, which is (dang it!) a significant improvement over the 2nd Gen that I put on another rifle. Best o' all is the trigger; a guestimated 2-3 pounds with almost zero creep. Prolly the best semiauto trigger I've ever felt. The only thing I don't really like about the gun is the finish, which is a little spotty. Then again, it's a battle rifle -- who cares?  

I'll let you know when I get it to the range.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Those Savage AR10's look quite nice. Lots of cool features. I like the side charging.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Cornmastah wrote:Those Savage AR10's look quite nice.  Lots of cool features.  I like the side charging.

Just received my keycard to one of the best outdoor ranges in Florida - 7 miles from Rancho de Foxtrot. All I need now is a Kitchen Pass from the Princess and I'll start wringing out the Savage Long Ranger!
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

let us know how you like it.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Well, I'm still waiting for that range report, CF.

MEANWHILE back at the ranch, Palmetto Armory had a one-day sale on a complete upper minus the BCG and a charging handle - in .223 Wylde. It's a 20' barrel, free-floated handguard. AND a 1-6 Vortex scope. AND the mounting brackets. ALL for $500. I just HAD to buy it. So I guess this means I am about to build the first of my 5 frames.

My first question was going to be about a good stock for a distance AR. But looking at that Savage stock, it kind of looks like it would fit the bill. Will need to look into it and see where the best price is. But CF, you could put up any issues you have with it. OR someone can suggest a better one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm