New Stuff

Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

New Stuff

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 am

Well, I've been on a tear. As I mentioned somewhere else, I bought a new Sig P320. Then I found a Sig P239 in .357 Sig and bought that. Picked it up today. Messed up. The slide doesn't come off the frame easily. It seems to hang sometimes and doesn't want to come off. Other times it comes off. It has improved with some grease, but something still doesn't seem right. Sigs take down so simply and this one isn't.

Then there's the magazines. It came with 2. Both are Sig mags, in .40. Neither will fit in the gun! I tried, the gunstore owner tried - no luck. It became obvious they stuck part way up and any further pressure would only serve to jam them in there so it might be impossible to remove them. Spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said send it back and he'd either fix it or replace it. Fair enough.

Then I'm there and since this is a Glock store (Glock Kreig might be a clue) I asked about the new 19X. He had one. I ended up walking out with it, too. His laughing comment was, "At least you have ONE gun that will shoot."

Seriously, I rather liked the 19X. Among other things it felt like the grip angle had been changed. It wasn't a 1911, but it didn't point up like an anti-aircraft weapon when I grabbed it and pointed. Comes with night sights and 3 mags, 2 of which are 20-rounders. And the obligatory grip replacements for "fit". Can't wait to get back from San Francisco to take these out to the range. (And get the 239 sent out.)
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Re: New Stuff

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 am

I will be interested to hear how you like that 19X. I've sure heard a lot of good things about it.

If I recall correctly, the 19X is essentially a 19, with a 17 round magazine. I'm sure it will be an outstanding shooter. Maybe enough to convert you from those Sigs to the modern polymer world? Ha ha ha.

For the last year or two, I've been interested in the opposite direction, longer barrel with shorter grip, and lopped off about 1 inch off the grips of a 9mm Glock and a 10mm Glock, to make them more concealable.

The experiments worked, but shooting a short grip handgun definitely takes more practice and more focus on my grip, trigger control, etc. So my guess is that 19X with the longer grip should be pretty easy to shoot well.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am

I’m expecting it to be VERY easy to shoot. It is, IIRC a 17 frame with a 19 slide - so a lot like a Colt 1911 Commander.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:05 pm

2 of my buddies bought the 19x and really like it. They say it is easy to shoot and shoots well for them.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:48 am

One other thing. The owner tossed in a $15 part. It's a slightly extended set of take-down what ever they call them. It doesn't stick out the side of the frame BUT it gives you MUCH better purchase on those little critters to take down the weapon. Makes it SO much easier to do. I always hated that part of Glocks. Now it's a piece of cake.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Umm.... Who are you, and what have you done with Devereaux?

Dev, what happened? I thought you despised all things "Block". Well, whatevah, welcome to the world of Glock: plain, boring, uninspiring, unexciting, unlovable... workable and reliable. You waited to buy the ne plus ultra of the Glock world: Gaston finally removed those stupid finger grooves and improved the trigger substantially.

Congratulations! Let us know any findings. I'm thinking about replacing my Gen 1 G17 with the new Gen 5.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Actually Devereaux died and went to heaven, where he impressed upon St. Peter the need for Glock to “improve” instead of standing upon their “record” The little gizmos are one such improvement. I had a first gen 17 once, and absolutely HATED having to take it down to clean. Now it’s a piece of cake. ALL Glocks should be so. I HATED the finger grooves. Gone, like the 1st gen guns. Decent trigger (like the 1st gen guns). AND they’ve somehow modified the grip so that it doesn’t shoot at low flyiing aircraft when you grab it.

This 19X is actually a nice piece. And it supposedly still has all the reliability of Glock. I may actually get to like this puppy. AND I think I still have some of my old 1st gen magazines with the +2 bottom plug, so I may have me a bunch of magazines. Gotta go look in the safe for those puppies, but I don’t think I sold them or gave them away. They ARE plastic mags so they’ll bulge some, but as range stuff they’ll work me thinks.

?Do you have the 1st gen 17 with the light trigger. I did. MUCH better trigger than subsequent Blocks. I’ve never been a heavy trigger guy. Even my combat/carry guns sport 3.5-4# and toward the 3.5 side. My IPSC guns, to the consternation of the gunsmith that built them, both had 2# triggers - and I never had an ND while competing (or otherwise) with them. LOVE light triggers. I even use to mess with my military-issue 1911’s to have a light trigger.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Yep, my Gen 1 has the light trigger. I wouldn't let the Glock armourer "update" my Glock because he would have put in the 5.5 pound creepy trigger.

I like the Magpul mags for the G17/ G19X. I think they are a bit better, especially when inserting and letting them drop free. They are also about half the price. Never had a failure with Magpul. I've had a Gen 1 mag back split when the plastic failed, so all of my working mags are the Magpuls. In addition, Glock Gen 1-3 mags will not work with the new ambidextrous mag release.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 pm

So I think you should keep the 17. You cannot replace it, which makes it a keeper.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:32 am

Devereaux wrote:So I think you should keep the 17. You cannot replace it, which makes it a keeper.

Yep, I don't sell guns anymore.  I sold two guns decades ago, and regret both. The buyer has a standing "Right of First Refusal" offer in place. His comment; "You were stoopid, I'm not going to be stupid, too."

The 5th Gen has enough improvements to make replacing and retiring the Gen 1 worthwhile.

And Devereaux would have talked to St. Paul, the Patron Saint of Mall Ninjas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am