• Reply to topic

AR-15 Optics--What are you running on yours?

Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

AR-15 Optics--What are you running on yours?

Post by Cornmastah on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:50 pm

What optics are you running on your AR-15's, or are you using irons? Whatever optics you are running--what do you like about them or why did you pick them?
Charlie Foxtrot
.41 Magnum
.41 Magnum

Re: AR-15 Optics--What are you running on yours?

Post by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-Multi-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B000GEWB4S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397168960&sr=8-5&keywords=bushnell+trophy

Temporarily, I've mounted this Bushnell Trophy 28mm red/green dot on my 6.8 AR while looking for the final scope or red dot. Overall I've been really pleased with it, especially for the $70 paid. Through about 250 stout 6.8 SPC II rounds, it has held its zero and allowed me to shoot about 1 MOA.  

However -- the Trophy claims several types of dots/ reticules. I found changing to the different dots didn't gain me anything and did affect the POI. Now, I leave it on the singe red or green dot. Be aware that the supplied rings are worthless, buy some good 30mm rings.

I recently had the opportunity to look through a Trijicon and several Aimpoints. Wow.  I need to save my pennies.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 pm

I have a pair of Eotech's. They are the holographic ones, with the dot and ring. For an AR they seem to be fine. You can see with both eyes open and it is really easy to put the dot on a significant battle target.

Yesterday I shot an AR with an ACOG. It is apparently what the Marine Corps puts on every M4 now. It is nice, and has more distance options, but I am not sure that it really matters that much with an AR. And that beauty is $1,000. Indeed my friend got a "deal" - at $900+change. Darn near the cost of the rifle. But I suppose when you look at bolts, you find Leupold will set you back at least half the cost of the rifle, maybe more.

I have been looking at the Aimpoint M4s. "Only" $825, and Amazon will throw in the shipping free. How nice of them. Seems to me that price is higher than I remember about 4-6 months ago. But is IS a nice sight. Battery lasts forever. Reliable, durable.
Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:18 am

I've heard lots of good things about the Aimpoints. I was looking at the Aimpoint Pro Patrol optic which retails for around $400-425 on Amazon or OpticsPlanet. Aimpoints supposedly have insane battery life and are very durable. As for me, I really like the Eotech's for the shorter distances (100 yards and under). I have one on my .300blk AR pistol as well as one on my 15-22. I like the big red ring with the dot in the middle--makes for fast aiming. I keep some extra batteries in the magpul moe grip battery compartments in case they run out while at the range.

I have a Nikon p223 scope on my .223 AR15 which I really like for the price, and I recently put on a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP scope on my 16" barrel .300 blk AR. With that scope and my 150 gr plinker loads, I was able to hit my steel torso target pretty regularly at 500-600 yards. Quite a bit of drop once you get out that far, but a fun challenge. I've always kind of known, but have really learned this year how much the higher quality optics can make a difference.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri May 02, 2014 2:04 am

Well, I recently wasted pretty much a whole afternoon looking at optics. My friend with the Aimpoint ACOG is a total fan, but admits much of it is because it is what he learned to shoot with in the MC. His numerous deployments to the sandbox convinced him that the sight is pretty much indestructible (as he said, the Marine Corps gives it to its new, 18-year old inductees, and they are pretty much morons). I noticed that the reticle is better suited for longer shooting, if that is in the books; my EoTechs are far more suitable for shorter range stuff. I would guess they are also quicker to acquire a close-in target.

Best price I could find for the ACOG was about $1050. Then I went on wasting even more time looking at the Aimpoint Comp M4s. Ended up finding several sites that had it for about $700, and one that had it for $605 but it was out of stock. I left an e-mail to be informed if they get more in; at $600 I think the M4s may be one heck of a buy.

The biggest problem with the M4 is that it doesn't have any magnification. But you can buy an additional piece that does. And costs about the same price. Don't quite know how that works out.

One of the big benefits of the ACOG is that it runs on NO batteries. It has a strip that brings in light, plus tritium. I know that tritium will wear out in about 10 years, so it isn't quite forever. And the M4(s) has battery life of something like 80,000 hours of continuous usage. Continuous! You never have to turn the thing off. You replace the batteries about every 4 years at that rate. And it's ONE AA!

I have heard good things about the Aimpoint Patrol Pro. It apparently has great optics, but isn't as rugged as the Comp M4 (which comes with the battery tube high or low. The low position is the s; no other differences).
Cornmastah
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Fri May 02, 2014 4:56 am

Devereaux wrote:Well, I recently wasted pretty much a whole afternoon looking at optics.

Ha ha, I wouldn't exactly call it wasting an afternoon.  Sounds like fun.  As a side note, on all my eotech guns, I run the magpul grip with the spare batteries in the grip.  It comes in real handy when batteries run out. Only had it happen a few times but I was glad I had the spares.
Devereaux
.44 Magnum
.44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 am

I have one of those thingys in one of my MagPul grips. I probably ought to get another for the other one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:10 pm