Neck die

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Neck die

Post by sthwestvictoria on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:39 am

I have just purchased a .358 Hornady neck size only die. This is a nice piece of kit. It is a universal neck size die (no particular cartridge). Hornady makes a nice die. I have one in .30 as well. Now to get to work de-priming and neck sizing some 35 whelen brass.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: Neck die

Post by Devereaux on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Hmmm. I have a neck sizing die for my varmint rifle, since I only shoot those cases in that rifle. I also have a full sized die for when the brass walks enough.

But my neck sizing die is a particular calibre, and it takes a bushing for neck size. Indeed, I have a little box of neck sizes that I can use.

?How does yours work.

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:00 pm

As the die only works the neck they are flexible in terms of what the rest of the case is like.  So my .35 is for the whelen but would work on the .358WIN, 35 norma mag, 35 territorian (35/303) etc.  THere is a possible effect on concentricity in that the case body is not touching the die however the Hornady die seems to self-centre and work well.

So ideally you use the correct neck die however these universal neck dies are useful if you have an uncommon or wildcat calibre.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 am

I bought my neck dies from Sinclair International. I believe they merged with Brownells but am not sure just how that works. Still, you can find the site as an independent site. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-dies/neck-size-bushings/index.htm is the link. These are the ones I use.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 am