AA #5 Powder --- Any experience?

Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

AA #5 Powder --- Any experience?

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 pm

During these dark days of the Great Powder Drought of 2014, I have become nervous about running out of powder. Usually, I use Bullseye (for 38 Special cast bullets), Unique (for 45 Colt and 44 magnum cast bullets), Power Pistol (for 9mm and 40 S&W jacketed and plated) and AA #9 (for 357 mag cast and jacketed, and 10mm jacketed).

However, I've noticed that it's getting harder and harder to find powder in the local stores. When anything is available, the prices are so high that I'm better off taking te hazmat shipping fee and ordering online.

I started watching GunBot.net for powders. When a pistol powder becomes available, it's usually sold out in a matter of minutes.

So, this morning, I saw AA #5 come available and I jumped on it. Have 4 pounds on its way to me.

My question is, does anyone have experience with AA#5, and what calibers work best with it? My understanding is that has a similar burn rate as Unique, and I'm hoping it will be a good powder for 357 mag 158 grain LSWC. I'm looking for velocity somewhere around 1100 fps.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Re: AA #5 Powder --- Any experience?

Post by Cornmastah on Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Sorry, no experience with AA#5. I usually use Unique for my 158 gr cast loads (38 and 357).
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu May 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks Corn. If I had better access to Unique, I'd use it also for 38 and 357. I save what I can get for my medium velocity 44 and 45 loads. Do you get any leading with Unique with the 38 or 357 cast loads?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu May 08, 2014 7:39 pm

I use hard cast bullets and haven't noticed any significant leading--a little dirty, but no leading problems. I also use Unique for my medium velocity 44 and 45 colt loads, it seems to work well. My little rossi 92 in 45 colt eats them up--and it smacks the steel real nice (not too hard and not too soft). I got lucky a while back and was able to purchase 15 lbs of Unique at only $18 per lb. A local shop was getting out of the reloading components business and was selling it cheap. I should have bought more.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu May 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Dang, wish I could find a deal like that! Outstanding.

Yeah, I've been handloading just long enough now that I'm no longer buying 1 pound containers at a time anymore.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Unique is one of those universal powders that is nice to have around. I load 6-7 different calibers with it. Too bad my universal rifle powder (varget) is sold out everywhere.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Do you think powder availability will ever get back to what it used to be?
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Thu May 08, 2014 10:32 pm

I think so, although I do believe the demand will be higher than previously. There are a lot of people who bought reloading presses and equipment in the last year or two when they couldn't find the ammo they needed at their local stores. Hopefully powder/primer/brass companies will be able to increase production to account for all the new reloaders out there.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon May 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Success with the AA#5! Insert diabolical laugh here.

Tried it, not with the 158 lswc 357 mags., but with 200 grain cast dual end wadcutters for the 44 magnum. These are the soup-can looking bullets from Rim Rock. Evil looking buggers. Anyway, I had been using Unique with them, but got a little leading with Unique up into the forcing cone area, on into about the first 1/2 inch of the barrel.

I got a recipe direct from the techs at Accurate Arms, loaded up 50 rounds and shot them at the range Saturday. No leading at all. Plenty accurate at 13 yards. Average velocity around 1100 fps. I used to know how to do standard deviation calculations, but forgot. Regardless, the deviation wasn't substantial at all, and was much less than I usually get with Unique.

Think I might grow to like this powder. Next try will be with 45 Colt 255 lswc's.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am

Success again with AA5! (Insert diabolical laugh here.)

Since it worked so well with the 44 mag dual end wadcutters, I tried it with 45 Colt Rim Rock Bullet dual end wadcutters. Same soup-can configuration, but with 225 grain bullet instead of 200.

Shot them over the weekend in a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. Ave. velocity was 1150 fps. Std. Deviation was 11.8. More accurate than me, and best of all, no leading. Was no problem to keep the bullets within a two inch group at 13 yards.

This load is very close to the Buffalo Bore 225 grain DEWC I use when I carry it (and no, I don't carry it often in urban environments).

I think I have found a winner in my search for powder for hard cast handgun bullets.
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:46 pm

For me, AA is most known for being dirty. ?You finding that. I knew a lot of IPSC guys who used in in their Supers, but it was more powder than my Wihchester, and a whole lot dirtier.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am

I don't find it to be noticeably dirty, not any more than any other powder.

Even if it was more dirty, I am a-ok with that. Every AA powder I have used flows like water and allows very consistent throws. I tested a handload this weekend with AA5 for 40 S&W and the extreme spread for velocity was only 12 fps. At 13 yards the load was so accurate I was punching a single hole with a Glock compact.

When this powder drought is over, I will change over to AA powders exclusively. I like them that much.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Do you know if the powder it temperature sensitive? I plan on doing a lot of ice cold winter shooting here this winter. I'm looking for powders that still burn great, even when your boogers freeze each time you breathe in.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm not sure. I've not noticed any change in velocities with AA9, but then again, it's pretty rare for the temps around here to get below freezing.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:58 am

Resurrecting an old thread, I know.  TJ, have you ever tried hard cast loads in your 10mm with AA9?  The reason I ask is because recently I purchased an 8 lb keg of AA9 to load some 500 S&W, and I noticed that it appears to be a preferred 10mm powder.  I remembered that you did some AA9 loading and wondered if you'd tried it with hard cast yet. I'm thinking of doing a 200 gr hard cast TC style powder coated bullet with some AA9.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Haven't tried hard cast in the 10mm yet. My only 10 is my Glock 20, and you know they've got those weird barrels that Glock says don't use with lead bullets. I'm sure it would be ok to do it anyway, but I'm too much of a wimp to try.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 pm

I think I'm going to try it with mine.  I have one of those shiny Lone Wolf long barrels/slides which has the standard cut rifling instead of the polygonal rifling.
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:39 pm

I'll be interested to hear how this works for you. I would very much like to be able to shoot cast bullets out of my G20.

I have found my G20 to be a little sensitive when it comes to handloads. For quite some time I was trying to find a good, near-max velocity load for 165 grain jhps with AA7 (because I have a lot of AA7) and had a heck of a time finding a load that would reliably cycle. Once I dropped down to a load that was consistently reliable, it was only running at about 1050 fps. This is running with new magazines, and all stock parts.

However, with AA9, I can run that same bullet with a max load at around 1300 fps, and the gun never misses a beat. Weird. Not really a huge deal, because I've not had problems finding AA9, but I always thought it was odd that it had problems with AA7 but always runs great with AA9. Also runs great with Power Pistol.
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 pm

I will update this thread after I have a chance to cast, powder coat, load, and test fire some 200 gr thumpers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:44 pm